Black belt with white strip?

Xaeyr

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new to Taekwondo and just finished my 2nd class (so sore!). When I started, the instructor gave me a black belt with a white stripe down the middle and asked me to wear it instead of the usual white belt. I haven't had a chance to speak with the instructor since then, so I'm curious if any of you have any idea why I was given that belt? I'm 47 and have never taken any classes before. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new to Taekwondo and just finished my 2nd class (so sore!). When I started, the instructor gave me a black belt with a white stripe down the middle and asked me to wear it instead of the usual white belt. I haven't had a chance to speak with the instructor since then, so I'm curious if any of you have any idea why I was given that belt? I'm 47 and have never taken any classes before. Thanks!

It means you have the bone structure of a TKD master.....;)

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never seen a belt like that. At the UFC gym I attend for boxing, I see the BJJ guys have a white belt with a black tip stripe. But that is 98% white, 2% black; it sounds like yours is 67% black and 33% white....odd to me.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In some styles, that's a junior black belt for people under 18, never heard of it for a newbie though...

OP
X

Xaeyr

White Belt
Reaction score
In some styles, that's a junior black belt for people under 18, never heard of it for a newbie though...

Me either, and it's been quite a while since I was 18 :)

Finlay

Green Belt
Reaction score
Usually it is for junior black belts

Did you see anyone else wearing a similar looking belt.

Maybe you are just that good :)

OP
X

Xaeyr

White Belt
Reaction score
Usually it is for junior black belts

Did you see anyone else wearing a similar looking belt.

Maybe you are just that good :)

There was a guy wearing a yellow with orange stripe one, but no one else with a black/white one. Will probably end up asking the instructor to explain the belt when I see him again.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You were promoted to junior blackbelt. Accept it and be happy. Yes, it's a bit of a double edged sword - a junior black belt at 47 hurts your pride a lot, but black belt after 2 classes puts you in legend category. Yin and yang.

Sorry, I'm in one of those moods :)

Ask your teacher. Every black belt with a white stripe down the entire center of it I've seen is a junior black belt.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You could think of it as most of us do as some thing to hold your trousers up;)

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
As other have said only thing I've seen is a junior black. But I truly hope not becaus if you've been given any type of black belt after 2 classes then that's some serious red flags

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally I hate those type of belts. Firstly they look awful in my opinion second it's so confusing because no one knows what true rank you are in the adults class and then it's a long struggle working out where on the syllabus they are. I think everyone should just wear full belts. The juniors are in the junior class, adults in adults and when the juniors old enough for the adults he moves up to the adults and then changes to the belt equivalent in the adults that there junior was

OP
X

Xaeyr

White Belt
Reaction score
Do you have previous experience / a black belt level in a different style?

The only black belt I have ever had was the one that held my pants up :)

OP
X

Xaeyr

White Belt
Reaction score
As other have said only thing I've seen is a junior black. But I truly hope not becaus if you've been given any type of black belt after 2 classes then that's some serious red flags

I feel like it has some other meaning to this particular instructor, just not sure yet what it is. No one else in the class has this belt. I just need to ask the guy I guess.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I feel like it has some other meaning to this particular instructor, just not sure yet what it is. No one else in the class has this belt. I just need to ask the guy I guess.

Tbh even any belt after 2 lessons is far to quick, maybe a stripe but hey maybe it's something else

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
You could think of it as most of us do as some thing to hold your trousers up;)

I know it's a joke, but that statement always drives me nuts. It makes no sense. Do you have belt loops on your Dobok/Gi pants? Is your martial-arts belt threaded through these imaginary belt loops? No? Then your martial-arts belt is doing nothing to hold up your trousers.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any chance the instructor was "Dissing" you by giving you this belt? I.E. he felt someone was a newbie know it all so he gave the adult a kids Black belt?

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I know it's a joke, but that statement always drives me nuts. It makes no sense. Do you have belt loops on your Dobok/Gi pants? Is your martial-arts belt threaded through these imaginary belt loops? No? Then your martial-arts belt is doing nothing to hold up your trousers.
Its a joke made by those that already have lots of belts and realize the true value. Or rather lack of it in some cases.

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
Its a joke made by those that already have lots of belts and realize the true value. Or rather lack of it in some cases.

While I understand that some martial artists place way too much importance on belts, I believe that totally discounting them is a mistake as well. They serve a very practical purpose (not holding up pants.) My school has well over 100 students. One's belt color is a quick and easy way for the instructor to look at a student and immediately know what he has already been taught, and what he needs to learn next.

Latest Discussions