I disavow all other star wars movies

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sitting at home channel surfing I came across my favorite childhood film "Star Wars." Having watched part of it again, I hereby disavow any and all subsequent star wars movies, including "Empire Strikes Back." Watching Star Wars just highlights the damage that Lucas did to his greatest movie when he decided to make more of them. It would be okay to make bad sequels, but the sequels reach into the original movie and do their best to wreck it. He also tarts it up with all the extra little bits that he put into the scenes, the little alien creatures, the big alien creatures, the alien creatures used for comic relief (why spend all that money to add comic relief to a near perfect movie).

The tale that Luke and leia are brother and sister and that Darth Vader is Luke and Leia's dad is just really silly. It detracts from so much of the original that it makes it almost impossible to watch. I mean, Luke had romantic feelings toward Leia, his sister. See what I mean. And the story that Obi wan told about Lukes dad being betrayed by a Jedi named Vader was much more powerful, in that less than a minute clip than the entire movie series about the fall and redemption of vader.

I have to say that the destruction of the Han Solo character's signature scene in the cantina only irritates more and more as time goes by.

So, I disavow any and all knowledge of any movies other than the original Star Wars, the original, not the directors cut.
Thank you, and good day.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Han shot first.

Hell, I would've too, when you're a smuggler... there's no such thing as being noble.

Yes, I've a DVD set of episodes IV-VI and plan to own no other. The set includes the original theatrical version(s) and the enhanced version(s) of each film.
I've (re)watched both (over a period of time ... not all at once :rolleyes:) and yes, agree that the original(s) that came out, the ones I saw a long time ago in a theater far far away are indeed the best versions.
That Lucas claims full credit for the idea, concept and story is bunk. He may have run on with ESB and ROTJ but ANH was definitely not his idea. I saw earmarks of another author when I read the novelization (which bears Lucas' name-- funny how he never wrote another book) of one of my all time favorite authors. Signature pacing and story set up and details that are the author's own, Alan Dean Foster, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Dean_Foster#Star_Wars_stories http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_From_the_Adventures_of_Luke_Skywalker. He even admitted that he did write the story and sold it to Lucas who of course, ran with it and made a fortune.
Foster wrote two more Star Wars novels after the success, (probably to compensate for his loss) Splinter Of The Mind's Eye and The Approaching Storm.

Either way what is done is done what is past is past. The enhanced versions were o..k... though I also feel that some things could've been left out altogether.

Thankfully I have the originals on DVD and watch them dutifully whenever the mood strikes me.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I read Splinters many many moons ago - I was still a teenager I think :faints:. Enjoyed it greatly so I am bemused as to why I never bought it. Something to rectify perhaps.

For me, my favourite Star Wars movie is Return of the Jedi. That speaks to me on a very emotional level (even the Ewok's :D) whilst A New Hope is more of a sci-fi action movie with some gravitas provided by Sir Alec.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which originals? There were dialog changes between the original theatrical run, and -each- following run and release.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill, you are a Blasphemer. I hearby sentence you to watch the Star Wars Holiday Special, and BOTH Ewok Movies.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sitting at home channel surfing I came across my favorite childhood film "Star Wars." Having watched part of it again, I hereby disavow any and all subsequent star wars movies, including "Empire Strikes Back." Watching Star Wars just highlights the damage that Lucas did to his greatest movie when he decided to make more of them. It would be okay to make bad sequels, but the sequels reach into the original movie and do their best to wreck it. He also tarts it up with all the extra little bits that he put into the scenes, the little alien creatures, the big alien creatures, the alien creatures used for comic relief (why spend all that money to add comic relief to a near perfect movie).

The tale that Luke and leia are brother and sister and that Darth Vader is Luke and Leia's dad is just really silly. It detracts from so much of the original that it makes it almost impossible to watch. I mean, Luke had romantic feelings toward Leia, his sister. See what I mean. And the story that Obi wan told about Lukes dad being betrayed by a Jedi named Vader was much more powerful, in that less than a minute clip than the entire movie series about the fall and redemption of vader.

I have to say that the destruction of the Han Solo character's signature scene in the cantina only irritates more and more as time goes by.

So, I disavow any and all knowledge of any movies other than the original Star Wars, the original, not the directors cut.
Thank you, and good day.
I on the other hand was never really into Star Wars, but intend to re-watch them, now, and catch any I have missed. Maybe there is something to these movies after all.:)
Sean

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bill, you are a Blasphemer. I hearby sentence you to watch the Star Wars Holiday Special, and BOTH Ewok Movies.
You should be banned for even suggesting, hell, even THINKING of utilizing that form of torture.

Mebbe you can get a job at Guantanamo ?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You should be banned for even suggesting, hell, even THINKING of utilizing that form of torture.

Mebbe you can get a job at Guantanamo ?

Come on, it's just enhanced, can't be all that bad!
(wasn't the Ewok movie something like the Gummie Bears from Disney?)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Which originals? There were dialog changes between the original theatrical run, and -each- following run and release.
Far as I know the actual original movie when it first came out.
To be honest I didn't notice any changes in dialogue... can you clarify which scenes for example (not all of them of course but glaring examples).

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have always thought, with an entire galaxy full of living creatures, father/daughter/brother/sister/former teacher/former student ALL just happen to bump into each other over and over again....

right....

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Far as I know the actual original movie when it first came out.
To be honest I didn't notice any changes in dialogue... can you clarify which scenes for example (not all of them of course but glaring examples).
The most notable one is early in the film. When the Star Destroyer captures the Blockade Runner, 3P0 says "There'll be no escape for the Princess this time".

I remember him initially saying Captain instead of Princess when I first saw it.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm ... I first saw this in {mumble mumble} when it was released in the UK. I don't recall that dialogue difference.

Then again, it took me ages of watching and rewatching the clip of the Stormtrooper hitting his head on the door before I finally saw it :lol:.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A scout of the wonderful resource which is the Net implies that the line Bob refers to was in an early script but never made it onto celluloid.

Quote from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076759/trivia:

In earlier versions of the script, the line "There will be no escape for the Princess this time" was "There will be no escape for the Captain this time." (A reference to Captain Antilles, who Vader later strangles to death.)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I honestly remember hearing it. Then again, I also honestly remember having hair too. :D

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:chuckles: I'm with you on that one good sir - that involuntary tonsure I have is most annoying :eek:. I'm okay as long as I'm not around anyone taller than me (assuming I'm not sitting down of course) :lol:.

Latest Discussions