Biggest looser real looser

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever taken the time to investigate the show Biggest Looser? How many peopole have been injured trying to do the stuff some Skinny Biach is forcing those people to do?

Most physical training instructors Aerobics, Martial Arts, Yoga what ever are not qualified to work with obese or over 40 out of shape people. In fact most istructor work from a perspective of should look and be able to do what I do forgeting they have many years and muscle memory and conditioning that give them that ability.

The leading cuase of obesity is not just the food but self medicating with food due to deprsion. The last thing a depressed over weight person needs is to be put in a room with skinny bouncing spandex wearing beautiful people making them feel even more depressed before they even begin to hurt themselves!!!!!

Tae Kwon Do studio owners need to learn the real money is in helping overweight, out of shape and sick people which is a huge market.

I developed a specific style name and training just for this group with in the TKD Dojang. We do not allow people under a certain age with out permission to insure they don't make any of the over 40 and out of shape people are not made uncomfortable.

The focus of the class is based on physical, mental and nutritional training based on both Eastern and Western Science. Breathing based on ChiGong and Hapkido, Movements that can be adapted for all levels of ability and finishing with a final 10 minutes accomplishing a complete spinal passive adjustment that most Chiropractors don't want you to learn because you will no longer need them. The group becomes a support group of like minded people. Three days a week m-w-f and since they need to be away from general your general classes you can do it on your slack hours later at night earlier or off days like Tuesday Thursday Saturday morning.

Next thing you know 25% of these people want something more and start TKD. Ive lost people because they felt so good the looked at thier life and said Hey I don't like who im with I don't like my job I can do anything they leave town get another job. Also many of these people may be well conected and instrumental in giving more support to your programs for kids and adults.

The point to the training is to feel better and be able to do more for yourself and with your kids and grandchildren later in life not become the image of what advertising or the media is bouncing around in our face day and night. Why is the media doing this are they religous fat people and out of shape people are going to Hell!!! No!!! its money.

Western culture wants every thing fast a pill buy this or that because you need to look like that or you are a looooooooooserrrrrrrrrr. If they can depress you enough they can sell you anything!!!!!!!!!!

Biggest problem in the US in teaching MA is Eastern philosophy believes the individual is smaller than the goal two circles small and large and submit themselves to the goal with out question not worrying about how long it takes or how many times is takes to get there.

Western culture parents adults children believe they are important and the largest circle so the goal is small as soon as it is boring or hard they give up.

That is why they fail no life skills no ability to set and achieve goals. Thats why we have colored belts and people thinking they know better or won't do this or that they are unteachable.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever taken the time to investigate the show Biggest Looser? How many peopole have been injured trying to do the stuff some Skinny Biach is forcing those people to do?

Hmm...would you rather have a fat biach, as you choose to say, helping them lose weight? Did you ever stop to think that the reason why they're getting injured, is because the only exercise they've been doing is lifting fork to mouth, fork to mouth, while clicking the remote. Did you ever stop to notice that the injuries decline, as they lose weight?

Most physical training instructors Aerobics, Martial Arts, Yoga what ever are not qualified to work with obese or over 40 out of shape people. In fact most istructor work from a perspective of should look and be able to do what I do forgeting they have many years and muscle memory and conditioning that give them that ability.

Out of curiosity, do you have those qualifications? If so, I'd be interested in seeing them. :) Do you know the qualifications of Bob and Jillian?

The leading cuase of obesity is not just the food but self medicating with food due to deprsion. The last thing a depressed over weight person needs is to be put in a room with skinny bouncing spandex wearing beautiful people making them feel even more depressed before they even begin to hurt themselves!!!!!

So again, as I said above, should they be put in the room with a fat trainer?

Tae Kwon Do studio owners need to learn the real money is in helping overweight, out of shape and sick people which is a huge market.
I developed a specific style name and training just for this group with in the TKD Dojang. We do not allow people under a certain age with out permission to insure they don't make any of the over 40 and out of shape people are not made uncomfortable.

The focus of the class is based on physical, mental and nutritional training based on both Eastern and Western Science. Breathing based on ChiGong and Hapkido, Movements that can be adapted for all levels of ability and finishing with a final 10 minutes accomplishing a complete spinal passive adjustment that most Chiropractors don't want you to learn because you will no longer need them. The group becomes a support group of like minded people. Three days a week m-w-f and since they need to be away from general your general classes you can do it on your slack hours later at night earlier or off days like Tuesday Thursday Saturday morning.

