Belt tips

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No this is not about insights..........

There is a local school that after the Black belt Test, if the person continues to teach gets a little yin/yang pin on one end of thier belt. If they continue to fight (tourny's, kickbox, etc.) they get a little GoJu fist pin on the other end of belt

I was wondering and asking the collective brain - where would one get something like this??

S

sifu nick

You can buy pins through just about any martial arts supplier. Putting them on your Black Belt....well, I'll just keep my opinion to myself on that one.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wasn't going to reply, but this is something which smacks of being McDojo-esque. Is it a child wearing these pins? And, logically speaking (I'm a kenpoist, therefore I am logical!), wouldn't he/she run the risk of getting hurt when the ends of the belt fly up during training? Never mind an open pin back and a groin shot... KT

OP
The Kai

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually I can understand your ridicule, they are small, pewter and discreet. They are affixed permentatly (not that i see them all that much, but never seen them come loose)

McDojo-ish, not really it is primarily a "inner" city School and highly disciplined. I myself have the ability to look through the standard catalogs, when i asked the question i had already done so. The pins i see there i would'nt even really stick on a demin jacket. Thank you for your time, judements and assumptions
Todd

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are the one who's judging. You don't know our history, either.

I went through a system which has inner city schools and the system's uniforms were, to say the least, flashy - full of patches, elaborate embroidery, and so on. As to whether it made a difference in what was learned - no, it did not. The curriculum is the curriculum - no thought involved, just fit the mold, which is good for some people and not others. I have an inherent dislike of schools which feel that adults need to have all the flash in order to feel good about themselves. That's treating them like children and is disrespectful to them as human beings.

Sorry if you disagree, but it's my opinion. KT

OP
The Kai

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actuallt they wear white gi's (the pins in question are are maybe 1/2inch around and barely noticable). If I was judgeing I do apolgize, Todd

M

Mark Weiser

The only thing I allow in my school is two 3 inch patches on the left shoulder that is a tribute to SGM Parker. The universial patch and his orginal school patch.

I do not see any reason to add something to the belt.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
sounds kinda dumb and counterproductive, however it sounds like you want them for something else anyway. Since you have seen them, have you tried asking the ppl wearing them, or their instructor? Other than the other obvious things, try trophy shops. They often do other stuff like pins, shirts, etc. Post if you find em, and try to get a picture, I'd like to see them.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I first read thsi post I took it 2 ways.

"I was wondering and asking the collective brain - where would one get something like this?? brought 2 things to mind. Are you asking where someone would physically get your hands on a product like this or where would they come up with an idea like this.

Either way, I found it funny how many peopel jumped in and thought how wrong it was. My question is why is it wrong? Is it because it is different? Or do feel feel our belts are so sacred that nothing should be on them?

Personally I wouldn't use them on the belts, but it is just a symbol to differentiate people in teh class just like wearing an instructor crest on the uniform.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
When I first read thsi post I took it 2 ways.

"I was wondering and asking the collective brain - where would one get something like this?? brought 2 things to mind. Are you asking where someone would physically get your hands on a product like this or where would they come up with an idea like this.

Either way, I found it funny how many peopel jumped in and thought how wrong it was. My question is why is it wrong? Is it because it is different? Or do feel feel our belts are so sacred that nothing should be on them?

Personally I wouldn't use them on the belts, but it is just a symbol to differentiate people in teh class just like wearing an instructor crest on the uniform.
Rob,
There are those of us who are phobic about ANYTHING on our uniforms because of past experience (see my post earlier). Yes, it's a personal preference on my part at this point - and I DO have the option, as it happens, to wear my uniform completely unadorned or with a school patch, an American flag (which I've always had on my sleeve), and possibly the Universal symbol. Since you are a kenpo person also, I would imagine that your belt is just the solid red tape indicating your rank of master - or is it? I was told plain belts were a kenpo thing. KT

M

Mark Weiser

I have seen some Kenpo Schools that use a white Stripe on the Black Belt and use only one stripe no matter the Rank of Dan.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
Rob,
There are those of us who are phobic about ANYTHING on our uniforms because of past experience (see my post earlier). Yes, it's a personal preference on my part at this point - and I DO have the option, as it happens, to wear my uniform completely unadorned or with a school patch, an American flag (which I've always had on my sleeve), and possibly the Universal symbol. Since you are a kenpo person also, I would imagine that your belt is just the solid red tape indicating your rank of master - or is it? I was told plain belts were a kenpo thing. KT

I have several uniforms and each has it purpose. I have a plain black one for attending events where I am to learn. It has nothin on it and I wear a plain black belt. I do this when I attend places where I won't be known, and just want to stay anonimous. I have my Seminar uniform for when I am conducting the seminar. It has the Parker Crest on the front, a Universal Pattern crest on the sleeve and a Canadian Flag on the sleeve. It also has my last name on Embroidered on the back. If it is a Kenpo school I am doing the seminar at I wear by Belt with the Bar at each end. If it is not a kenpo school I usually use the plain Black Belt.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
I have several uniforms and each has it purpose. I have a plain black one for attending events where I am to learn. It has nothin on it and I wear a plain black belt. I do this when I attend places where I won't be known, and just want to stay anonimous. I have my Seminar uniform for when I am conducting the seminar. It has the Parker Crest on the front, a Universal Pattern crest on the sleeve and a Canadian Flag on the sleeve. It also has my last name on Embroidered on the back. If it is a Kenpo school I am doing the seminar at I wear by Belt with the Bar at each end. If it is not a kenpo school I usually use the plain Black Belt.
Actually, my head instructor does something similar. He has one gi (that I know of) which is the 'ceremonial' gi, having all the patches you mention (but an American flag) and his name, along with New York. I've never seen him in a plain black belt, but it's possible (probable) he has one. KT

CB2379

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
Actually, my head instructor does something similar. He has one gi (that I know of) which is the 'ceremonial' gi, having all the patches you mention (but an American flag) and his name, along with New York. I've never seen him in a plain black belt, but it's possible (probable) he has one. KT
Hey there KT,
I asked our instructor about his Gis and he told me he had about 5 of them. He said he had one "official gi", which you have mentioned, with his name on it. He said he only wears that for official purposes. The normal one he wears during class is the one with our logo on it. I am under the impression that no one can wear the Parker crest, your name and the IKKA patch unless you are a member of the IKKA. But I don't even know if the IKKA is still an official organization being that their webpage has been offline for over a year.

Chuck

M

Mark Weiser

The IKKA is no longer a viable organization. The IKKA patch is usually reserved as a honorary symbol for Kenpo Black Belts to recongize SGM Ed Parker founding EPAK. That is why the useage of a 3 inch patch on the left shoulder small enough not to over shadow the School Patch but still visible to others. Most Kenpoist understand the purpose of wearing these patches as a honor to our founder.

Now if you were to wear the Larger Patch on the LEFT Chest Area then you may have a problem.

M

Mark Weiser

Well it all depends on whom is going to be offended lol. Since the IKKA is no longer a viable Organization then you can not be an IKKA school. So wearing a IKKA School Patch on the Left Chest area is not an option.

However this brings up a whole another issue if you were an IKKA school where would you go to be covered by an organization. AKKI? or to other former IKKA BB?

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I spoke with Ed Parker Jr. a month or so ago, and he said teh IKKA is still functioning and going through a retooling phase. Just because they let their website go doesn't the association has died.

Latest Discussions