Blue Belt Test

C

c2kenpo

Well success is only measured by what you instructor teaches you and how you translate that to real life.
Went up for my blue belt last night and my intructors did not give me an easy test. But I would expect no less from them.

Of course wait for my turn through 80 other students and 3 other adults to test. Then a combinations of Short 1 to Long 1 and Short 2 after two changes of angle then right from there into Long 2.

Then with 2 attackers we went extemporaneously into 2-man attacks with me only knowing what the first attack was. This went on for 3-4 times. And then they decided to take me through my technique list non-stop self-defense style go go go ...
so 54 techinques late and a few shots to the body, success.

Not easy but fun....of course my instructors say that now I need my own 12 attack personal form using just the material that I am going to be learning for green. I am looking forward to the challenge.

Just felt like sharing part of my Journey.

:asian:

Dave "C2" Gunzburg

OP
G

GouRonin

When I was doing Kenpo and they tested I always wanted to wait until after the test when they kick you in and then at the last moment pull off either "Thrusting Salute" or "Deflecting Hammer" on the kicker.

I kinda figured if you did that it would only serve to prove that you learned the material.

I never did...but I thought about it. Nowadays..."I WOULD." Ha ha ha ha ha!

:EG: :ultracool :wavey:

thesensei

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ya know, i don't even remember what i did for my blue belt test...but i do remember it as being the most challenging...maybe i just wasn't as prepared as i was for the other tests...so, have fun on the Journey!!

jb

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

When I was doing Kenpo and they tested I always wanted to wait until after the test when they kick you in and then at the last moment pull off either "Thrusting Salute" or "Deflecting Hammer" on the kicker.

Back in the summer I was invited to sit on the Grading Panel of another Kenpo group here in the UK.

At the end of the junior test, the first student up for his kick was a little boy of about 7 or 8 years old.

This was his first test, and he had just been promoted to Junior Yellow.

The 'kick' was to be delivered by the Chief Instructor of their association, and as the rest of us expected, he kicked the little guy with precision and great control.

What we didn't expect was that the kid would haul off and kick him right back... straight between the legs.

I'll never forget the shocked look on everyones faces.

Les

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Les

What we didn't expect was that the kid would haul off and kick him right back... straight between the legs.

I'll never forget the shocked look on everyones faces.

Les

C2 ... Congratulations! If it was easy, everyone could do it. Many can not!

Now... That kid understands Kenpo! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dan

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Sigung86

C2 ... Congratulations! If it was easy, everyone could do it. Many can not!

Now... That kid understands Kenpo! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dan

That sounds like Dennis Conatser at a very young age!:D

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Les

Funny. Did they go ahead and bump him up another rank just for attitude?

OP
C

c2kenpo

Thank you everyone,
The Cerimonial kick we leave in limbo for now as the test was held in public and in front of parents of our younger students.

Don't want parents thinking that we are going to kick thier child when they get to blue!!

What I did not realize until this morning when we came back to teach was how many people were actually there to watch me test (I was quite tired when I got done). A number of parents and students stayed to watch and came back the following day to congratulate me. These people are people who I have had some minor affect in tier lives or thier childrens lives and now they have shared in part of my Journey and that was a feeling that I was not prepared for.

I think that the road ahead is frought with many of lifes perils but I know now that I'm not going alone or with just freinds but with a whole family of people that are on a similar journey.

Dave
:asian:

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by RCastillo
That sounds like Dennis Conatser at a very young age!:D

That's a lie. He could never kick that high.
:rolleyes:

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

next time we are together we will see just how high I kick, Mister!

:D

I want a front row seat for that one!:cool:

OP
G

GouRonin

I wanna be there to see that too!

...oh...wait a minute...

Latest Discussions