CHILDREN and Judo

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting my son (8 yrs old) and daughter (6 yrs old) into the local rec-commisions Judo classes. They list in their catalog that they begin at 4 years of age.

I'd like to know from the knowledgeable judoka here their thoughts on:
* Teaching YOUNG children judo
* Children in Judo competition
* Helping a child (Through Judo classes) who's not physically confident and doesn't like "Competition".
* does/can Judo training help a young person become more assertive w/out becoming violent. (I realize that the greatest determinant on these things is wrapped up in who the instructor is and their own approach, but I'd like to get YOUR take on things)

I teach/study/train in American Kenpo Karate and both of my kids express that they'd like to study under me sometime in the future, and I'd LOVE that, but I feel that I'd like to get their martial arts experience kicked off in something else, as well as something that doesn't focus as much on brute force applied to soft tissues (as Kenpo does). ((PLEASE NOTE: I'm not saying that Judo can't be devastating when a Judoka needs it to be, but that in being "the gentle way" I'm hoping to gain a good and safe experience for the kids....one they can build on))
Besides, I think it's difficult and problematic to have your first instructor to be "Sensei Daddy"....I'd rather give that honor to some other worthy instructor.

Thank you for any and all input and opinions!

Your Brother
John
PS: DO you know of any internet resources to look into for Judo and children?
Links??

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
http://judoforum.com/index.php?act=idx

Great Judo sight and lot's of knowledgeable folks there.

I have 2 boy's and I am going to put the eldist in Judo next year, as I feel it's the best overall art to start a kid in.
Lot's of rules to keep it safe, but lot's of contact, working with a live partner, learning dynamic balance and body awarness, developing a willingness to get close and take an advisary down.

If he likes it (and MA in general) I plan on having him do Judo 1/3rd of the year, BJJ 1/3 rd of the year, and let him do a regular sport ( Soccer I hope) 1/3rd of the year. This would give him many of the attributes for Combat/Aiki-Jujutsu in his late teens.

Like you, I'd rather have my training partner be his Sempai and Sensei instead of my self. Not that I wont show him things or train with him, but untill he is a Man. I think there is something to having a young "Squire" train under a Knight, so to speak, it's free of the baggage a Father/Son relationship can have.

I wont push them to be martial artist, but there is a certian degree of martial training they will be manditory.
If they like the arts, I will offer them the oppertunities to a good martial education, Judo, BJJ, Wrestling, Boxing,Jujutsu, contact sports and physical training till they are 18, and the oppertunity for Pekiti Tarsia/IMA training after college.

Another nice thing to think about as Fathers, Judo is an Olympic sport and internationally available. Where ever they go, it's available.

OP
Brother John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd rather have my training partner be his Sempai and Sensei instead of my self. Not that I wont show him things or train with him, but untill he is a Man.

Thank you.

I couldn't agree with you more!
I look forward to teaching him later, but once he's an accomplished martial artist on his own, w/out me. (or at least, with out ME as THE "Sensei")

Your Brother
John

brianhunter

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
John,

Aspen and I actually went and checked out the Judo classes a couple of years back and it looked like the kids had a blast!

Let me know how it goes!

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The great thing about judo and kids is it really seems to be able to hold their attention. Striking arts make it hard to focus because often time you are working with no one. Doing forms, striking/kicking the air, etc.

With judo, the kids have something to literally grab on to. There is somebody actually there and that seems to make a big difference.

OP
Brother John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
The great thing about judo and kids is it really seems to be able to hold their attention. Striking arts make it hard to focus because often time you are working with no one. Doing forms, striking/kicking the air, etc.

With judo, the kids have something to literally grab on to. There is somebody actually there and that seems to make a big difference.
THAT is an incredible (!!!!) insight! I'd have never thought of that. Seriously.
Thanks

Your Brother
John

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
My son is still working on crawling, so I'm a ways off from introducing him to martial arts, but I've thought for several years that judo would make a wonderful introductory art.

Its fitness value is high, it teaches great kinesthetic awareness with all the rolling and falling, and it looks better to the school if the kids get into a fight and the kids wrestle and one kids pins the other, bit easier to justify than showing a 5 year old how to do a kenpo eye gouge on day one. :D Wrestling and BJJ would be great as well, but I like the emphasis on rolls/falls in Judo.

Lamont

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In a book by Gaku Homa (Aikido instructor), he discusses the virtues of teaching a child an art like Judo or Aikido first. He espouses the idea that humans aren't strikers by nature...just look at kids playing in the yard - they naturally want to roll around and grapple, not punch each other in the solar plexus.

I have noticed this myself and find that even in tkd classes, the younger kids tend to roll around on the floor when they are playing instead of kicking eachother in the head.

Personally, I think judo would be an excellent start for new martial artists of any age group as well as an indespensible skill set for more experienced artists as well.

Abbax8

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm a judo student and instructor, have been in judo 40 years and have my sons in judo class.

First, like every activity under the sun, judo is not for everyone. I have 8 kids, a daughter and 7 sons. Only 4 sons currently still take judo. The youngest is 9 and the oldest is 16. They love it. The others have all tried it and quit, although I am hopeful tehy may return some day.

Second, I have taught 5 year olds who were great at judo and derived a lot of benefit from it. I have had 12 year olds who were a disaster in class. What chases most kids away is what draws the rest of them in. The falls, the close contact, the rolling and live nature of judo. Some kids panic when they are on the bottom in groundwork. This is normal and most learn to deal with it. But for some, the feeling is to much.

Third. competition. I must confess I don't like the current state of tournament judo, the rule set. Even more, I have been put off by some hyper competitive parents. Tournaments are a good test of skill against unfamiliar opponents and kids can learn to deal with pressure, it's scary to face an unknown opponent. So it has its good points and not so good points.