Next thing you know 25% of these people want something more and start TKD. Ive lost people because they felt so good the looked at thier life and said Hey I don't like who im with I don't like my job I can do anything they leave town get another job. Also many of these people may be well conected and instrumental in giving more support to your programs for kids and adults.

The point to the training is to feel better and be able to do more for yourself and with your kids and grandchildren later in life not become the image of what advertising or the media is bouncing around in our face day and night. Why is the media doing this are they religous fat people and out of shape people are going to Hell!!! No!!! its money.

Western culture wants every thing fast a pill buy this or that because you need to look like that or you are a looooooooooserrrrrrrrrr. If they can depress you enough they can sell you anything!!!!!!!!!!

Biggest problem in the US in teaching MA is Eastern philosophy believes the individual is smaller than the goal two circles small and large and submit themselves to the goal with out question not worrying about how long it takes or how many times is takes to get there.

Western culture parents adults children believe they are important and the largest circle so the goal is small as soon as it is boring or hard they give up.

That is why they fail no life skills no ability to set and achieve goals. Thats why we have colored belts and people thinking they know better or won't do this or that they are unteachable.

Oh, so what this really is, is a shameless plug for TKD? :D I understand that you, like so many others, are passionate about your art, but keep in mind, there are countless ways to lose weight.

IMHO, looking at your eating habits is a good place to start. Talk to someone who can give you advice on what foods you should be eating. Start an exercise program. Ever notice how large portions are at restaurants? Cut down on portion size, watch what you eat, get off your ***, and start walking, join a gym, etc, and you'd be surprised at the results. As for pills...LOL...nope, just like people who think theres some magical martial art, there is no magical diet pill. Hard work, hard work, hard work, oh yeah, and hard work.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'll ignore the inflammatory prose, and just respond to the points in your post.

"Most physical training instructors Aerobics, Martial Arts, Yoga what ever are not qualified to work with obese or over 40 out of shape people. "

What qualifications do you deem necessary to work with overweight clients/students or people over the age of 40 years old? As an instructor myself, I teach all ages and body types. I don't see that the challenges of teaching overweight students or older students are any more difficult than teaching younger students or students that are more athletic. Certainly the challenges are different, but that is the challenge of being an instructor; identifying the needs of the student and identifying how to properly convey that knowledge to the student that is both effective and motivational/inspiring.

"In fact most istructor work from a perspective of should look and be able to do what I do forgeting they have many years and muscle memory and conditioning that give them that ability. "

I am fortunate enough to train at a dojang that has 2 7th degree black belts, a 6th degree black belt, and 3 5th dan black belts (including myself). All of them, with the exception of myself are 60+ years old, and have been practicing for 35+ years. I think that your statement is one of a young and naive instructor, because it shows a thought of egocentrism. If you, as an instructor, can only teach to those who are like you in ability, you aren't really an instructor. That makes you a conductor, IMHO. Anyone can conduct a class, but teaching a class is another thing entirely.

"The leading cuase of obesity is not just the food but self medicating with food due to deprsion. The last thing a depressed over weight person needs is to be put in a room with skinny bouncing spandex wearing beautiful people making them feel even more depressed before they even begin to hurt themselves!!!!!"

There are a plethora of variables contributing to today's obesity epidemic, and I agree therapeutic eating is certainly one of them. However, putting older and/or overweight students in a class with younger students doesn't have to be a negative thing. It can be a healthy environment to challenge those students, and to show them what they can achieve through hard work. In my class, we do not separate rank, age, fitness level. Everyone is in the same class. This way, younger ranks witness what the skill levels of the higher ranks are, and it is inspiring to the younger ranks. This can also be the case when comparing younger aged students to other ages, especially in the case of maturity. Furthermore the advantages cross over when speaking about older students and over weight students. Some healthy/athletic students may not have started out as healthy/athletic students, some of them start as overweight and through hard work achive their goals. This is certainly inspiring, I've witnessed its power.

"Movements that can be adapted for all levels of ability and finishing with a final 10 minutes accomplishing a complete spinal passive adjustment that most Chiropractors don't want you to learn because you will no longer need them."

I am a chiropractic physician, and active and passive spinal mobilization is I educate my patients on. Stating that practicing this negates the need to see someone in my profession is akin to saying that knowing how to change your oil means you never have to see a mechanic.

"The point to the training is to feel better and be able to do more for yourself and with your kids and grandchildren later in life not become the image of what advertising or the media is bouncing around in our face day and night."

