Biu Sao/Biu Jee

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's what my thread was all about: biu SAO is a good block. Biu JEE is a useless attack...again, in MY opinion. There is only so much conditioning that can be done for the fingers. At the end of the day, they are still far too easy to break or sprain for me to try doing a finger jab to the eyes. Think about it: the vulnerable areas on the body are mostly very small targets. Example: the eyes. The ability to hit a small target when under stress (example: being attacked) are severely diminished. Therefore, in my opinion biu jee is one of the most useless attacks in the Wing Chun arsenal.
When you think about it the eyes aren't that small of a target (the eye socket itself is generally 1.5 inches in diameter ) although it might be difficult to strike in hectic combat you can use it like anything else: when the oportunity presents itself. At the end of the day if you're conditioning your fingers for 5,6,7 years etc and have them extremely strong, you won't break them even if you do miss.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you think about it the eyes aren't that small of a target (the eye socket itself is generally 1.5 inches in diameter ) although it might be difficult to strike in hectic combat you can use it like anything else: when the oportunity presents itself. At the end of the day if you're conditioning your fingers for 5,6,7 years etc and have them extremely strong, you won't break them even if you do miss.

Exactly. I know who Sifu who has done what you said for well over a decade now. He suggested to us during a nerve strike seminar to do the conditioning BUT to also condition the Phoenix eye fist and digital thumb because those will get tougher faster as there are more things you can do (push-ups with them etc) and the underlying structure is stronger to start with. It's all about the effort you are willing to put into conditioning that makes it useful beyond a mere distraction and turns it into a weapon.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Exactly. I know who Sifu who has done what you said for well over a decade now. He suggested to us during a nerve strike seminar to do the conditioning BUT to also condition the Phoenix eye fist and digital thumb because those will get tougher faster as there are more things you can do (push-ups with them etc) and the underlying structure is stronger to start with. It's all about the effort you are willing to put into conditioning that makes it useful beyond a mere distraction and turns it into a weapon.
Talking about the Phoenix fist, my Sifu also teaches white crane (which uses Phoenix fist as the primary weapon) and that thing effing hurts man!

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Talking about the Phoenix fist, my Sifu also teaches white crane (which uses Phoenix fist as the primary weapon) and that thing effing hurts man!

Oh I know. It's in our WC repertoire but only for striking specific targets that are especially painful if you hit correctly. There are a couple of "soft spots" on the torso, neck/clavical area and the upper arms that my Sifu and his Sifu (the one who hosted the seminar I mentioned) have used me as a test dummy for. Even at like 50% it was painful as all hell. I don't even want to think about what a full strength one would do if you hit someone in the temple.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh I know. It's in our WC repertoire but only for striking specific targets that are especially painful if you hit correctly. There are a couple of "soft spots" on the torso, neck/clavical area and the upper arms that my Sifu and his Sifu (the one who hosted the seminar I mentioned) have used me as a test dummy for. Even at like 50% it was painful as all hell. I don't even want to think about what a full strength one would do if you hit someone in the temple.
Yeah the solar plexus strike with the Phoenix eye fist really hurts like hell

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah the solar plexus strike with the Phoenix eye fist really hurts like hell

There is one just to the outside of each nipple as well. That one about dropped me to my knees once. Sore just thinking about em.

Latest Discussions