Better understanding the Twin Forearm/Square Block

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Azulx

The twin forearm block as it relates to its use and function can have many applications and there are several ways to go about looking at the possible uses of it.

1) Look at the motion (technique) as it is used in your kata, what precedes the technique, as it is executed, the footwork and the follow up.

Iain Abernethy shows this to be a block and figure four lock using the sequence as he practices it in Wado.

Another common application (for the Pinan inspired kata from both karate and TKD) is that it is a block on the inside of the arm with the front hand, and the hand held high leads the appearance that face is open thus the attacker feeds in a cross punch with his other hand. Drawing the 2nd attack the front hand cross blocks on the inside of that arm while the rear hand swings down and strikes on the outside of the elbow to injure it. Thus opening up the center of the body for the finishing punch in the sequence.

2) Look at the technique in it's individualized execution. In other words as a stand alone technique.

3) Look at the commonality of the individualized execution of the technique and how it relates to other techniques or concepts outside of your primary art. For instance as I wrote before in my first post there are two different ways I have been taught that the hands travel during the block. In Wado (Japanese karate) the hands took a circular path (they traveled in an arc), in the TKD I study they travel in a more straight line from the rear hip towards the front.

The arcing type motion (of the block) can block a technique coming in from the side with a hooking or swinging type motion like a hook punch. Whereas the more straight line method I think lends itself to be more of blocking the upward type of attack. In the Kobudo class I'm in we have a stance/posture called an upper guard, basically a twin forearm block hand position with a bo held in our hands. So the same type of principles of blocking can be used with the bo, the circular motion can deflect a strike that is coming in from the side on the diagonal angle. The more straight line method gets the bo into the over head guard position faster to protect your head.

In Modern Arnis (and the FMAs in general) we have the Crossada/ Umbrella type motion where the hands are crossed and uncrossed, the uncrossing of the hands brings them into the same position as the twin forearm block although it is a reverse motion as in that they were crossed and then pulled or spread apart. This can be done with empty hand and weapons (double stick, single stick, stick and knife, knife, double knife, sai, tonfa, kama etc. etc.), and this could be a block and pass type application, or a double hit and pass type application.

I hope this might help you in regards to your search for better understanding of how the twin forearm can be used.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As with many movements, using them proactivley seems eminetly more practical than using them as blocks.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions