Best sparring gear to get?

BP714

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm most concerned about the instep/shin protector. Currently I have the cloth one that is 4 years old and I want to replace it. How are the foot protectors versus the instep?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Leather Muay Thai style shin / instep get my vote. The dipped foam ones don't hold up well to abuse at all.

Jphtkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The Mooto foot pads are nice. Daedo and some of the others that you have to fit every toe into are a pain in the *** to put on. For shin pads, Daedo, Adidas, or Mooto all make pretty decent equipment. Sang moo sa makes the same quality as well and is quite a bit more inexpensive.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some tournament circuits don't allow leather gear, so check where you are going to compete. I use neoprene shin splint supports and vinyl sparring boots--I like my toes covered.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ask your instructor, and get whatever he tells you to get. Different gear is used for different purposes, is allowed at different tournaments, and is even covered by different insurance carriers. Just follow your instructors advice, and support your school and buy it directly from him (assuming you have that option).

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
if you are competing in TKD, the ones i love and prefer the most are the Tekno Q21 shin and instep. They are seperate, but are the best I have ever had. I have had adidas and many other brand shin and insteps but these are by far the absolute best I have ever had. Nice and solid. Well made. not big and bulky, and accepted by any tkd tournament. You will not be dissapointed. They used to have the best hogu's too, but now they are no good since they switch the hogu design.The Q21 hard was the best.
Any TEKNO reps reading this you need to update your hogu...
Forearm guards are nice but i wear my adidas, because they are soft and comfortable. But u asked about shin so here ya go.....

http://www.usatekno.net/america/ind...&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1
a220e8ee86e1b593b5c943dd0fc8c063.jpg

d802c4ab84c8d5a6d46bc58f2aeb27d3.jpg

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
PS.....
I hate their crappy J3 hogu. stay away from it.

OP
B

BP714

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
thank you!! I will now compare the weights with the other shinguards but those do look pretty good. Maybe its just me but the image of the instep protector doesn't look very appealing to me.

Last edited:

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
if you are competing in TKD, the ones i love and prefer the most are the Tekno Q21 shin and instep. They are seperate, but are the best I have ever had. I have had adidas and many other brand shin and insteps but these are by far the absolute best I have ever had. Nice and solid. Well made. not big and bulky, and accepted by any tkd tournament. You will not be dissapointed. They used to have the best hogu's too, but now they are no good since they switch the hogu design.The Q21 hard was the best.
Any TEKNO reps reading this you need to update your hogu...
Forearm guards are nice but i wear my adidas, because they are soft and comfortable. But u asked about shin so here ya go.....

http://www.usatekno.net/america/ind...&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1
a220e8ee86e1b593b5c943dd0fc8c063.jpg

d802c4ab84c8d5a6d46bc58f2aeb27d3.jpg

Tekno's biggest problem is that they have a lot of trouble delivering their product. Great products, but the company has a great deal of trouble getting products to customers.

OP
B

BP714

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How is the instep? The foot protector from mooto looks better, but I can't really say since I'm basing it off of the picture.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
08-08-2009 04:22 PMBP714Re: Best sparring gear to get?
How is the instep? The foot protector from mooto looks better, but I can't really say since I'm basing it off of the picture.

Its kindof akward at first. Stays on but feels funny after years of having shin and insteps that were connected, be 2 pieces. I must admit, I dont really like the sock style footprotectors. I have never had the Mooto so I cannot fairly compare them. I have grown to like the instep, but the shin was an instant love.

As for thier problems with shipping, I have never myself had one so I can't confirm or deny that. They have been good with me but all i get is the shin/ instep and forearms from them.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Adidas or Mooto. James Kim (Mooto) has really good products. Dae Do is ok but does not last as long

OP
B

BP714

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've decided I want to get the Q21 shin guards, but they are currently sold out and wow its hard to find another site that has it. Would you happen to know where else I can get it? I might as well get forearm guards too any recommendations?

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you called and they said they are sold out, did they give you a date they would have them? They are the company so It sounds like like are thier own worse enemy, no products on shelf means no sale. no sale means no business, no business means close the doors. Its a shame.

I'd say get a expected date from them and make your decision... to wait or find another brand. Its a shame too... they were really nice.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've decided I want to get the Q21 shin guards, but they are currently sold out and wow its hard to find another site that has it. Would you happen to know where else I can get it? I might as well get forearm guards too any recommendations?

That's Tekno for you...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's Tekno for you...

Yeah, that's what I was saying. In a conversation with the owner of Tekno by phone last year, he told me that he couldn't get any of his product to me for months. He basically told me that he didn't have a viable business. It's a great product, but if you can't get it, it's worthless.

I'd look elsewhere.

OP
B

BP714

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I tried calling their 800 number and it was disconnected... I'm wondering if the company tanked. Its a shame because one of my classmates have the shins guards too and they were rock hard. Maybe I'll look around my local martial arts shop and hopefully they'll have it.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
wow... guess they went under. no way to get ahold of them. I have a direct number at home... I'll look into it when i get home. Its a shame, nice gear. Someone else should pick up their line... century or AWMA. It would get more exposure and be a better seller. wow... guess i better take good care of the gear i got... it dont look like i can replace it....

Maybe I can auction it off to the highest bidder on ebay and get 1 million dollars.... :uhyeah:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tekno is still around they are just not able to fill orders, I have been holding for two years for a new J-3 as of today still none. It is a shame because they had great equipment.

Latest Discussions