Behaviour of boy scout groups while camping? Discuss...

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
For youth group camping at the park, we typically get out-of-state scout boy groups, generally from CT, RI, NY and Mass. The CT and RI scouts are largely very good, where the MA and NY scouts are more of a mixed bag.

Over the Columbus day weekend, we had some large groups in from Mass. as well as CT. Both were fantastic! But in the beginning of the we had a couple of groups that weren't so great, with noise and etiquette issues that had to be managed. What was more disappointing to me than the behavioural issues, was that the boys themselves just didn't seem that in to camping with us.

One of the rangers posited that the problematic groups had a different mentality...as if camping with us was little more than a checkbox to be checked.

Do any of you see this sort of mentality with youth group camping -- boy scouts or otherwise?

A scout is kind, courteous, and helpful. Unfortunately lots of scouts don't live up to that, you do find bullying in boyscouts like you find it just about everywhere else.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now these days there's no place where bullying can't be found

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carol -- any updates? Things get worked out?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it was the dojo I'd make them do pushups till I get tired of watching next time and any bullying after that will have to leave the dojo

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it was the dojo I'd make them do pushups till I get tired of watching next time and any bullying after that will have to leave the dojo

Bullies in the dojo can sometimes include the people that run the dojo.

Latest Discussions