Judo martial artists: what to call them?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've checked many Judo websites, read a few online research papers about Judo, and even some Judo threads on various forums. They all give different terms and aren't consistent.

It just makes me wonder on what term would be more proper to call those who study judo: judoka, judoist, judo player? Or does this matter at all? What does -ka and -ist really mean when associated with a martial style? If the choice of term doesn't matter, is it then up to an individual's preference? :idunno:

- Ceicei

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Judoka, like karateka or kendoka, means a person who practices the art in question (in Japanese). I think Judoka is the most widely used term overall.

In English I hear Judo player more often than Judoist but both are acceptable.

G

Gaston

In Canada we use the term judoka only within the martial arts community. Otherwise it is just easiest to say "I train at the Judo club". Usually this is followed by a long sigh and a lengthy explanation as to how Judo is not just like Kung-Fu. ect....
lol

A

auxprix

hahaha, same here. I still can't convince my parents that I'm constantly using their washer and dryer for washing my JudoGi, and not my Karate Costume.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Auxprix - that's funny! My elderly mother calls it that too - my karate costume. Mom, it's a dobak, a uniform. "Same thing," she says. Sigh.

My teacher is Go Dan and we refer to him and other judo students as judoka.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Auxprix - that's funny! My elderly mother calls it that too - my karate costume. Mom, it's a dobak, a uniform. "Same thing," she says. Sigh.

My teacher is Go Dan and we refer to him and other judo students as judoka.

That's cool. When I was coming up it was a "Karate suit." My instructors were "Karate Coaches."

lol..."Mom, could you make it sound any-more sissyish?"

:uhyeah:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is "judoka" its own plural? That's how I hear it used in English (one judoka, two judoka).