BJJ for 13 year old girls?

OP
P

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
My daughter started training yesterday. She liked it so much that she stayed for three consecutive class (Teen, Adult Beginner, and Adult). The instructor thought that she had previous training but this was her very first time training in BJJ. Needless to say, she's HOOKED!

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My daughter started training yesterday. She liked it so much that she stayed for three consecutive class (Teen, Adult Beginner, and Adult). The instructor thought that she had previous training but this was her very first time training in BJJ. Needless to say, she's HOOKED!
Congratulations!

I hope she continues to enjoy and improve her skill.

Again, I encourage you to go watch/participate in classes with her.

If nothing else, your daughter's new hobby should give you the warm fuzzy that she'll be able to pull the arms off of any misbehaving boyfriends (makes me smile just to think of it).

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
P

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations!

I hope she continues to enjoy and improve her skill.

Again, I encourage you to go watch/participate in classes with her.

If nothing else, your daughter's new hobby should give you the warm fuzzy that she'll be able to pull the arms off of any misbehaving boyfriends (makes me smile just to think of it).

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

I am definitely there for all my son's sessions but it will be a bit more difficult for my daughter since my son has wrestling at the same time. I'm sure I can work something out such that I can be there most of the time...at least for the 2nd half of the session. I dont play favorites but it is more critical to be there for a 7 year old than a 13 year old. At least we have a family friend who takes the class with her.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My concern with a grappling class and a early to mid teenage girl is the early to mid teenage boys...

I'm going to assume that adults in the class would be mature enough to handle it. But teen boys? Not so good... without good instruction & coaching.

That's where I'd put the emphasis first: finding the right coach/instructor.

(And, yes, I would have the same concern with girls competing in wrestling.)
I teach a combined teenage class. the class is usually 6-1 boys to girls. I have never seen one of them act inappropriately on the mat. I am sure that to the untrained eye some positions and techniques look a little suggestive but believe me, they are training hard.
None of the boys want to lose to a girl and vice versa. But most boys will not "slam" a girl the same way they do eachother. The girls usually don't care. They see it as serious self defense the first time they make a boy tap.

Get her involved with a good coach Soon and GL!

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why are you so worried that there be other girls?

When she is choking the crap out of boys (and potential boyfriends) and yanking their arms out of their sockets, that's a GOOD thing.

As soon as my daughter is old enough I'm stuffing her in Judo, provided she will do it of course. Kirk

My oldest daughter (4) is always interested in learning something if I am practising. If she gets a bit older and is still serious about it, I will teach her more, and hopefully by then we have a kids group in our ninpo / jujutsu dojo.

I am not going to force either of my girls into MA. However, I will encourage them strongly and support them if they do. I'd like for both of my girls to be able to take care of themselves. That and using power tools.

OP
P

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just wanted to update this older thread by saying that my daughter has been LOVING her BJJ classes. She sometimes trains 3 hours straight but usually only trains 2 hours/day twice a week. In addition, her grades got better and her discipline at school apparently got better as proven by her "Student of the Month" award. In the past, she's more accustomed to detention!
Obviously, she is learning some good habits from Ralph Gracie who actually teaches many of her classes and even trains her (and her partner) personally. She has no idea how lucky she is to get that sort of training.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I just wanted to update this older thread by saying that my daughter has been LOVING her BJJ classes. She sometimes trains 3 hours straight but usually only trains 2 hours/day twice a week. In addition, her grades got better and her discipline at school apparently got better as proven by her "Student of the Month" award. In the past, she's more accustomed to detention!
Obviously, she is learning some good habits from Ralph Gracie who actually teaches many of her classes and even trains her (and her partner) personally. She has no idea how lucky she is to get that sort of training.
Very cool! I'm glad that it's working out well for her.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well your not going to have to worry about her going out on dates. One false move and the unforunate lad will be face down and tapping for his life.:armed:
lori

Draven

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is there anything I should be concern with?

Any comments or advice?

I had 4 god-sisters who were actually like blood sisters to me, 2 were tom boys and where fine with wrestling and slap boxing with me and my friends. The tom boys are usually better able to deal with physical contact its the girly girls who get "happy" about physical contact. There are girls division and women's divisions in everything.

I won't worry too much if you have a female instructor teaching because a female can usually pick up on another female's body language better then a male will.

OP
P

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, here's an update on my 13 year old daughter who has been trainining in BJJ for the last 4 months.

She had her first tournament last week at the Rumble in the Redwoods BJJ tournament in Aptos, CA. She won her division and is now TOTALLY hooked. Her opponent was pretty tough but Isabel (Izzy) pulled off the win. She had great submission attempts and very good sweeps. Here's a YouTube video of her match...She's the one in the black gi.

Last edited by a moderator:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, here's an update on my 13 year old daughter who has been trainining in BJJ for the last 4 months.

She had her first tournament last week at the Rumble in the Redwoods BJJ tournament in Aptos, CA. She won her division and is now TOTALLY hooked. Her opponent was pretty tough but Isabel (Izzy) pulled off the win. She had great submission attempts and very good sweeps. Here's a YouTube video of her match...She's the one in the black gi.

Fantastic!

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Pyrock, she looked great! My baby is 'almost' 7 and I'm about ready to get her into it too :). My son's 11 and been chomping at the bit to start in on BJJ.

Thanks for sharing!

OP
P

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
Pyrock, she looked great! My baby is 'almost' 7 and I'm about ready to get her into it too :). My son's 11 and been chomping at the bit to start in on BJJ.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks!

Speaking of young starters, here's a video of my youngest who is 4 and started about three months ago, two weeks before his 4th birthday. He is officially Ralphs youngest student. After 1 1/2 years of sitting on the side of the mat waiting of class to end, Ralph finally let him train. Amazingly, he pays better attention than some of the older kids...

...and here's the kid who started the whole BJJ Fever when he turned 7 years old. This was at the same tournament as his sister and he also won 1st place. His 2009 BJJ and Wrestling highlight video is also on my YouTube page if anyone is interested. He's addicted to mat sports.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
OMG, Pyrock I was grinning ear to ear watching your 4/yo munchkin hehe. Awesome!!!
Yeah, I need to start training my babies in that :).

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My son's head instructor's niece is Kyra Gracie and apparently she started when she was 13.

My daughter is very athletic with a lean muscular build (ex-cheerleader) and is somewhat of a tom-boy. She is built like a young Kyra Gracie.

Is there anything I should be concern with?

Any comments or advice?

You've gotten some great responses so I cannot add much to them but I do have a good story..I was "busted" by GM Pellegrini at a seminar once when he caught me in the guard with a young lady..He yelled in mock anger /terror from across the dojang, "Drac, what are you doing to that young lady?".. I answered that the Instructor partnered her up with another lady about her age through much shorter and lighter, there was no challenge for her..I am more the size of a would be attacker..He agreed and we continued..

Latest Discussions