Blending Styles

What do you think about blending styles?

• YES! The more you know...

• It can work, if done correctly

• NO! Mixing styles can cause a lot more harm than good.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Maybe this belongs as a separate poll, but what are peoples' opinions on how to learn different styles simultaneously?

1) learn from one instructor that knows more than one style, or
2) learn from many instructors that each specialize in a different style?

(All other things being equal of course).

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shizen Shigoku said:
Maybe this belongs as a separate poll, but what are peoples' opinions on how to learn different styles simultaneously?

1) learn from one instructor that knows more than one style, or
2) learn from many instructors that each specialize in a different style?

(All other things being equal of course).

Either one is possible. My Kenpo instructor has a strong background in Arnis, although I do not go to him for my Arnis instruction. I guess it would all depend on what the student was looking for.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Blending styles works as long as the basics are taught in detail for all the styles being blended. I've seen some bad blends such as kenpo schools that call themselves adding "grappling" but refuse to teach the basic 'stances and foot manuevers' of ground work. Things such as Bridging, shrimping, and maintaining positions get tossed out in favor of exotic looking submission holds. So if all the basics are taught blending is great, if not........

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nightingale said:
what would you say about someone who:

went to TKD on monday night
went to Kenpo on tuesday night
went to Muay Thai on wednesday
went to Arnis on thursday
and
went to BJJ on friday???

QUOTE]

Well they may or may not be a rock hard fighting machine after a bit, but I could bet my life they'd be pretty sore on saturday.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kenpojujitsu3 said:
Blending styles works as long as the basics are taught in detail for all the styles being blended. I've seen some bad blends such as kenpo schools that call themselves adding "grappling" but refuse to teach the basic 'stances and foot manuevers' of ground work. Things such as Bridging, shrimping, and maintaining positions get tossed out in favor of exotic looking submission holds. So if all the basics are taught blending is great, if not........

Good post!! The basics are key in any art, as they provide you with the foundation to build off of. You made an excellent point when you talked about the grappling. You can know all the submissions in the world, but unless you have solid basics (the positions) the submissions will mean nothing.

Mike

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
swiftpete said:
Nightingale said:

and
went to BJJ on friday???

QUOTE]

Well they may or may not be a rock hard fighting machine after a bit, but I could bet my life they'd be pretty sore on saturday.
More like burned out on Saturday.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
coungnhuka said:
i dont get it.

sweet Brighit bless your blade

john
Kan Go Ryu as is kangaroo I think, but you probably really knew that

scottcatchot

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kan go ryu... I just found my new style :rolleyes: .

I have a friend whose name is Yu Kan Go. We always messed with him in speech class. When he would introduce himself, we got up and left.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I voted in if done properly. You don't just want a hodge- podge of things that just sound great to learn. You have to use some common sense.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since this thread has been revived, I'll toss in my two pfennig:

There is nothing wrong with bringing in knowledge from other systems. If anything, I've always encouraged it, as long as it was not contrary to the teachings of the school at which I was teaching / training, and as long as the school was still focused on its primary art.

A long time ago, we had a fellow who trained in Dan Zan Ryu Jiu-Jitsu join the dojo, and he was a most welcome addition to the dojo. On the occasions where we were doing grappling / throwing drills, he served as an excellent partner, and I learned a whole lot working with him. After classes, I'd even ask him to help me out on some more advanced techniques.

All of this was fine with me, and the chief instructor, since we didn't let it interfere with what was going on in classes, and that what went on in classes was still Shotokan Karate at the core, and nothing else.

J

jbclinic

blending of styles is great training,but you can only attempt this if you do one at a time.first understand a system then you can begin blending or flowing from one to another.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nightingale said:
but you also end up with the student who wants six majors in completely unrelated fields.

and
went to BJJ on friday???

I've seen people do this!

I think if you learn one art, and then supplement, okay. If you try to learn five or six at once, you're just nuts!

Well, going to class once a week is never enough to learn and develop your skill in even one art. There needs to be consistent training outside of class. Looks to me like this scenario gives little time for this, unless one trains twice or three times in a day. I have done that: early morning training by myself, running during my lunch hour, and class at night, but it leads to burnout pretty quickly esp. if you have other obligations like a job.

While I believe it is good and beneficial to train in more than one system if done correctly; I also believe it is easy to overdo it and do it incorrectly and you will end up with little or nothing of real value.