Best parts of Old School TKD

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I read this thread with interest, having absolutly no clouded views that I fall under the "modern tkd" range. I would like to say though, my club holds true to some old traditions and they are my favourite. Our club is a family, we had people come train with us for a world competition and their comments a few weeks in were they couldn't believe the support we gave to each other, not only on the training level but on a personal level as well. We are expected to show ultimate respect to the instructors and black belts (all who took a min. of 4.5 years to get there). We are not a wtf. style (and headgear is optional after 18..but everyone wears it anyway!) It all sounds like you have had amazing past clubs and I hope you have clubs that continue to foster these important training skills, even if they are "modern" modified.
Aqua

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you dont sweat often and bleed, ache, and cry once in a while you are not enjoying the Martial Arts as I know them!
It is nice to know that some people still train that way. Not many today want or would stand for that training.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
After reading this thread I can only hope I find a place to train with as much integrity and discpline as you all describe. The hard work and support mentioned in this thread are what I would put into my dream school (of any style). I haven't yet been fortunate enough to find this kind of honor in the world, maybe one day that will change.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
"maybe one day that will change".

Sadly, I doubt there will be a change. Most of the old guard either has retired or moved on to the bigger dojang. Those who are showing the way today, are for the most part, looking for the almighty dollar and a quick turn around. In short, they are nothing more than a product of what society wants.

For me, the best part of "Old School" was that it offered real self defense. Joint locks, throws (from both Judo and Hapkido), Sweeps, Takedowns and etc. The sparring was of course non-padded. Anyone wish to really get a taste of what some of the kicks and punches can actually do, even at a controlled delivery, give it a try with someone who has control, not just trying to blast away at a padded target with bad technique.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It sounds like there's more than a few folks here that are still dedicated to "Old School" TKD of things like Courtesy, Integrity,.....Hey, Wait! That sounds vaguely familiar.:)

spud

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I miss getting to training an hour early to get a head start only to find almost everyone else their as well, full contact sparing without ever knowing their was such a thing as padding, taking 15 minutes to walk to training & 45 to limp home, feeling like other students were family, having the guy who would kick the hell out of you or visa versa offer to help you perfect a kick or stretch, wringing out your uniform before you could put it in a plastic bag to take home, knowing what I learn in tonight’s class may very well be of use on the way home & knowing it works from personal painful experience.

People who ONLY cared about improving not being the most well known or richest from selling a mere shadow of the art to anyone who managed to just show up for gradings, a fellow student who would honestly thank you after kicking them for showing them a weakness in their defence & visa versa & people who you had to chase out of a class an hour after it finished because 2 hours of class plus an hour before 5 nights a week was never enough.

Latest Discussions