You hit the nail on the head, I agree with you 100%. The goal of training is personal improvement. I train in Moo Duk Kwan TKD, and Duk means virtue. The western translation, however, does not exactly coincide with the eastern meaning of the word virtue. Our western understanding of the definition of “virtue” refers to trait or quality deemed to be morally excellent and thus is valued as a foundation of principle and good moral being. However, Duk is a Daoist concept, referring to virtue or ability for one to realize his/her own potential. Duk, or De in Chinese, is a subtle concept that is difficult to grasp in western society. The Chinese text, Doadejing, explains that De (Duk) is the sum of all power that is inherent in each individual that can be realized through the way (Dao / Do). Duk can also be described as the active, living, or cultivation of “the way” (Do). Master Mike Haught compares this concept to a “virtuoso,” a virtuoso does not play a violin from reading music, but rather plays through from his soul/heart. He realizes his innate potential, this is the concept of Duk.

"Western culture wants every thing fast a pill buy this or that because you need to look like that or you are a looooooooooserrrrrrrrrr. If they can depress you enough they can sell you anything!!!!!!!!!!

That is why they fail no life skills no ability to set and achieve goals. Thats why we have colored belts and people thinking they know better or won't do this or that they are unteachable."

A good martial art teaches self-discipline, humility, self-confidence, and self-respect; all of which address the issues you speak of about western contemporary society. That's why our students are such moral pillars of society! They have been taught that the world doesn't revolve around them, and where their responsibilities truly lie.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
That show gives unrealistic expectations to over weight people. The people on the show live their full time, they adhere to diets and constant training and the fact they have a tv camera in their face makes it harder to give up. In the real world people have jobs and a budget and replicating what they see on the show is near impossible. Also, some of the stuff they do on the show is downright irresponsible, on one episode they had all the "biggest losers" doing a 30 klm run. I run regularly, I am lean and fit and I would struggle to make 30klm and yet they had people who had done next to no exercise for the last decade, carrying way too much weight attempting 30 klm. How someone didnt die is beyond me, I just hope the viewers at home arent stupid enough to attempt this.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That show gives unrealistic expectations to over weight people. The people on the show live their full time, they adhere to diets and constant training and the fact they have a tv camera in their face makes it harder to give up. In the real world people have jobs and a budget and replicating what they see on the show is near impossible. Also, some of the stuff they do on the show is downright irresponsible, on one episode they had all the "biggest losers" doing a 30 klm run. I run regularly, I am lean and fit and I would struggle to make 30klm and yet they had people who had done next to no exercise for the last decade, carrying way too much weight attempting 30 klm. How someone didnt die is beyond me, I just hope the viewers at home arent stupid enough to attempt this.

I've said to my wife, many times, that I can't believe that they have these huge people, who dont exercise, run a half marathon. Hopefully these people are being constantly monitored. Personally, I'm of the belief that you need to start off slow, gradually building up.

But then again, I'm not a trainer, I'm not on the show, so who knows. I dont believe anyone has died yet, and hopefully it'll stay that way.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the show. I watch it. I think it is a very motivational show to even myself. I'm skinny and yet I find it motivating what they accomplish.

There is alot that goes on behind the scenes that dont get added in the show, like doctor supervision and on-staff medical personel constantly monitoring them.

Regardless of whats been said here prior to me, I think the show is pretty good. Jill and Bob are damn good trainers from what i see. and get results...

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the show. I watch it. I think it is a very motivational show to even myself. I'm skinny and yet I find it motivating what they accomplish.

There is alot that goes on behind the scenes that dont get added in the show, like doctor supervision and on-staff medical personel constantly monitoring them.

Regardless of whats been said here prior to me, I think the show is pretty good. Jill and Bob are damn good trainers from what i see. and get results...

oh... and jill used to be a fat girl!!!!! so she has some first hand experience on being fat and loosing wieght.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hey its on.... gotta go
icon12.gif

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

oh... and jill used to be a fat girl!!!!! so she has some first hand experience on being fat and loosing wieght.

My wife and I watch the show as well, and we both enjoy it. I do give the contestants alot of credit for what they do, and the goals that they reach.

While the methods may seem harsh, Bob and Jill are getting results. :) Personally, I would love to have access to either of them, even if it was for no more than a week.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I don't know, I think the billions of commercials that tell them the next new pill will have them lose weight without moving off the couch are more unrealistic. I am not watching the show as I don't do reality TV.
But frankly there is only one way to lose weight: move more, eat less.

