• $belt_black1.gif
    $belt_black1.gif
    558 bytes · Views: 183

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ian,

Well Done!

Does this mean the beers are on you next week?

Les

PS
Thanks for posting the picture showing your bruises. It's always good to be able to identify specific target areas when demonstrating a technique. :)

OP
satans.barber

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thankyou again everyone!

Just a note, a few people have offered me a little 1st Dan .gif, I am actually just a black belt so the one I chose wasn't a mistake; thankyou though!

I didn't realise that EPAKers went from 1sy Kyu to 1st Dan, but we do have a plain black belt in the middle there, so 1st Dan will be my next goal!

:asian:

Ian.

K

kkbb

Originally posted by satans.barber
Thankyou again everyone!

Just a note, a few people have offered me a little 1st Dan .gif, I am actually just a black belt so the one I chose wasn't a mistake; thankyou though!

I didn't realise that EPAKers went from 1sy Kyu to 1st Dan, but we do have a plain black belt in the middle there, so 1st Dan will be my next goal!

Ian.
wow...now I'm confused? Is it some sort of probatinary thing?

P

pknox

I know when I was in Shaolin Kempo, you didn't get the 1st stripe until your second dan. Ist dans wore a plain black belt. Your rank was always 1 + your number of stripes, except for I believe 10th degree, where you earned the last 2 simultaneously.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by kkbb
wow...now I'm confused? Is it some sort of probatinary thing?

No. It's just plain black, then 1st red stripe then 2nd red stripe, etc. It's like that with my school too...

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wooooooo Hoooooooo!!

Yay Ian!! Good job!! So happy you passed!

How was the kick? Do you guys get kicked for the belt ceremony?

Congrats!!

:asian: :karate:

OP
satans.barber

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shodan
Wooooooo Hoooooooo!!

Yay Ian!! Good job!! So happy you passed!

How was the kick? Do you guys get kicked for the belt ceremony?

Congrats!!

:asian: :karate:

We used to get a kick...until Mr. Cawood ruptured someone's spleen with it, then the insurance company told us to pack it in ;)

It's just a handshake now!

And no, I'm not on probation, we just have a plain black belt is all after 1st Kyu :asian:

Ian.

K

kkbb

Cool... you have probabley already found that the students treat you differently.... Your rank carries greater respect along with greater responsiblity...
Your going to enjoy it...

On another note: Do you now train with the same instructor or do you start to train with someone higher?

OP
satans.barber

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Cool... you have probabley already found that the students treat you differently.... Your rank carries greater respect along with greater responsiblity...
Your going to enjoy it...

On another note: Do you now train with the same instructor or do you start to train with someone higher?

Currently I have no instructor, and haven't had since last Christmas really.

He's meant to be coming back in a few months, and it will be the instructor I've always had, nobody different.

Ian.

C

clapping_tiger

It may be a little late, but congratulations on your promotion!:drinkbeer

K

kkbb

Currently I have no instructor, and haven't had since last Christmas really.

He's meant to be coming back in a few months, and it will be the instructor I've always had, nobody different.

Ian.

I have read your previous posts in this thread and other threads, and realize the predicament <sp> your in. You should be commended for your dedication to your art and the loyalty to your instructor. But, I don't think that I would have the same patience as you, waitng and hoping my instructor comes back to continue my training. I may now be inclined to look for another instructor in the mean time. :asian:

OP
satans.barber

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have read your previous posts in this thread and other threads, and realize the predicament <sp> your in. You should be commended for your dedication to your art and the loyalty to your instructor. But, I don't think that I would have the same patience as you, waitng and hoping my instructor comes back to continue my training. I may now be inclined to look for another instructor in the mean time. :asian:

That would be very well, but, there isn't just me to consider...

There are 3 of us instructing at the moment; Dave's a policeman and Brian's a fireman, so that's two shift workers and me. If I went, the club wouldn't be able to open all the time since I'm the only one who can be there for definite on any given night. If we didn't open all the time, we'd quickly not be able to cover the expenses and the club would promptly close.

So, if I were to be selfish and leave, things may improve for me, but not for all the other juniors and seniors at the club who would be left with no club.

Besides which, my nearest kenpo instructor is Les, and he's a full two hours away from me. I have an eye condition which precludes me from driving far in the dark (outside my village if I can help it), so all through Winter I couldn't get up there even if I wanted to. Besides which, I couldn't afford the petrol.

Basically, it's not not at all practical for me to leave, so I'm staying put!

Ian.

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If I went, the club wouldn't be able to open all the time since I'm the only one who can be there for definite on any given night. If we didn't open all the time, we'd quickly not be able to cover the expenses and the club would promptly close.

So, if I were to be selfish and leave, things may improve for me, but not for all the other juniors and seniors at the club who would be left with no club.

Basically, it's not not at all practical for me to leave, so I'm staying put!

Ian.

Ian,

Your integrity is inspiring.

It's refreshing to see such selflessness in someone so young. I hope your fellow students appreciate your commitment.

More importantly, I hope your instructors (up the line beyond your club) realise what a loyal student you are.

Just two weeks in, you are proving to everyone here, and at your club, how worthy you are to hold the rank of Black Belt.

I am looking forward to meeting you next week, and shaking your hand.

Les

T

tonbo

Ian, I am obviously a bit late with this post, but I have been away from MartialTalk for a bit...;)....

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Yep, welcome to the beginning. As I was told when I earned my Black: "Now you are ready to start learning Kenpo....".....hehe. How true it is!! But, the journey is a lot more rewarding from this point on, I would say.

And yes, we are like your school as well. I earned a Black Belt and then went on to 1st Degree (just earned that last weekend!!).

Good luck in the future, and welcome to the Brotherhood!!

Peace--