Bennefits of studying Judo?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Besides the issue of dealing with punch/kick, Judo jacket throw depends on:

1. sleeve hold - can be replaced by arm wrap.
2. front lapel hold - has no replacement.
3. upper collar hold - can be replaced by single neck tie, but has less pulling ability.
4. back belt hold - can be replaced by waist surround, but not effective when your opponent has fat waist line.
I'm sorry friend but your understanding of Judo throws is superficial. Yes, they are "traditionally" taught as jacket grips but that certainly doesn't require those grips most of the time. As an example, Koshi Guruma is "traditionally" taught with a sleeve pull. But it is child's play to switch from a sleeve grip to a wrist or elbow grip for no-jacket throwing. In fact, this is the way that old school pugilistic throws analogous to Koshi Guruma, a sub-set of the Cross-Buttock, were performed.

by lklawson on MartialTalk.Com - Friendly Martial Arts Forum Community

To claim that Judo depends upon or even requires the jacket grips is simply a misunderstanding.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you look at this Judo throw, You will find out that the technique starts from both your hands have the correct grips on your opponent's Judo jacket. How to get your grips in a

1. jacket wrestling environment,
2. no-jacket wrestling environment,
3. kick/punch environment,

are not explained.

Judo_throw_1.jpg

IMO, a detail Judo throw should start from outside of the kicking range. What will happen when you try to get your grips, your opponent tries to punch/kick you?

In other words, you will need "entering strategy - how to move in and obtain your contact points" before you can apply "finishing strategy - throw your opponent".

boxing_stance_2.jpg
O Soto Gari? Seriously? I teach O Soto "no gi" all the time. The pugilism version is called Back-Heel.

Allanson-Winn_Back-Heel.jpg

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
O Soto Gari? Seriously? I teach O Soto "no gi" all the time. The pugilism version is called Back-Heel.

View attachment 21192

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The version I teach looks similar to that, just move the hand grips. His right hand would ideally be in almost an overhook position, pulling toward his hip. His left hand would ideally be above the opposite elbow and underneath the arm (does that make sense?), pushing toward his opponent's ear. That puts the opponent in basically the same position. In fact, now I want to play a bit with the position in that picture to see what feels different. It's a versatile technique (especially as broadly as we view it as our "Leg Sweep"), and one I resort to rather readily.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The version I teach looks similar to that, just move the hand grips. His right hand would ideally be in almost an overhook position, pulling toward his hip. His left hand would ideally be above the opposite elbow and underneath the arm (does that make sense?), pushing toward his opponent's ear. That puts the opponent in basically the same position. In fact, now I want to play a bit with the position in that picture to see what feels different. It's a versatile technique (especially as broadly as we view it as our "Leg Sweep"), and one I resort to rather readily.
Quite a bit of variation in "no gi" options. Here are two from Edwards and one from "Gunner" Moir.
Edwards-Back-Heel-1.jpg
Edwards-Back-Heel-2.jpg
Gunner_Moir-Backheel.jpg

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite a bit of variation in "no gi" options. Here are two from Edwards and one from "Gunner" Moir.View attachment 21196 View attachment 21197 View attachment 21198

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The first two are quite similar to variations I've taught and used (used the first one - the double-leg variation) to shut down a BB who was being too rough with yellow belt students. The more I think about it, the more I think this might be my favorite technique, though not necessarily the one I use the most.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You watch a couple White Belt / Yellow Belt level Judo tournaments.... and you see a ton of mediocre Osoto Gari attempts. Its pretty instinctive to sweep / trip / throw someone by attacking the back of their supporting leg, which is why some variation of it seems to be in nearly every fighting system and people also take to it quickly as a "go to" technique. There is a lot of nuance there though.
In Judo, the sleeve grip on the elbow of the gi really helps unbalance the opponent and 'load' their weight onto the leg you are attacking, but the throw is still there without it. The mid / high lapel grip really helps drive the opponent back and makes for a more explosive throw, but hooking on the back of their neck and bracing your forearm / elbow into their chest if there is no gi works too. Even in the gi, I remember our Judo club working a variant that looked a bit like a clothesline - no grips, just our normal lapel gripping hand coming across the body and driving the opponent backward as we stepped thru and attacked the leg. There are so many ways to make a throw like that work, some better, some more crude, but because the basic mechanics exist in all of them.

kravmaga1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Benefits of learning Judo are:
  • Developing physical fitness.
  • Growth in strength and flexibility.
  • Increased speed and agility.
  • Greater endurance.
  • Good static and dynamic balance.
  • Improved reaction time.
  • Excellent coordination.
  • Increased self-confidence.