See?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ive been thinking a lot about the concept of situational awareness. You hear all the time about stuff like criminals saying they look for people who look "unaware" etc... or guys like Tito Ortiz talking about fighting at a party and being so focused on the guy they were fighting that someone comes out of nowhere and hits em over the head with a bottle...

It made me think about somthing I learned in my Motorcycle Saftey class a couple years ago, and how it applies to our art as well... its called SEE.

Here is an excerpt from a site talking about the program:

You can learn to organise you thought processes and manage risk by
thinking strategy to help you. This thinking strategy forms the acronym
S.E.E.
SEE is a decision making process that helps you manage risks and
comfortable ride. Each letter of SEE represents an action for the rider.
S Scan/search terrain and environment and identify hazards
E Evaluate and predict what may happen
E Execute your decision based on your skills and your Bike.

I think that this series of skills could very easily translate into general daily use...

Scanning the environment so you are Staying aware of who and what is around you, evaluating that situation to decide if there are potential dangers, escape routes, etc... and if somthing happens or needs to happen, execute that action based on your evaluation...

Am I making any sense?

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:

Heh.

Situational Awareness! Whee!

I actually got to thinking about this based on a similar experience.

Me and my roommate were sitting in a chinese restaraunt eating lunch. Another student from my Dojo came in and walked up to the counter, never even noticed us. So I got up, walked up behind him, stood there while he ordered, and he never noticed me. Then I hooked 2 fingers in his collar and pulled, while tapping behind his knee with my foot. I will admit, I was nice, and said "Hey Brain" as I did it so his head could register that I wasn't some random attacker.

Needless to say, I have been considering how unaware we can be at times.

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Heh.

...Then I hooked 2 fingers in his collar and pulled, while tapping behind his knee with my foot. I will admit, I was nice, and said "Hey Brain" as I did it so his head could register that I wasn't some random attacker.

Were you talking to your Brain or his?

;-)

I am not sure a "Hey Brain" wouldn't take me out of the its-a-random-attacker category...

-Daniel

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DWeidman said:
Were you talking to your Brain or his?

;-)

I am not sure a "Hey Brain" wouldn't take me out of the its-a-random-attacker category...

-Daniel

Heh, his name is Brian, but we call him Brain. And I knew him well enough to know I could get away with that. :D

Tengu6

Green Belt
Reaction score
Techno, did you read Professor jeffery Walkers article on Urban Awareness in the Winter edition of Bujinmag? He has a great knowledge base on the subject and uses his skills regularly in overseas operations.

We will be brining him in to do a seminar this year.

Markk Bush

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tengu6 said:
Techno, did you read Professor jeffery Walkers article on Urban Awareness in the Winter edition of Bujinmag? He has a great knowledge base on the subject and uses his skills regularly in overseas operations.

We will be brining him in to do a seminar this year.

Markk Bush

Nope... I never set up an account.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Heh.

Situational Awareness! Whee!

I actually got to thinking about this based on a similar experience.

Me and my roommate were sitting in a chinese restaraunt eating lunch. Another student from my Dojo came in and walked up to the counter, never even noticed us. So I got up, walked up behind him, stood there while he ordered, and he never noticed me. Then I hooked 2 fingers in his collar and pulled, while tapping behind his knee with my foot. I will admit, I was nice, and said "Hey Brain" as I did it so his head could register that I wasn't some random attacker.

Needless to say, I have been considering how unaware we can be at times.

Indeed, several times I've been caught unawares and chastened myself for it, fortunately it was basically the same situation that a friend walks up behind me or whatever and I don't see them til I see them. Ceicei once caught me unaware with a rubber training knife from behind and could've/would've slit my throat before I could've/would've/SHOULD'VE done something. But it was in that "total trust/ total security" place that even then I should've been aware of the garage door opening and her walking calmly behind me and wrapping her arm around my throat and placing the blade of the knife on it. Goes to show don't take anything for granted.
Yet when concious of it; SEE has gotten me out of many a potential bad situation.
Sometimes you get complacent and don't even think about it. Not an ultra bright thing to do.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
Indeed, several times I've been caught unawares and chastened myself for it, fortunately it was basically the same situation that a friend walks up behind me or whatever and I don't see them til I see them.
HAHA, I know the feeling. One of my instructors (Rob Renner) snuck up on me outside the dojo, it was dark, I was getting my gear out of my jeep and I saw him pass by in my peripheral, but there is a alot homeless people moving through the area in the evenings and night and I thought he was one of them. He spoke to me (a Hi) but it was indifferent and I didn't recognize him, so I responded with like response. As I turned to get my gear bag out of my jeep (my back to him) I had this overwhelming sensation that I had to get turned around, I don't know if I saw him in my peripheral as I turn begin to close the distance or what, but it was like every nerve I had was screaming to turn around. I never grabbed my bag and spun around striking at him (he was coming in low) before I even realized that it was him. I thought it was real! I didn't think, I just moved and struck. When I recognized it was him, he was laughing, I then realized it was OK. After that encounter I have been much more aware of my surroundings.

I at least felt good that he thought my reaction was pretty good, getting distance and striking (my back was against my opened jeep door). It was definitely a lesson. :D

Latest Discussions