Best freestanding bag?

PhilE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So I'm looking to invest in a good quality freestanding bag for use in my front room and/or garage. I'd use it 5 days per week, one hour sessions. I'm fairly energetic, so I need something that will last.

It seems that the Century Wavemaster XXL or 2XL may be the way to go. Expensive though.

If anyone has some suggestions, that would be much appreciated.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use the golds gym one. It works fine had it a few years don’t use it all the time but during lockdown I used it daily (not as much now as gym is back open) and it holds up fine enough. It’s hard to do front kicks off it but roundhouses and all types of punches are fine

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I'm looking to invest in a good quality freestanding bag for use in my front room and/or garage. I'd use it 5 days per week, one hour sessions. I'm fairly energetic, so I need something that will last.

It seems that the Century Wavemaster XXL or 2XL may be the way to go. Expensive though.

At my school we have 3 Century Wavemaster, 2 Wavemaster XL (I think equivalent to their PowerLine), and 5 BOB XLs. All of these work great. The Wavemasters are about half the price of the XXL. We've had the Wavemasters at my school longer than I've been there (at least 7 years), and the BOBs for around 4-5 years. All are still going strong.

One of the Wavemasters cracked a long time ago, if it tips over it leaks. But it still works really well.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

Depends on how much power you will be using on it. If you are going to be doing power striking they will not last. Working fundamentals with light to moderate striking you will be fine. They simply do not hold up to the rigors of power striking.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wavemaster goes on sale fairly often. The last one I bought was like $80. I use a BOB at home.

OP
P

PhilE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I'll be doing power strikes, so maybe the smaller bags would be too light for my purposes. BOB is a little out of my budget, and I need low kicks. Seems like the Wavemaster XXL may be the one, bit expensive but if it does take punishment it could be the one.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I'll be doing power strikes, so maybe the smaller bags would be too light for my purposes. BOB is a little out of my budget, and I need low kicks. Seems like the Wavemaster XXL may be the one, bit expensive but if it does take punishment it could be the one.
I had 6 XXLs. Broke them all. I now have only 1 and is use for kids and beginner adults who can't punch or kick with power just yet. If you are doing power punching and kicking as in boxing or muay thai I don't believe they will last.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had 6 XXLs. Broke them all. I now have only 1 and is use for kids and beginner adults who can't punch or kick with power just yet. If you are doing power punching and kicking as in boxing or muay thai I don't believe they will last.
My golds gym one has lasted 4 years so far and I’m 6’3 190 pounds and it’s still in great shape. A little softer than originally so you feel it on your knuckles when you go gloveless but all in all still good

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You say you have a garage, is it not possible to mount a hanging bag there? If space is an issue then mount it with hooks so you can take it down when not using it. I’ll be honest, I’ve never found a free-standing bag that I liked. They seem like an actual waste of money to me, you just cannot unload on them like you can with a hanging bag.

D

Deleted member 39746

I was eyeballing a gallant, no idea how it compares but if the centuary bags are £2-400 then £120 or so is pretty cheap. If its going to get torn up might as well get a cheap one that will last a couple of years so its not that much spent each time.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was eyeballing a gallant, no idea how it compares but if the centuary bags are £2-400 then £120 or so is pretty cheap. If its going to get torn up might as well get a cheap one that will last a couple of years so its not that much spent each time.
i suspect it may last you decades

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

I use Torso BOB, its a freestanding dummy shaped like a human torso that is made for striking. As a matter of fact I've gone through a bunch of Torso BOBs. Its a good piece of training equipment that I would recommend.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’ve got a BOB XL. I beat the hell out of that thing and it’s still holding up very well.

People complain about freestanding bags sliding around, tipping over easily, etc. They’re usually pushing the bag instead of actually striking it, and they’ve got it filled with the wrong stuff and/or on the wrong surface. I filled mine with pea gravel (about 300 lbs) and put it on a rubber mat like you see in restaurant kitchens. It moves a little bit, but easily brought back in between rounds.

If you do a flying side-kick, then yeah it’ll topple over. No different than a hanging heavy bag will fly around when hit the same way. Same for pushing punches.

I’d take a 6ft Outslayer Muay Thai bag over it if I could hang one. But I can’t. Better yet, I’d have both.

Latest Discussions