Belt Testing Format

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A discussion about the format of a belt test has popped up in THIS THREAD in the TKD community, and I thought I'd bring it out as a topic all its own here in the General Martial Arts community.

What do you think of the various formats around for belt testing, or the equivalent if your art doesn't use belts? Some of the formats I'm aware of range from "Hey, here's your new belt" at the end of class to multi-day testing, with extreme physical challenges. Some tests are little more than demonstrating a couple of forms, others run through everything you're supposed to know from every test before that one. Is a black belt test different from a regular belt? Are tests open to the public? Other students? One test I've heard of takes place after class, after everyone has left, without warning or prep; others have a year or more to prepare...

So... whaddaya think?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does it really matter?
Testing is what any one instructor or organization requires.
Low level testing for my students are all much the same. A particular set of movements (form), a display of a level of fitness and strength, a verbal testing of certain information, a particular level of skill utilizing the required techniques. At the intermediate levels testing begins to change into more of an individual test still have some specific requirements but add some freedom for individuals differing strengths, weaknesses and perspectives. At the advanced levels all most all testing is done as an individual test again with some specific required form and techniques but with a lot of personal application. I will test to the individuals strengths and weaknesses allowing growth in all areas be it conditioning & fitness, form skill, application skill, knowledge skill, combative sport skills, self-defensive skills, weapons skills, etc.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been exposed to both formats. When I was a kid, doing karate, we had formal tests. After acquiring the requisite number of class hours, you were allowed to sign up and test which included a little physical requirements but it was essentially demonstrate the requisite forms and self defense techniques. Much later, as a young adult, I went to a kung fu school that used a similar promotion system. Since then I've studied Kung fu at another school where I did private study and never tested, studied tai chi where I was given a certificate upon learning a form, currently studying BJJ where they just give you the belt when you're ready, and have dropped into other BJJ schools with much more formal testing procedures.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with what Danny T. said as far as testing is what any instructor or organization requires. All the promotion testings I've been involved with have been formal affairs. Some have required to demonstrate all the material from white belt to whatever current rank you have. The most recent organization I had been involved with only tested you on current ranking material and one previously learned form which you knew ahead of time. I just recently started with a new school and organization and I'm not sure as of yet what testing will be like with them.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It can be 'given' or after some KO combat, or written test, or... The format is flexible. The level shouldn't be.
Some work hard to have a (few) Dan, that lastly have no meaning 'alone' because we know there plenty of absolutely ridiculous Dan out there.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We operate under the idea that testing occurs every single day, in and out of class.
You're grades are dropping? No, you won't be promoting.
You got arrested for stealing a car? Gimme that belt back! (No, that's never happened...)
When a student of rank A is performing consistently at the level of A+1, they're ready to promote.
The actual "test" is more of a demo than anything.
Students will perform their current highest poomsae, and know that they will also be expected to perform any or all of their lower forms.
Sparring, self defense and breaking are also part of the test, as is testing their general knowledge.
How long this takes depends on a number of things.
We're a small (class size ranges from 10-20 students, on average) non-commercial school, so we're not usually promoting a large group, and the higher the rank, the less often there will be someone eligible, obviously.
The tests tend to be fairly short.
If there are, say, 3-4 people testing for geup ranks, we will bring them up. Each will have their own simsa kwan, and one person (usually me) will oversee the testing. Each person will perform at least two forms, do some sparring, demonstrate some self defense techniques, and do their required break.
One person at a low geup rank can be tested in about 15 minutes.
Higher ranks will tend to take longer, with Dan tests being about an hour or so. My last test was less than 90 minutes and involved doing (if memory serves) about 10 randomly chosen forms (out of the 40 or so I practice), sparring vs 1, 2 and 3 opponents, 15-20 minutes demonstrating self defense stuff, a power break (eight 8x16x2" pavers), a speed break (two 4x16x2" pavers), and a half dozen randomly chosen (by the students watching) breaks ("How should I break this?" "With your head!") on the usual 1" pine boards.
Then we had a pot luck dinner.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Our in-school testings have a little more flexibility than regional or national testings. We test on three of these four:: forms, sparring, weapons, board breaks. At the larger testings, the student can only present three. At an in-school testing, I make them present all four, then the judges pick the best three for the scores.

The hardest part of our testings, though, is getting permission to test. If they get permission from me, I'm telling them that I think they are ready for the challenge of the next rank. The actual testing is a public display of their skills, and they do have to show their stuff while under the pressure of the testing environment. Getting a no change on a testing is not the end of the world, it's part of the learning experience. I've certainly had my fair share of them.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Can only speak about the geup tests. Kids will usually test only on their current material which is one form, 5 self defense moves, 5 one-step sparring techniques, some korean terminology and a board break. From 2nd geup onwards they will also have to demonstrate the older material.

Adults need to demonstrate everything from white belt on.

As far as preparation for testing: we earn a stripe each for: new form, new set of Ho Sin Sools and new set of one-step sparring techs, once you have earned all three stripes you get permission to test.