Book review "Hand to Hand Combat by Greg Thompson and Kid Peligro"

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay so a while ago I picked up a book titled :

Hand to Hand Combat by Greg Thompson and Kid Peligro.

Now I am a big fan of Kid Peligro's books and as always he
delivers with good photos and editing. If you are into BJJ, MMA or
in the military or going into the military then I would highly recommend
this book. Detailed instruction and great photos make this book a
pleasure to read. My only gripe would be the weapons segments as they
were very short and rather limited. However that is what I hear in
general about the military Hand to Hand program. (based on first hand
impressions from current Ranger's) Other than that it is a really good book.

Here is a link :
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9781931229432&itm=1

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay so a while ago I picked up a book titled :

Hand to Hand Combat by Greg Thompson and Kid Peligro.

Now I am a big fan of Kid Peligro's books and as always he
delivers with good photos and editing. If you are into BJJ, MMA or
in the military or going into the military then I would highly recommend
this book. Detailed instruction and great photos make this book a
pleasure to read. My only gripe would be the weapons segments as they
were very short and rather limited. However that is what I hear in
general about the military Hand to Hand program. (based on first hand
impressions from current Ranger's) Other than that it is a really good book.

Here is a link :
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9781931229432&itm=1

Thanks very much for that info, Brian. What's your assessment of their treatment of the striking component, or the way grappling and striking are linked in the techs?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Brian I guess I have a new book to read after this weekend.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks very much for that info, Brian. What's your assessment of their treatment of the striking component, or the way grappling and striking are linked in the techs?

Well the striking is very, very basic and only fills up about 19 pages. Basic jab, cross, hook, uppercut, palm heel, thumb strike, finger pierce, knife hand to the neck, head butts,Elbows strikes : horizontal, vertical, downward angle, Upward Knee strikes, front kick, roundhouse kick, stomp kicks. (they have different names though)

Pretty much it has a BJJ, MMA feeling all the way through it. With a few gun disarms and a little knife technique.

Now having said that Kid Peligro puts out really fine books. (so nothing above is a knock) Very technically laden with clear photos. I have never been disapointed with his work and this book is not an exception. It is a good book to have and I am sure I will use it for referance regularly.

Check one out at Barnes and Noble sometime and see if it is for you!
icon14.gif

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well the striking is very, very basic and only fills up about 19 pages. Basic jab, cross, hook, uppercut, palm heel, thumb strike, finger pierce, knife hand to the neck, head butts,Elbows strikes : horizontal, vertical, downward angle, Upward Knee strikes, front kick, roundhouse kick, stomp kicks. (they have different names though)

Pretty much it has a BJJ, MMA feeling all the way through it. With a few gun disarms and a little knife technique.

Now having said that Kid Peligro puts out really fine books. (so nothing above is a knock) Very technically laden with clear photos. I have never been disapointed with his work and this book is not an exception. It is a good book to have and I am sure I will use it for referance regularly.

Check one out at Barnes and Noble sometime and see if it is for you!
icon14.gif

When you look at a lot of the great work on realistic kata bunkai, they don't involve much more than those in the way of strikes. Punches to soft areas, knife hand strikes to hard areas, forearm strikes to throat and neck, finger thrusts to eyes and base of throat, low kicks to the groin, side of knees, and thigh, and strikes with the elbow (point and side) and knee are mostly what people you get in the work of Abernethy, Burgar and Co. So what you've described sounds right in the target zone. Will check it out—and thanks again for the summary!

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you look at a lot of the great work on realistic kata bunkai, they don't involve much more than those in the way of strikes. Punches to soft areas, knife hand strikes to hard areas, forearm strikes to throat and neck, finger thrusts to eyes and base of throat, low kicks to the groin, side of knees, and thigh, and strikes with the elbow (point and side) and knee are mostly what people you get in the work of Abernethy, Burgar and Co. So what you've described sounds right in the target zone. Will check it out—and thanks again for the summary!

Yes it is definately in the right target zone. Simple and effective.

Latest Discussions