best lethal grip breaks

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It definitely doesn't make a difference for most Submissions/finishers. But when it comes to positional availability, I struggle against people with less BJJ experience than I. It's a lot tougher for me to hold mount or side control, and I've learned to try to get things from guard and/or while they transition between situations, as I have a much tougher time holding positions than those larger/stronger than me.

Admittedly, I'm also much less experienced so that might be part of it, but given it'll take a year or two of dedicated jujitsu training to pass my experience (I've been doing it on/off with limited dedication for a few years), it's something to keep in mind when discussing with people that are smaller than average.

Someone I train with learned to focus on leg locks. It turns out most people don't focus on them, so she's able to get leg locks regardless of her opponent's height/weight (at least up to a certain experience level).

You don't hold people down. You move so that you are always on top of them.

And for mount. Just starfish.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't hold people down. You move so that you are always on top of them.

And for mount. Just starfish.
Being on top of people at least 100 pounds heavier than me doesn't seem useful. Even if I starfish, they eventually get out. I've gotten recent at starfishing-->holding high mount-->starfishing, which keeps them from escaping mount, but doesn't really give me all that many opportunities.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Being on top of people at least 100 pounds heavier than me doesn't seem useful. Even if I starfish, they eventually get out. I've gotten recent at starfishing-->holding high mount-->starfishing, which keeps them from escaping mount, but doesn't really give me all that many opportunities.

Just long enough to hold their thrash. Then pop up and attack. Then starfish again when they thrash again.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
*I've gotten good recently. Not sure what happened there

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you can get high mount then with your feet gripping his hips then it doesn't take much to stop them flaring their elbows (which is what they need to move up and re-establish their elbow guard)
Then lean back a little to apply pressure - think of a rodeo rider as they bridge etc
I think a lot of people don't use their feet to attach to their opponent in mount which makes them quite unstable

Getting to high mount with elbow control whilst he's bridging, tucking his elbows etc - that's a different fight

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you can get high mount then with your feet gripping his hips then it doesn't take much to stop them flaring their elbows (which is what they need to move up and re-establish their elbow guard)
Then lean back a little to apply pressure - think of a rodeo rider as they bridge etc
I think a lot of people don't use their feet to attach to their opponent in mount which makes them quite unstable

Getting to high mount with elbow control whilst he's bridging, tucking his elbows etc - that's a different fight
Regarding the feet: I don't think I tend to do that-I was probably taught to at some point but forgot. I do try to lean back, but that only helps so much.

When you say feet gripping the hips, do you mean that I dig my heels into the hips from the top, or dig the top of my feet underneath them and my heels on the side of their hips, or keep my toes pointed towards their legs and straddle that way? The third is what I think I naturally do (could be wrong on that).

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
Regarding the feet: I don't think I tend to do that-I was probably taught to at some point but forgot. I do try to lean back, but that only helps so much.

When you say feet gripping the hips, do you mean that I dig my heels into the hips from the top, or dig the top of my feet underneath them and my heels on the side of their hips, or keep my toes pointed towards their legs and straddle that way? The third is what I think I naturally do (could be wrong on that).
Hi
I hold the top of the hip bone with the soles of my feet
So it attaches you to them and gives purchase to keep the forwards pressure with your knees
Hope that makes sense
D

Latest Discussions