Belt Rankings - Keeping up with the times!

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig

I did not mean to imply that you did not have quality instruction. I was under the impression that you were not currently working with someone. My apologies.

Not sure there is a consensus that anyone in St. Louis, much less Tracy's wants to teach you Scott!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dan

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Scott Bonner

No, I'm currently working with Mr. Hughes. That may change soon, as I'll be moving to St. Louis in August and as of yet have not found a quality teacher that teaches the kind of Kenpo I want to learn. I may have to take, gods forfend!, TKD! Anything but Tracy's! :D (just kidding around; don't get uptight anyone).

Peace,
Scott

That's it. The KENPO WARS have just started!:redeme:

OP
S

Scott Bonner

Originally posted by Sigung86

Not sure there is a consensus that anyone in St. Louis, much less Tracy's wants to teach you Scott!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dan

Well, so much for visiting you! :eek:

:rofl:

OP
S

Scott Bonner

Originally posted by RCastillo

That's it. The KENPO WARS have just started!

Sweet! Now we can be "battle tested" just like Crav Maga!

:boxing:

I would talk some serious smack here, but I'm just a purple belt. :rofl:

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score

Sweet! Now we can be "battle tested" just like Crav Maga!

:boxing:

I would talk some serious smack here, but I'm just a purple belt. :rofl:

Yeah,

Quit while your ahead and Uncle Dan may still let you come over. In fact ya might even get to pick up on some of the Sub Level 4 stuff Uncle Dan has been working on over the past couple of years w/ Doc.

Anyway as it goes you'll probably have to start over from white (maybe they'll let you keep your rank if your a good purple, but if it's not AK you'll be working your way back through). If your around a year from now that probably means Mr. Hughes instilled a love for the art in you. If not....well....maybe the pain of having to re-do those first 4 ranks was too much...In any case, good luck, hope you stick with it and keep your mind open to the possibilities and don't assume you can learn from only one person or one way (not that you do).

jb:asian:

OP
S

Scott Bonner

Originally posted by jbkenpo
If your around a year from now that probably means Mr. Hughes instilled a love for the art in you. If not....well....maybe the pain of having to re-do those first 4 ranks was too much...In any case, good luck, hope you stick with it and keep your mind open to the possibilities and don't assume you can learn from only one person or one way (not that you do).

jb:asian: [/B]

I'll be doing martial arts a year from now; the only question is where. I have no problem with starting over. As long as I'm learning, it's all good (I say that, but I'm still hoping I can earn a blue belt before I move ;) ). I know I can learn from many sources.

The question is, if I can't continue with the kind of AK I like, should I try for a closely related art, or should I start taking ("traditional", non-sport) TKD from my brother (a 5th Dan)?

Or something else?

These are the things I'm trying to decide.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well, I tried to go from kenpo to traditional TKD (non sport) and it didn't work real well. i found the korean styles just too different... a lot of the stuff you learn there will directly contradict what you learned in kenpo, so you're likely to get mixed up, especially if you plan on going back to kenpo. you'll have to change how you do things and then change them back. I would advise you to master one style first, and when you feel very secure there, then cross train if you want.

just my $0.02

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
many Korean and Japanese movements are diametrically opposed to our principles and concepts...... like base stances, methods of switching directions etc. many "traditional" movements may have worked 60 years ago but not logical today.

:asian:

OP
S

Scott Bonner

Nightengale,

Yeah, that's what I'm most worried about. I actually did my first martial arts training in TKD with my brother -- one summer, 3 hours a day, 5 days a week, everyone gets a pounding. I was 19 then; 11 years later, as I start Kenpo, I still have to unlearn my unpracticed TKD info to learn the new Kenpo stuff because, as you implied, the two arts are incompatible in just about every way. I don't know if I want to do that again. I know I want to do American Kenpo as my core art, but there's more to consider than just that. He's my brother and first instructor, after all, and this will be the first time we've lived near each other. And, his hard-core, comprehensive take on TKD may be the best stuff in the St. Louis area. I just don't know yet (no offense, Dan -- I only know you online so far, so I can't yet compare).

OP
S

Scott Bonner

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
many "traditional" movements may have worked 60 years ago but not logical today.[/B]

Truly.

My brother is an odd bird in that respect. He is adamant that he's teaching traditional, hard-core TKD, but at the same time he'll admit the Japanese origins of TKD, and he has worked hard to do what I would call modernizing it, like incorporating boxing, kickboxing, judo, jujutsu, and other stuff and trying to make it more and more self-defence focused and street-effective.

To top it all off, when I tell him that I like the comprehensive nature of Kenpo (as a learning system that can incorporate info from many martial arts), he tells me that TKD -- the real TKD -- has all of that stuff at the higher levels (well past 1st dan). He's a man of contradictions in that way, but a dam* good instructor.

:idunno:

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Seig

That's not true, they have just moved from guerilla to conventional!:rofl:

You're trying to kill me, and after I made you look good on my Photo Gallery?:confused:

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

And, his hard-core, comprehensive take on TKD may be the best stuff in the St. Louis area. I just don't know yet (no offense, Dan -- I only know you online so far, so I can't yet compare).

It probably is Scott. No offense taken. Press on... I'm not in St. Louis anyway, and I suspect 50 miles would be too far for you to drive to come and see me, so it doesn't really matter. And considering that Tracy's Karate is inferior... It's all good and really ok with everyone, I'm sure, if you study TKD.

I'll press on too... I just imagine.

Dan

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I tell my brother that I like the comprehensive nature of Kenpo (as a learning system that can incorporate info from many martial arts), he tells me that TKD -- the real TKD -- has all of that stuff at the higher levels (well past 1st dan). He's a man of contradictions in that way, but a dam* good instructor.

I'd love to debate that one with him........... No TKD has anything like Kenpo in it unless it has been changed and added .......

He is quite off base here even if he is a damn good instructor at whatever.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

I'd love to debate that one with him........... No TKD has anything like Kenpo in it unless it has been changed and added .......

He is quite off base here even if he is a damn good instructor at whatever.

What many people fail to realize, and I am not saying you are, is that TKD as it was orignally designed was designed for unarmed people to take people off horse back...Kenpo was designed for today's world, it's apples and oranges(er, I should probably say pineapples and bannanas):eek:

OP
S

Scott Bonner

Originally posted by Sigung86

It probably is Scott. No offense taken. Press on... I'm not in St. Louis anyway, and I suspect 50 miles would be too far for you to drive to come and see me, so it doesn't really matter. And considering that Tracy's Karate is inferior... It's all good and really ok with everyone, I'm sure, if you study TKD.

I'll press on too... I just imagine.

Dan

Well, I wouldn't expect anyone to get uptight about what little ol' me chooses to do.

I can't read tone in your email. Have I annoyed you at some point? If so, I apologize. For the record, my earlier humor aside, I've never made a judgement on Tracy's material. I don't know enough about it (though I've heard lots of stuff online).

Also, what does your last line mean?

OP
C

C.E.Jackson

For a small fee.... I offer a referee service.:rofl:

Common guys. Can't we all be friends?

I little diversity in oppinion is a GOOD thing I think.:D

WOW!!! I got my "Orange Belt" for this little bit of wisdom!
I'm so proud:rofl:

Latest Discussions