Fourth, as you stated it really depends on the instructor and the tenor they set for the class. Go and watch the class with your kids. Ask there feelings about what they observed. Then go from there.

Peace

Dennis

OP
Brother John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
well....last night was the first night for both of my children at Judo.
My wife and I were very pleased with the class. The instructor is a very soft-spoken guy who's very nice, yet kept discipline well. He had 6 new kids, including my two, who started in the "new session" last night. Two of them were very young and weren't staying on task at all, but he was able to reign them in pretty well. I was impressed. Got the falling/rolling (Ukemi) down and had my kids thrown over his leg several times onto the mat to get them used to the feeling. After class I introduced myself to him and talked to him a bit. He said he could tell that my two children were "The son and daughter of a martial artist" as they knew how to act, bow onto the mat, bow off of the mat and to keep their attention on him. He said he'd been a black belt for 24 years and has taught at a boxing gym and the rec center for most of those years. I was pleased. I also appreciated the level of involvement that the older higher ranking students had in managing the kids and helping the instructor impart the lessons.

SO far, so good!!

I'll keep you all up on how it goes.
Your Brother
John

OP
Brother John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
My two kids are both having a BLAST doing Judo!!!

The other night they worked "O-soto gari" like it was going out of style!! Their Sensei told me that he's very pleased with their progress and that it shows that they're going over their material at home.

The other night during randori my little girl held an astonighsed older, higher ranking boy down....
he underestimated her....and I LOVE IT.

;)

Your Brother
John

Abbax8

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like it's time for you to join them.

Peace

Dennis

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that your children are enjoying the Judo classes!

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
GM Lee H. Park always said the BEST martial art for children to train in is judo.

OP
Brother John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
UPDATE

My kids are LOVING Judo! I taught my daughter how to say "I'm a Judoka" and it really befuddles her grandmother! ;) My son has collected clips from the internet of people doing moves, but he promised me that he'll NOT try anything that he's not learned in class. But he does love watching Olympic Judo!!

Last Monday night Sensei had them end the class with a good long session of "King of the Hill" Randori, in which they line up in a random order, shuffles them up good, and then they go down the line, beginning with the first two. If you win, you stay up and the next person comes out. My daughter went through FIVE opponents, with the sixth being a draw....and two of those six (including the sixth) were higher ranking and all but one of them bigger!

My son did well, he beat his first oppent pretty well, but it was a kid who obviously needs to become just a touch more aggressive/assertive. Then his next opponent, by the luck of the draw, was bigger and a Green belt. So David lost. But Sensei patted him on the back and said "You may THINK that you lost, but you Didn't! You won because you never quit trying! Good WORK David!" My son BEAMED!

Luckily it was a night that my wife chose to come and watch the class (which she usually doesn't do)...she was extremely impressed with the kids and the class overall. The senior students are really great with helping with the children!

One funny thing, my daughter Loves to grapple. But she's SO VERY cute! She's a little six year old blond with big chipmonk cheeks, just under average height and weight for a six year old......but BUILT like a BRICK. She's SOLID, but you'd not know it to look at her. Anyway, she gets out there and from start to finish she's SMILING HUGE!! And when she's in the heat of the match, she giggles a cute little high-pitched giggle!!!!!!

That's GOT to be disheartening!! ;)

Your Brother
John

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's wonderful news! Sounds like you came across an excellent teacher!

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Anyway, she gets out there and from start to finish she's SMILING HUGE!! And when she's in the heat of the match, she giggles a cute little high-pitched giggle!!!!!!

That's GOT to be disheartening!! ;)

Your Brother
John

My little girl does the same thing. And not just grappling, but in sparring as well. I'm not sure she feels pain like I do. for example, I can grind her on Spleen-17 (a nasty ankle point) and she laughs uncontrollably.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting my son (8 yrs old) and daughter (6 yrs old) into the local rec-commisions Judo classes. They list in their catalog that they begin at 4 years of age.

I'd like to know from the knowledgeable judoka here their thoughts on:
* Teaching YOUNG children judo
* Children in Judo competition
* Helping a child (Through Judo classes) who's not physically confident and doesn't like "Competition".
* does/can Judo training help a young person become more assertive w/out becoming violent. (I realize that the greatest determinant on these things is wrapped up in who the instructor is and their own approach, but I'd like to get YOUR take on things)

I teach/study/train in American Kenpo Karate and both of my kids express that they'd like to study under me sometime in the future, and I'd LOVE that, but I feel that I'd like to get their martial arts experience kicked off in something else, as well as something that doesn't focus as much on brute force applied to soft tissues (as Kenpo does). ((PLEASE NOTE: I'm not saying that Judo can't be devastating when a Judoka needs it to be, but that in being "the gentle way" I'm hoping to gain a good and safe experience for the kids....one they can build on))
Besides, I think it's difficult and problematic to have your first instructor to be "Sensei Daddy"....I'd rather give that honor to some other worthy instructor.

Thank you for any and all input and opinions!

Your Brother
John
PS: DO you know of any internet resources to look into for Judo and children?
Links??

I was cleaning out my basement the other day and I found a box of books that my Mom had saved for 30 years or more. Inside was 'Judo for Children', a very interesting book from about 1975 or so...

kajikan

White Belt
Reaction score
The international judo federation and the Kodokan judo institute have excellent videos and teaching aids for teaching kids. Former world champion Yamashita has an excellent video on teaching skills and plays to young judokas. You may be able to get a sample video from they site. It may help you convey your enthusiasm to your kids.

Latest Discussions