OP
Master Dan

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok now I have hit a real nerve for those of you who feel atacked but you are not the issue and your feelings are not the issue. And don't give me your crap about credentials of trainers or style or credos None of you have spent $4 million personally on the best doctors and surgeons for terminal child in the US over 8 years. The one thing I learned as I hired and fired them was they taught me that you are the best judge of your own body or your child and don't let any one tell you different. Doctors and experts all can have bias, or mental issues that make them the wrong person to deal with.

Titles and degrees do not make good doctors or instructors Period!!! The point is the mentality of how you work with those who are overweight or out of shape or over 50. I have personally traveled nation wide and seen young people forcing people over 40 to do training that is for teenagers rediculous!!

My point is that people have to train enough to get inshape enough to train. I did not imply the instructor had to be fat but must change thier thoughts on what an obese or out of shape person should do during the work out instead of look at me what I can do. but its not how far you stretch but doing it properly whats right for you today.

The comment of well yeh there fat of course they are going to get injured makes my point its a judgement call on part of the person doing the training. The point to training is like slow consistant progress with out injury. My GM who was one of the best fighters in the world and first cousin to Mas Yama told us to much running is bad it wears out parts of your body instead when we were on the track sprint 100 yards then slow down recover your heart rate for a time then sprint again this is more like fighting fast then slow. He also always stresed that overtrianing to injury was stoopid becasue your training will go up and down like a roller coaster and eventually you stop training be more like a train takes time to build speed and then constant then slow down you should always control your effort not collapse at the end.

There are ton of specifics if you don't know them work with successfull health care professionals that means they actually do a good job based on thier customer base not thier money or degrees. I recomend chiropractic, nutritionists, naturopathic, orthopedic surgeons, Physical theropy. The good ones are happy to share knowledge with you for free. Once you have started a good class they will even refer thier patients to you for training and theropy with suggestions of what they can and should not do. Now you have a free referal to increase your membership and you need to collect letters of reference from these health care professionals it will help you do more in the future.

Also the statement about this or that person over 60 who has trained for 50 years and can do this or that its not about them its about taking people off the couch some who have never been off the couch and giving them something to do that makes them feel better every time they come and feeling good about who they are today regardless of were they would like to be. Giving them a scure non judgemental enviroment to do this is half the battle.

Diet is a negative word. Healthy eating and lifestyle change is a much more effective. If you want to feel ten years younger in general eliminate all cofee and cafeen, yes you will go through emotional and physical withdrawle but with increased water and changing to Ginseng the effects are dramtic and an increase in energy and decrease in pain.

In my area you loose one cup of water for every 15 minutes outside just breathing at 20 below. However orthopedic surgeons say that 80% of their surgeries are related coffee and tobacco use related to dehydration and the carsonogenic substances that attack joints and skelatal disks and pads.

For the average Master or instructor (not you super elite) teaching a class that three days a week has 45 minutes of just breathing and stretching in it will increase your flexability by 100% and you will be able to do forms flat out cold with out warm up.

Leeding cause of death in US of ages over 55 are falls or related complications due to falls. Now you are not going to teach old or out of shape peopel to fall but giving them balance by strength training that is circular not linear will decrease thier chances of stepping wrong or having a bad fall by 100%

Being Ignorant is not a negative term it just means you have not learned yet Stoopid is refusing to learn. Quote my father

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
However orthopedic surgeons say that 80% of their surgeries are related coffee and tobacco use related to dehydration and the carsonogenic substances that attack joints and skelatal disks and pads.

interesting, never heard of that....

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok now I have hit a real nerve for those of you who feel atacked but you are not the issue and your feelings are not the issue. And don't give me your crap about credentials of trainers or style or credos None of you have spent $4 million personally on the best doctors and surgeons for terminal child in the US over 8 years. The one thing I learned as I hired and fired them was they taught me that you are the best judge of your own body or your child and don't let any one tell you different. Doctors and experts all can have bias, or mental issues that make them the wrong person to deal with.

Titles and degrees do not make good doctors or instructors Period!!! The point is the mentality of how you work with those who are overweight or out of shape or over 50. I have personally traveled nation wide and seen young people forcing people over 40 to do training that is for teenagers rediculous!!

My point is that people have to train enough to get inshape enough to train. I did not imply the instructor had to be fat but must change thier thoughts on what an obese or out of shape person should do during the work out instead of look at me what I can do. but its not how far you stretch but doing it properly whats right for you today.

The comment of well yeh there fat of course they are going to get injured makes my point its a judgement call on part of the person doing the training. The point to training is like slow consistant progress with out injury. My GM who was one of the best fighters in the world and first cousin to Mas Yama told us to much running is bad it wears out parts of your body instead when we were on the track sprint 100 yards then slow down recover your heart rate for a time then sprint again this is more like fighting fast then slow. He also always stresed that overtrianing to injury was stoopid becasue your training will go up and down like a roller coaster and eventually you stop training be more like a train takes time to build speed and then constant then slow down you should always control your effort not collapse at the end.

There are ton of specifics if you don't know them work with successfull health care professionals that means they actually do a good job based on thier customer base not thier money or degrees. I recomend chiropractic, nutritionists, naturopathic, orthopedic surgeons, Physical theropy. The good ones are happy to share knowledge with you for free. Once you have started a good class they will even refer thier patients to you for training and theropy with suggestions of what they can and should not do. Now you have a free referal to increase your membership and you need to collect letters of reference from these health care professionals it will help you do more in the future.

Also the statement about this or that person over 60 who has trained for 50 years and can do this or that its not about them its about taking people off the couch some who have never been off the couch and giving them something to do that makes them feel better every time they come and feeling good about who they are today regardless of were they would like to be. Giving them a scure non judgemental enviroment to do this is half the battle.

Diet is a negative word. Healthy eating and lifestyle change is a much more effective. If you want to feel ten years younger in general eliminate all cofee and cafeen, yes you will go through emotional and physical withdrawle but with increased water and changing to Ginseng the effects are dramtic and an increase in energy and decrease in pain.

In my area you loose one cup of water for every 15 minutes outside just breathing at 20 below. However orthopedic surgeons say that 80% of their surgeries are related coffee and tobacco use related to dehydration and the carsonogenic substances that attack joints and skelatal disks and pads.

For the average Master or instructor (not you super elite) teaching a class that three days a week has 45 minutes of just breathing and stretching in it will increase your flexability by 100% and you will be able to do forms flat out cold with out warm up.

Leeding cause of death in US of ages over 55 are falls or related complications due to falls. Now you are not going to teach old or out of shape peopel to fall but giving them balance by strength training that is circular not linear will decrease thier chances of stepping wrong or having a bad fall by 100%

Being Ignorant is not a negative term it just means you have not learned yet Stoopid is refusing to learn. Quote my father

WOW, you come off like quite the know it all, dont you! Actually, you didn't hit a nerve with me, at least, but it just amazes me, with some of your posts, and the way you word things....like you're the only one with all the answers. News flash for ya pal, you dont have them all!

As I said, which I'll say again....TKD isn't the only way to lose weight. And yes, credentials do play a part. Its one thing to have someone with the creds. to back what they say, and another to have someone just flapping away.

Why is diet a negative word? If you read what I said earlier, I did mention watching what you eat.

On a side note, this is the 2nd post, of many, that, well...is pretty insulting and rude. Maybe you should read the forum rules before you post. :) I mean, look at your first post....skinny biatch. Nice, real nice.

OP
Master Dan

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

thank you thank you my point exactly!!!! and all the over weight people or kids watching that are just getting one more thing shoved in there face that says if you do not look like this your not worthy?

The show exploits these people and a few survive? I really wonder if investigated how many they have injured? Oh the personal injury attorneys should be listening? Oh and by the way there is no waver in the world that cannot be overturned if the plaintiff can prove neglagence on part of the trainer, school or activity.

If this country wants to solve it health care costs it will have to change its approach to alternative education and trianing for prevention not treatment.

Corporate American revolves around addictions. They have addicted us to large portions, additives and treatment instead of prevention and self healing. Insurance companies have learned it is cheaper to withhold treatment for seniors till it is to late so they may only have to pay for short terminal care. sad to say some employers are the same a short death is better than a long treatment.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The difference between this show and what the majority of overweight people do, is that the people on the show, are working out for hours at a time, multiple times a day. As for the injuries...of course, as I said, if all you do is sit on your *** and eat, of course when you start really pushing yourself, injuries do happen. I've yet to see anyone die on the show though. Of course, the show has also changed the lives of numerous people, so its not all bad.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ahhh... i got lost somewhere. I'm checking out. enjoy the thread.

oh... and I still like the show.
icon10.gif
till next week!

Latest Discussions