Best and Worst Superhero Movies

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What do you think? Here are mine, off the top of my head, so I'm sure I've forgotten many:

Best:

1: The Dark Knight
2: Iron Man
3: Batman Begins
4: Superman (Christopher Reeves)
5: Green Lantern

Honorable Mention: Batman (1989), Kick-***, Xmen First Class, Spider Man 2

Worst:

1: Hulk (Ang Lee)
2: Jonah Hex
3: Ghost Rider
4: Elektra
5: Catwoman

Honorable Mention: Blade Trinity, Spider Man 3, Any of the Batman Movies between 1989 and 2005.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why the fondness for the Christopher Reeve Superman movie? I thought it was kinda ho-hum myself. I did like Superman II.

I also liked all the Toby Maguire Spiderman movies and <gasp> Daredevil.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Why the fondness for the Christopher Reeve Superman movie? I thought it was kinda ho-hum myself. I did like Superman II.

Maybe it was my age, but I've always liked it and still watch it from time to time.

I also liked Daredevil. It's a flawed movie, but there were parts that really worked. I wouldn't put it in the top 10 superhero movies of all time, but it's above Spiderman 1 and 3, IMO.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I think it was the first major superhero feature? with decent FX? (that surprisingly still kinda look good?) You just never quiet get over your first love. ^_^

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Best:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Spiderman 2
3. Thor
4. Iron Man
5. Kick ***

Haven't yet seen Xmen First Class but it's on my summer movie list

Worst: I pretty much agree with your worst list except that Daredevil would be in there somewhere.

I always thought the Superman movies were passable but really more like prototypes for the better-written superhero flicks of the Aughts. A lot of people in gen X appear to have granted Superman 1 and 2 the status of sacred cows--I will ascribe it to nostalgia.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far, pending this summer...

1) The Dark Knight
2) Batman begins
3) Superman (Christopher Reeves) (I was a kid when I saw this so my perspective is different.)
4) Kick ***
5) spider man

Worst:

1) Darkman ( I know...)
2) The Hulk (The Eric Bana hulk)
3) spider man 3

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just remembered the Spirit. Terrible movie. Didn't even finish watching it.

Also among the worst: Son of the Mask.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Best:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Spiderman 2
3. Thor
4. Iron Man
5. Kick ***

Haven't yet seen Xmen First Class but it's on my summer movie list

Worst: I pretty much agree with your worst list except that Daredevil would be in there somewhere.

I always thought the Superman movies were passable but really more like prototypes for the better-written superhero flicks of the Aughts. A lot of people in gen X appear to have granted Superman 1 and 2 the status of sacred cows--I will ascribe it to nostalgia.
What did you like about Thor?

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
[Puts on her PBS turtleneck]: Honestly Steve I thought Thor was a great example of space-operatic mythology. Repackaged for modern eyes and ears, but kept the essence of the story intact and provided classic father/son conflict and brothers conflict drama, a la Joseph Campbell.

Well that and..I have to admit a lot of it had to do with the excellent and complex character of Loki. Tom Hiddleston knocked that one out of the ballpark. (And from a female POV, he is sexy as hell. :D)

Thor himself was almost a parody, but there was a nice subversion of the "boastful warrior" archetype in Chris Hemsworth's version of Thor that made him likeable.

Nice cinematography and well-choreographed action scenes. Loved the look of Valhalla.

I think this film will prove a good setup for latter Avenger films. Much to look forward to in this franchise.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was wondering how they were going to explain Thor being an Asgardian god to the average movie goer. Recasting them as advanced technological beings instead seemed OK to me, even if it is very much not what the comics say.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
[Puts on her PBS turtleneck]: Honestly Steve I thought Thor was a great example of space-operatic mythology. Repackaged for modern eyes and ears, but kept the essence of the story intact and provided classic father/son conflict and brothers conflict drama, a la Joseph Campbell.

Well that and..I have to admit a lot of it had to do with the excellent and complex character of Loki. Tom Hiddleston knocked that one out of the ballpark. (And from a female POV, he is sexy as hell. :D)

Thor himself was almost a parody, but there was a nice subversion of the "boastful warrior" archetype in Chris Hemsworth's version of Thor that made him likeable.

Nice cinematography and well-choreographed action scenes. Loved the look of Valhalla.

I think this film will prove a good setup for latter Avenger films. Much to look forward to in this franchise.
Huh. I thought the father/son conflict was ham-handed. Loki was well played, by far the best of the bunch, but even that was over-acted most of the way through.

Regarding cinematography and action scenes... wow... I guess we just have to disagree. The sets looked cheap to me. The action on Earth literally looked to me like it was filmed in a town facade set built on the cheap. And the Asgard sets looked like live action, Saturday Morning fare from the 90's, a la Power Rangers.

I'll chalk it up as different taste, but dang... we definitely saw two different films on that one. :D

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe it was my age, but I've always liked it and still watch it from time to time.

Maybe the reason why neither it nor the recent Superman Returns movie worked for me is because I hate the campy version of Lex Luthor who is surrounded by incompetent henchmen. I know this was how comics were written at one time, but I can't stand that stuff. I can't imagine Luthor, one of the greatest malevolent minds on Earth, putting up with the grief that Ned Betty's character deals out regularly.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hides in shame because I loved Daredevil and Elektra ...

... Jennifer Garner, guys, for crying out loud! What more do you want?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hides in shame because I loved Daredevil and Elektra ...

... Jennifer Garner, guys, for crying out loud! What more do you want?

Well....some movies you just don't watch for the story line.... :angel:

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Some of my favorites...

XMen
Xmen United
Iron Man
The Dark Knight
Batman Begins

I kind of liked the Watchmen but expected more.

Worst movies...
The new Hulk movies,
Elektra
Spiderman 3 (although it had some great parts) had too much crap involved. (What was with that bar scene???)

Latest Discussions