Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Rollerball" is indeed great; I still recall seeing it for the first time in our school 'cinema'. In the Assembly Hall, one evening a month, some of the teachers used to put a film and then have a little 'tutorial' afterwards about the method of story-telling or the themes within it. I remember seeing "Rollerball", "On Her Majesties Secret Service" (my intro to James Bond :D), "Lord of the Flies" and "Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge".

Best sports flick tho ... hmmm ... not sure. It's certainly good because it has an intrinsic discussion of 'future' society embedded in it, as Elder noted.

Maybe "Le Mans"? I know that as a 'film' per se it's not dramaatically fabulous (despite the efforts that went into making it) but it's approach was very innovative. If you're a petrol-head then it's worth a watch regardless but if you haven't seen it before, be warned that is essentially an edit of a car race :D.

A better pick might be "Chariots of Fire" - a very good film indeed. I suppose it might not be considered a 'sports flick' in the strict sense of the word tho' as it's nominally about athletics.

P.S. As an aside, those that haven't seen "Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" can find it here (it's pretty short and made in the early 60's but it will not be a waste of your time) : http://www.liketelevision.com/liketelevision/tuner.php?channel=139&format=movie&theme=guide

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
"A better pick might be "Chariots of Fire" - a very good film indeed. I suppose it might not be considered a 'sports flick' in the strict sense of the word tho' as it's nominally about athletics.

'at's a good one!

"P.S. As an aside, those that haven't seen "Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" can find it here (it's pretty short and made in the early 60's but it will not be a waste of your time) : http://www.liketelevision.com/liketelevision/tuner.php?channel=139&format=movie&theme=guide

The only Twilight Zone episode not made for the show.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh, wow, there are so many. I love the ones already mentioned. I also love Requiem for a Heavyweight and Somebody up There Likes Me, Phar Lap, The Hustler, Brian's Song and the original Longest Yard.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm surprised that no one so far has mentioned the original Rocky movie, that was always a classic. The first Best of the Best was good as well as Warrior.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm surprised that no one so far has mentioned the original Rocky movie, that was always a classic. The first Best of the Best was good as well as Warrior.

It just doesn't get any better than Rocky. It just doesn't.

Catalyst

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One of my favorite movie comedies (sports related or otherwise) is "Major League"
--- "Are you saying Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" :uhyeah:

Movies that haven't been nominated yet are "Hoosiers" and "Raging Bull"