Best parts of Old School TKD

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For those of you who were involved in Tae Kwon Do in the 80's (or earlier) & remember the days before Olympic-style fighting, what were the best parts? I'm not talking about the difference between ITF & WTF. I'm talking about the great things about TKD when both looked quite similiar.

For me, it was fighting w/out headgear or hogus & having to throw controled techniques because of it. And you didn't have to be the quickest to win.

What are your fave's?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iceman for me it was the comradity we had for each others without the ego's of today youth. I also enjoyed no hogu myself, I hate to wear those things in a tournament. I learned both ITF and Kukkiwon not WTF, I can remember going from tournament to tournaments with thre or four buddys in the car to save gas money and saying, as long as we have each other we will be fine. Those where the days.
Terry

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Iceman for me it was the comradity we had for each others without the ego's of today youth. I also enjoyed no hogu myself, I hate to wear those things in a tournament. I learned both ITF and Kukkiwon not WTF, I can remember going from tournament to tournaments with thre or four buddys in the car to save gas money and saying, as long as we have each other we will be fine. Those where the days.
Terry

That's what I remember, too. I also remember learning how to fall and roll during my first weeks of classes - skills most sports schools rarely cover and certainly not in the first weeks of training. And of course I remember that it was the 60%/40% foot to hands, not the 80%/20% kicks vs. hand techniques that it is today. As a result, we aquired much greater proficiency with our hands than I see today, even in traditional, non-sport dojangs.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I liked the fact that when you threw a punch, it would count as a point. :)

My dojang had a sign in the front by the flags that read, "House of Discipline". It was taken seriously, too. I haven't seen one in a dojang in years.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No padded gear to train or compet with is at the top of my list.
You learned good technique and where expected to show it.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I too miss the comaraderie, which, though it is still present in many schools, seems to be less pervasive. As instructors, it is our job to introduce (or reintroduce) the comaraderie and the notion of family.

Miles

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Miles said:
I too miss the comaraderie, which, though it is still present in many schools, seems to be less pervasive. As instructors, it is our job to introduce (or reintroduce) the comaraderie and the notion of family.

Miles

I didn't realize how much I missed the sense of family until I started training with an Okinwan stylist a few months ago. He's been training & teaching for 40+ years & welcomed me into the "family" of his class because of my TKD rank. Even tho he didn't know me well, he called me "Brother" because he knows I've been around the block, in the MA world a little bit. He's even encouraged & helped me a great deal to start my own TKD school in the same community center where he teaches Karate.

Why do y'all think the comaraderie is lacking today?

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score

One simple answer EGO'S, In today money hungry, egotisticle, non educated 12-18 mths BB, the humility and respect was left out.

My humble opinion.
Terry

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:

One simple answer EGO'S, In today money hungry, egotisticle, non educated 12-18 mths BB, the humility and respect was left out.

My humble opinion.
Terry

That's it. Also, the intervening generation of TKD stylists have not, for the most part, had to use their training in the way that our generation of teachers did. My first TKD instructor was a Korean born veteran of the Korean war. My second instructor was a Vietnam combat veteran. Both were more than twice my age, whereas now the "head instructors" are about 23 years old - not 43 or even 33.

Also, the original dans in TKD had to write thesis for each promotion. Most current TKD stylists wouldn't even know what your talking about if you mention a black belt "thesis" as a promotion requirement.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
That's it. Also, the intervening generation of TKD stylists have not, for the most part, had to use their training in the way that our generation of teachers did. My first TKD instructor was a Korean veteran of the Korean war. My second instructor was a Vietnam combat veteran. Both were more than twice my age, whereas now the "head instructors" are about 23 years old - not 43 or even 33.

You know Johnathon I'm 45 and feel old when we go do tournaments most of the Instructors are 18-28 and have no ideal about the respect they should give to us old timers. western culture has not done TKD any respect with all these 18-22 yr old head school instructors with very little business or common sense about them.

Terry

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
You know Johnathon I'm 45 and feel old when we go do tournaments most of the Instructors are 18-28 and have no ideal about the respect they should give to us old timers. western culture has not done TKD any respect with all these 18-22 yr old head school instructors with very little business or common sense about them.

Terry

Terry, I think you're right about respect of some of the younger folks. This guy (7th Dan in Karate) who's helping me, teaches a free class to low income kids twice a week! He has a full time job & does it just to "give back." The TKD folks in my area charge anywhere from $100-$150 a month!

I'm learning just to be a good instructor & just wanna make a few bucks teaching the art I love. The other day, I was asked by a 9th Dan what my goals for my school were. I said, "I don't really care if I produce Olympic champions. I'd rather my students see themselves as worthwhile people. If they became solid citzens, I'd be successful." He thought that was a refreshing answer to a question he asks often.

I think that was the original intent behind the discipline we were taught back in the day. Maybe we can bring it back.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
I think that was the original intent behind the discipline we were taught back in the day. Maybe we can bring it back.

I hope so...

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bobster_ice said:
Oh yeah, it is way better than modern TKD too.

Discipline wise.
Bobster ne offense here but do you even know anything about old school since you are so young. What do you consided modern TKD?
Thanks
terry

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Speaking of history, the history of TKD was vague in my early training. My 1st instructor, a Korean who was born shortly after the war, grew up in Osan. I'm sure he saw the confusing mess of the Kwans struggling to come up w/ the name Tae Kwon Do. So, when it came to its history, he opted for the "TKD is 2000 years old," story.

Now that I'm in my 30's & can live w/ ambiguity, I think the stories of the Kwans are interesting.

W/ Master Kim there was a lot of respect...and it went both ways. I've met more than my share of instructors who only saw $$$ when they looked at me.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I conducted a make-up test this afternoon and at the end of the test, I always quiz the examinees about their training.

Typically I ask 3 questions: what do you like least (never say "hate") about training, why do you want to advance in rank, and what do you enjoy most about training?

Usually for the kids, they answer the questions: pushups, to be closer to black belt, and sparring, in that order. Today, my 45yr old green belt answered the last question, "the comraderie." She made me think of this thread!

Miles

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Miles said:
I conducted a make-up test this afternoon and at the end of the test, I always quiz the examinees about their training.

Typically I ask 3 questions: what do you like least (never say "hate") about training, why do you want to advance in rank, and what do you enjoy most about training?

Usually for the kids, they answer the questions: pushups, to be closer to black belt, and sparring, in that order. Today, my 45yr old green belt answered the last question, "the comraderie." She made me think of this thread!

Miles

Sounds like you're doin' something right, Miles.:asian:

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear All,

I am a merely 26 years old and would definitley be viewed as a "youngster" in regards to this topic. So, allow me to explain my position as I begin.
My Father was an Oh Do Kwan instrutor during the Vietnam era. He was true "Old School".
He conducts his classes to this day along the lines that you all speak of as "old school". There is no talking and playing in his class, there is no sport training, there is an expressed reason why every movement is done the way it is, etc. We walk into class happy to be there and crawl out ready to return.
Recently I have been sent to train under another instructor and he also is a former combat soldier and a Chung Do Kwan 9th Dan. The same type of training takes place in his dojang as in the dojang previously run by my father.
When I walk into many other schools I see and hear the students complaining, talking, playing, cursing...many things that would not be tolerated in the dojangs where I train. We would never come to class dirty and wrinkled, complain about the temperature etc. Likewise I would never dream of leaving clean and dry. I was taught that sweat and tired, aching muscles meant you were doing something right!
If you dont sweat often and bleed, ache, and cry once in a while you are not enjoying the Martial Arts as I know them!

TAEKWON!
SpooKey

Latest Discussions