Best side kick I have seen on Youtube

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
He may know a different art, but yes that is a TKD side kick.
It is not uncommon for masters of a different art to use a TKD kick
That is a Karate Kick. That is the kekomi version of yoko geri.
It is not uncommon for common techniques to have different names in different arts.
It is not uncommon for common techniques to be included in different arts.

If you want to get technical... yoko geri has been a part of the karate curriculum since before TKD was a thing. And TKDs roots go back to Shotokan Karate. Funakoshi was teaching yoko geri long before he ever taught yoko geri to General Choi.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He may know a different art, but yes that is a TKD side kick.
It is not uncommon for masters of a different art to use a TKD kick
Example Bruce Lee used a TKD side kick a lot.
Shotokan kicks are basically the same as (kukkiwon) TKD kicks a lot of the time, from what I can tell.
Edit: Technically reverse the order I guess. TKD kicks are basically the same as shotokan kicks.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shotokan kicks are basically the same as (kukkiwon) TKD kicks a lot of the time, from what I can tell.
Edit: Technically reverse the order I guess. TKD kicks are basically the same as shotokan kicks.

They are not, although you could argue that they are in theory. In other words, if a Karateka spent the same emphasis and study on the mechanics of kicking, they would reach the same end. This would be an example of that.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of arts do side kicks, and at this point they've pretty much all influenced each other enough that you're not going to be able to tell origins.
And no, it's not a 10.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lots of arts do side kicks, and at this point they've pretty much all influenced each other enough that you're not going to be able to tell origins.
And no, it's not a 10.

You can't in this case but in 99% of the time you can.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Conversely, if Taekwondoins spent the same focus on punching, they would punch like Karatekas. And some do, but very few.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Two things.

First, a few have said it's not a 10 or implied it's not great. I'm interested to hear some critique. I mean, for the uneducated person like me, what's wrong with it?

Second, when I saw the title for the thread, I thought first of sidekick in the superhero sense, and thought this would be a video of someone cosplaying Robin or something. :D

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't in this case but in 99% of the time you can.

pyVqRq2.gif

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
First, a few have said it's not a 10 or implied it's not great. I'm interested to hear some critique. I mean, for the uneducated person like me, what's wrong with it?

It's a nice kick, but it's not a 10. Different systems teach variations, but in our system the supporting foot should pivot more. The heel should end pointing at the target.

Second, when I saw the title for the thread, I thought first of sidekick in the superhero sense, and thought this would be a video of someone cosplaying Robin or something. :D

That would have been fun. Here you go.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's a nice kick, but it's not a 10. Different systems teach variations, but in our system the supporting foot should pivot more. The heel should end pointing at the target.

That contradicts your previous post.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

That would nullifiy your claim about system calibrations.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They are not, although you could argue that they are in theory. In other words, if a Karateka spent the same emphasis and study on the mechanics of kicking, they would reach the same end. This would be an example of that.

Conversely, if Taekwondoins spent the same focus on punching, they would punch like Karatekas. And some do, but very few.
So you agree that mechanically they're the same punches and kicks for the most part? Just a difference in what tends to be focused on in shotokan vs. tkd schools?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So you agree that mechanically they're the same punches and kicks for the most part? Just a difference in what tends to be focused on in shotokan vs. tkd schools?

No because the level of instruction and knowledge is worse. If you don't know better, you won't kick better.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No because the level of instruction and knowledge is worse. If you don't know better, you won't kick better.
But the actual mechanics. If you looked in a handbook for each of them, you would see the same kicks, and it just comes down to how well an individual a:is taught it and b: practices.