Biggest martial art bs stories

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The reason I haven’t responded to that comment is it’s obvious it’s just seeking attention. Posting that on a martial art forum is obviously done to antagonize people and start arguments
I agree, I think he really has issues with the time that was spent in a sport and competition style of Karate.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree, I think he really has issues with the time that was spent in a sport and competition style of Karate.

Just FYI, my style of karate wasn't sport and competition based. You're 0-2 bud.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just FYI, my style of karate wasn't sport and competition based. You're 0-2 bud.
Ah...so when and where did you test it, if at all? Tell me did you at least test it before giving an opinion about Karate...and if you did in the streets and survived, then obviously it worked.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah...so when and where did you test it, if at all? Tell me did you at least test it before giving an opinion about Karate...and if you did in the streets and survived, then obviously it worked.

I sparred against a boxer with far less training and got schooled. Fortunately it wasn't a street fight, or I'd be dead.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I sparred against a boxer with far less training and got schooled. Fortunately it wasn't a street fight, or I'd be dead.
Wow...one boxing match, your kicking didn't help you against the boxer?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's a different analogy then. Some use jump rope when they train. Some don't. Just because some don't doesn't mean it's not effective.

That analogy only works if there are gyms and clubs that force you to do jump rope, and if you don't do jump rope you're considered terrible and aren't permitted to advance in ranking or seniority.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow...one boxing match, your kicking didn't help you against the boxer?

One boxing match is all I needed. Did kicking help? Kicking only helps if you can maintain distance at all times. It doesn't take much to close the distance on someone, in fact I would argue that it's extremely easy. Which is why grapplers tend to do so well.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's relevant because kata is being claimed to be a useful tool period. Again, if we have effective and successful martial arts that don't use kata (some would argue that the kata-less MAs are more effective and more successful than the MAs that do contain kata), then clearly kata is an unnecessary and antiquated training tool.
So, if a MA doesn't use jumping rope, but is successful, then jumping rope isn't useful?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That analogy only works if there are gyms and clubs that force you to do jump rope, and if you don't do jump rope you're considered terrible and aren't permitted to advance in ranking or seniority.
That's an issue you could argue about people forcing it onto others. Which is a different argument than your statement that kata is not useful because several effective ma don't use them.

And FYI I have been to gyms where they state you have to start off each class with 5 minutes jump rope. Not sure if there was any punishment for not doing it.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
One boxing match is all I needed. Did kicking help? Kicking only helps if you can maintain distance at all times. It doesn't take much to close the distance on someone, in fact I would argue that it's extremely easy. Which is why grapplers tend to do so well.
Hmm...in the late 80's my old school sparred with a local boxing club, first we were told by their coaches to use kicks, the boxers didn't fair well. During that time, I became friends with Joe Hipp, we trained together often at his house, and one of the things he wanted to work on, was getting around the kicking in inherent in the MA's as he seen this as a weakness in boxing.

I find this to be an odd statement, did you have any experience with combat at the time?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, let's compare medicine and infections to training methods. Bad analogy is bad.

Then please explain why someone taking Karate for example needs kata, while someone who practices Muay Thai doesn't, yet Muay Thai is never viewed as an inferior martial art.
There are Karate styles that don't do kata. It's not necessary - it's just part of some systems. Including some systems that aren't seen as "inferior martial arts", like Kyokushin. You've declared an absolute negative, then tried to prove it with a negative. Neither of those works.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, if a MA doesn't use jumping rope, but is successful, then jumping rope isn't useful?

Per this silly analogy, if the MAs that don't use jump rope are having better outcomes than the MAs that do, then yes, the jump rope practice isn't useful.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There are Karate styles that don't do kata. It's not necessary - it's just part of some systems. Including some systems that aren't seen as "inferior martial arts", like Kyokushin. You've declared an absolute negative, then tried to prove it with a negative. Neither of those works.
Even though your logic trips me up sometime, I really do enjoy it, makes rethink some things.

Not really related but you are quick witted.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Per this silly analogy, if the MAs that don't use jump rope are having better outcomes than the MAs that do, then yes, the jump rope practice isn't useful.
Are you sure? That's not actually sound logic. It may be that the jump rope is moderately useful, but something else (used by the other places) is MORE useful. You've gone all binary on usefulness, and that's not how life works.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

And Kyokushin has spent the last 30 or so years trying to rival Muay Thai, which has no kata, and has largely been unsuccessful, which has led professional Japanese fighters to choose Muay Thai over Kyokushin.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even though your logic trips me up sometime, I really do enjoy it, makes rethink some things.

Not really related but you are quick witted.
Looking for reasons to rethink things is one of the draws of being on this forum for me. I like to hear others' views and have mine challenged with some reasonable logic behind the challenge.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you sure? That's not actually sound logic. It may be that the jump rope is moderately useful, but something else (used by the other places) is MORE useful. You've gone all binary on usefulness, and that's not how life works.

If all things are equal and kata offers moderate usefulness, then the arts that engage in its practice should have better outcomes. Unfortunately what we're seeing is worse outcomes by the arts that engage in this practice. So clearly something is dragging the overall training method. In my view, kata practice is part of that drag.