BJJ Teacher Roy Dean on Aikido....

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
omething that didn't happen with Aikido, which would seem strange if it was truly stomping Judo.
And that was not the original argument, the original argument was that Aikido practitioners dominated in a 'few challenge matches' (whatever constituted 'a few') not that it was 'stomping' Judo overall.

OP
Spinedoc

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Most people don't study a particular martial art because of its popularity they study them because those individual arts have what they want in an art.

This ^^^^^^

Most of the Aikidoka that I have met at seminars and trained with like Aikido because of the lack of competition. Most of them are simply not competitive in this part of their lives and why they practice Aikido is for reasons other than winning fights. Many of the Aikidoka I train with seem to have higher educations than the general populace (this is anecdotal), but even in my dojo, our Sensei is a lawyer, we have 2 nurses with advanced degrees, 2 of us with PhD level education, 3 with Master's level education. At first, I thought perhaps that was isolated to just my dojo...but when I go to seminars in other cities, I find that the majority of Aikidoka I meet are professors, lawyers, doctors, etc. I don't have any good explanation why that is, BUT, I can tell you that these are people who, for the most part, are very competitive in their professional lives.....

Perhaps Aikido offers them the opportunity to gain balance.....

Just my thoughts.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think that the point Coach Dean was making is that lack of familiarity with a style or a range or combat can be a significant advantage.

Whether the story is true or not misses the simple point, I think. Also relevant, I think, is that Roy dean has black belts in multiple arts, including bjj and aikido. the message has to do with curiosity and open mindedness, two traits sorely lacking around here lately.

OP
Spinedoc

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think that the point Coach Dean was making is that lack of familiarity with a style or a range or combat can be a significant advantage.

Whether the story is true or not misses the simple point, I think. Also relevant, I think, is that Roy dean has black belts in multiple arts, including bjj and aikido. the message has to do with curiosity and open mindedness, two traits sorely lacking around here lately.

Exactly Steve, which is why I started taking BJJ too.....What's funny is....BJJ and Aikido are basically the same, and both seem to complement each other.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And that was not the original argument, the original argument was that Aikido practitioners dominated in a 'few challenge matches' (whatever constituted 'a few') not that it was 'stomping' Judo overall.

Well that's the same argument I made in that quote.

The issue is that there's zero proof of Aikido winning any challenge matches against anyone. All we have are tall tales about the founder that came from his students. Aikidoka don't accept challenge matches these days either, and that makes those old stories about Akidoka beating people in challenge fights a bit harder to swallow.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well that's the same argument I made in that quote.

I'll suggest your delivery style needs to change, because it truly sucks. Everything you post is abrasive and comes across as denigrating systems other than BJJ or MMA, whether that is your intention or not. That's an honest criticism.

The issue is that there's zero proof of Aikido winning any challenge matches against anyone. All we have are tall tales about the founder that came from his students. Aikidoka don't accept challenge matches these days either, and that makes those old stories about Akidoka beating people in challenge fights a bit harder to swallow.

This is a perfect example.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll suggest your delivery style needs to change, because it truly sucks. Everything you post is abrasive and comes across as denigrating systems other than BJJ or MMA, whether that is your intention or not. That's an honest criticism.

It's hardly denigrating if its a statement of fact.

This is a perfect example.

Again, if it's a statement of fact no one should be upset about it.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When your opinion is presented as indisputable fact people tend to get a little annoyed.

Is there some non-anecdotal evidence of Aikido challenge matches that you'd like to share with us?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is there some non-anecdotal evidence of Aikido challenge matches that you'd like to share with us?
So you know the entire history of Aikido, every fight, every private sparring match, every student, what happens in every dojo? Just because its not on You-Tube doesn't mean it didnt happen

Also I dont get the relation between "Challenge Matches" and self defense. Who cares if I cant win a trophy as long as it can save my life

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you know the entire history of Aikido, every fight, every private sparring match, every student, what happens in every dojo? Just because its not on You-Tube doesn't mean it didn't happen

Well we certainly have this little gem;

So we definitely know that that happened.

Also I don't get the relation between "Challenge Matches" and self defense. Who cares if I can't win a trophy as long as it can save my life

If you can't stop a takedown in a dojo, you're probably not going to stop a takedown in the streets either.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well we certainly have this little gem;

So we definitely know that that happened.
Ahh yes your Youtube bible

If you can't stop a takedown in a dojo, you're probably not going to stop a takedown in the streets either.
thats prob true, so its of your opinion no one training Aikido can stop a take down huh?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
thats prob true, so its of your opinion no one training Aikido can stop a take down huh?

I never said that. I was simply using takedowns as an example. Obviously a 4th dan Aikidoka not being able to stop a sloppy takedown from a mediocre grappler doesn't raise my hopes much, but I'm sure there is an Aikido technique (or series of techniques) specially designed to stop takedowns.

Overall, I would be very interested in seeing how Aikidoka react to standard attacks in a non-demo environment. For whatever reason such videos involving Aikido are very rare, which is why I find this video so interesting.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So go sign up at a Dojo and learn

That would be a waste of time and money (especially since it supposedly takes years to get good at Aikido). I'd much rather watch an Aikido expert do it against an expert fighter.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That would be a waste of time and money (especially since it supposedly takes years to get good at Aikido). I'd much rather watch an Aikido expert do it against an expert fighter.
You cant learn a style from youtube

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You cant learn a style from youtube

And what makes you think that I want to learn Aikido? I simply want to see it operate in a non-demo setting. Bjj and boxing keep me plenty busy.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And what makes you think that I want to learn Aikido? I simply want to see it operate in a non-demo setting. Bjj and boxing keep me plenty busy.
Why do you care then if your "plenty busy"

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why do you care then if your "plenty busy"

Again, simple interest. I enjoy seeing how different MAs tackle a problem based on their methodology. Which is why I enjoy watching challenge videos like the one above, especially when it's a high ranking practitioner from an under-represented art like Aikido.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions