Belt knots

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Cthulhu
Yeesh, you're both starting to sound like Gou!

Soon...soon my plans will be complete...

(insert maniacal laughter here)

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Klondike93
But then again it is just a belt.

Good point. What about people who train in systems with no belts?

OP
K

Kirk

You're gonna make me say it, huh? The fact of the matter is
that I'm too fat to wear any belt besides a 9. My instructor
forgot, and gave me a size 8. So I have these little bitty
stubs of belt sticking out beyond my knot. So embarassing.
So I thought .. if I were to wrap it around ONCE, and trim it
to a decent length, then I'm good to go. Melting it was my first
thought, but no idea on how to do that without making the
ends all curled and black. Thanks for the humiliation!

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by Kirk
forgot, and gave me a size 8. So I have these little bitty
stubs of belt sticking out beyond my knot. So embarassing.
So I thought .. if I were to wrap it around ONCE, and trim it
to a decent length, then I'm good to go. Melting it was my first
thought, but no idea on how to do that without making the
ends all curled and black. Thanks for the humiliation!

I push myself to be in the next grading pool so that I got new belt instead of doing any work to the existing belt. Use this one as motivator for yourself to work a little harder(I know it is hard with your new daughter), and maybe in a few levels a size 8 will seem a little long. just for the next grading make sure your instructor has the proper size for you.

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Kirk
forgot, and gave me a size 8.

Frank Trejo took 2 belts and sewed the ends together for himself.

OP
V

vincefuess

It's called a martial arts supply store. They got 'em. Buy one. I think they are about $7.

OP
K

Kirk

It's called a martial arts supply store. They got 'em. Buy one. I think they are about $7.

Is that ... *sniff* *sniff* yes, that's definitely sarcasm. I thought
I recognized the smell! ;) :asian:

OP
V

vincefuess

It DID walk like the duck, and it DID quack like the duck...

BWAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Sorry Dude! Just having a little fun....

OP
V

vincefuess

My dad used to lay that one on me all the time!!

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I be thinking some people have way tooooooooo much free time on their hands. Little nursery rhymes are cute though.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Vince Sorry Dude! Just having a little fun....

No need to apoligize, I condone fun. ;) Was having it myself.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I actually have a rack where I store all my old belts on......... it has the crest on the left and is all hand carved with pegs sticking out to the right with white on thru the blacks there.:cool:

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
here's how I tie: start with belt folded in left hand. take one end of belt and place it on my right hip then circle the rest of the folded belt around my waist, usually twice. now once it's wrapped twice around my waist, I take the second end and tuck under the the two wrapped portions, I then take the starting end, that's underneath the two wrapped portions and pull it down, take that end and proceed to tie a knot, and I usually have two equal lengths on each side.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

I actually have a rack where I store all my old belts on......... it has the crest on the left and is all hand carved with pegs sticking out to the right with white on thru the blacks there.:cool:

Mr.C.
That looked pretty cool! Did you make it yourself or have someone do it for you? I definately haven't seen anything like that out before & it looked kind of old.
Jason Farnsworth

p.s. Honest I didn't touch it or anything hanging on it!!!!!!!

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by jfarnsworth
That [Belt Rack] looked pretty cool! Did you make it yourself or have someone do it for you? I definately haven't seen anything like that out before & it looked kind of old.

It was a gift but it was all hand carved by a custom wood worker. Only about 18 years ago.

:asian:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had to trim my yellow belt. my instructor at the time accidentally got me one that was about six sizes too big and could go around my waist around five times.

your second best option: find someone who sews. Simply chop the unwanted portion off the belt, cut about 1/2 an inch of the inside stuffing out, fold, and hem neatly. You can't even tell its been chopped if you do it right. This is what I did.

your third best option: lop off the part you don't want. get yourself to your nearest craft store (Michaels is good) and buy a bottle of StopFray. Its kind of like rubber cement, but specially made to stop fabric from unravelling. Apply to the end of the belt. Use sparingly, because it is slightly visible on the fabric. This stuff works great to keep holes in jeans from getting bigger (use on inside of fabric) and fabric ribbons from unravelling. My friend used this option on one of her TKD belts, and it looked fine unless you looked at the end very closely, because you could see a little bit of the grey stiffener padding inside it.

Of course, the best option is to just get a belt that fits. They're a couple of bucks at the supply store.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472

get yourself to your nearest craft store (Michaels is good) and buy a bottle of StopFray. Its kind of like rubber cement, but specially made to stop fabric from unravelling.

Hehe, you really can buy anything in America can't you!

Ian.

OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by vincefuess

Now if you are teaching a husky gal with a Billy Ray Cyrus haircut, it might be an okay approach...

:rofl:

An achey breaky hair mistakey!!! :rofl:

Latest Discussions