BJJ is my Passion

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If a person wants to be a martial artist (in the sense of someone who is learning how to fight) and they are only studying BJJ and their BJJ class only covers ground grappling - then they are going to be severely limited. They will quite likely run into problems if they ever get into a real fight.
I'd find the reverse more likely.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
You don't think sumo is suitable for fighting?
Everything but the excess 100-200 lbs part.

Don't get me wrong, I love sumo style. But watching two obese men grappling is like watching "My 600 Pound Life" over and over again. I just get tired and go to bed.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd find the reverse more likely.
I don't quite follow. You think that a BJJ practitioner who includes striking, clinching, and takedowns in his training will have more of a problem in a real fight than one who only practices groundfighting?
You don't think sumo is suitable for fighting?
Speaking as an amateur Sumo practitioner, I think Sumo can help develop certain skills and attributes which are useful in a fight. But that's not what it's for. Sumo practitioners are training to compete in the dohyo, not worrying about "hey, this wide stance leaves me open for a groin kick" or "I need to work more on my knife disarms."

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Everything but the excess 100-200 lbs part.

Don't get me wrong, I love sumo style. But watching two obese men grappling is like watching "My 600 Pound Life" over and over again. I just get tired and go to bed.

If you stick with it long enough, you will start to see and appreciate the skill and technique.

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't quite follow. You think that a BJJ practitioner who includes striking, clinching, and takedowns in his training will have more of a problem in a real fight than one who only practices groundfighting?

The point is that I would more expect a striker with no grappling experience to have more problems than a grappler with no striking experience.

Last edited:

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Speaking as an amateur Sumo practitioner, I think Sumo can help develop certain skills and attributes which are useful in a fight. But that's not what it's for. Sumo practitioners are training to compete in the dohyo, not worrying about "hey, this wide stance leaves me open for a groin kick" or "I need to work more on my knife disarms."
Sumai

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The point is that I would more expect a striker with no grappling experience to have more problems than a grappler with no striking experience.
There's a legitimate argument to be made for that. However, it's less convincing if the grappler only does ground grappling and isn't adept at clinching and throwing.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is this expectation based upon?

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello Guys my name is Xeshawn BJJ is My Passion , i am here to connect with your guys who have the same interest of BJJ like me.

Hiya - welcome to the forum - many of us share your passion!

There's a legitimate argument to be made for that. However, it's less convincing if the grappler only does ground grappling and isn't adept at clinching and throwing.
Yeah, but I don't know anyone who does ground grappling without having at least a few good pragmatic takedowns

Latest Discussions