Beginner want comment on cane fight practice

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks GowGaWolf

How can I forget this relax striking?!!! I've been doing this for punching all these years, just never translate to cane!!! I even kept talking about punching with relaxed and only tense up at the last moment. That was what I was talking all along aim at 2" into the target and that's where I tense up right before even touching the target and maximize 2" into the target. Is it like that also, tensing up when hitting the target?

Thanks

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Id rather base that off trends in his own area, for example, literally no one will have one here unless they are old for walking on, i think i have only seen 3 people with them around, now if your talking height of the swagger stick as part of fashion, fair enough. But if your really unlikely to come across someone with one, or they are going to be old ad hoc will probbly work fine. Unless they happen to also do cane fighting, but thats really uncommon.
I never seen anyone younger than me using a cane. In fact my wife and friends said I am too young to have a cane. I can't even find anyone that is willing to use a cane, they feel offended even when I ask them as it makes them sound OLD!!! I can see from their expression. Which, is a good thing for me, I don't worry about the old people that use a cane to attack me, I have huge advantage against a younger and stronger one without a cane. That's why I am not even interested in all the blocking and all that.

I am not taking this as a sport, it's purely for survival seeing all the Asians being attacked on the street.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you try to throw 4 punches in 1 second 1000 times daily, you will understand breathing.

1. Throw 4 punches (without moving your feet).
2. Walk 4 steps,
3. Repeat 1, 2.
I have no problem breathing doing punching and kicking, I get used to it after years in it.

I am no where in that condition. I do a few 7 minutes rounds as aerobics, I don't run at all. My work out is long enough already because almost half the time is on weight training. I believe in both strength and aerobics, not one or the other. I've seen very strong people that have no wind and I've seen long distance runner without much strength. In fact one of the famous Tae Kwon Do master that has a few school was training in my gym before, I can out bench press him easily!!!

I am 180lbs(over weight), I do 20 to 24 reps of pushup with 60lbs weighted jacket with legs on the chair. I still do 10 reps of bicep curls with 40lbs dumbbell in each hand. Doing body weight dips, and squat with dumbbells and weight jacket total of 140lbs. I am not that strong, but I do my share of weights. I am really bad on pull ups, I can barely do 6 reps with body weight because I am 180lbs!!! To me, strength and fighting technique are equally important, all the techniques in the world won't get you very far without strength.

You punch 4 punches in 1sec, you won't have power in the punches. I do practice fast punches on heavy bags, about like 3 punches/sec, but I won't have time to use my feet, hip and shoulder. It's like going through the motion. I more going for about 2 punches/sec and have time to put the whole body to use.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am no where in that condition. I do a few 7 minutes rounds as aerobics
This more than enough. Real attacks in the street rarely last 2 minutes. Most fizzle out after 1 minute.
I am really bad on pull ups, I can barely do 6 reps with body weight because I am 180lbs!!!
The weight isn't the issue. It just a heavier lift. The reason I say weight isn't an issue because I've seen skinny people struggle with pull ups as well.
Pull-ups use a different set of muscles that you probably don't train often. If you were to keep doing them you would slowly be able to do more and more. At your age weight would be more of an health issue than a strength issue. But only if the weight is fat. If the weight is muscle then there's no issue. I'm 40 pounds over-weight and for it's a fat issue lol. So as long as it's not fat weight then you are ok with the muscle.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This more than enough. Real attacks in the street rarely last 2 minutes. Most fizzle out after 1 minute.

The weight isn't the issue. It just a heavier lift. The reason I say weight isn't an issue because I've seen skinny people struggle with pull ups as well.
Pull-ups use a different set of muscles that you probably don't train often. If you were to keep doing them you would slowly be able to do more and more. At your age weight would be more of an health issue than a strength issue. But only if the weight is fat. If the weight is muscle then there's no issue. I'm 40 pounds over-weight and for it's a fat issue lol. So as long as it's not fat weight then you are ok with the muscle.
Ha ha, sadly it's fat!!! Don't you notice I have one big pack of "muscle" on my belly instead of 6 small packs?!!! Problem with me is I go on a "see food" diet. I see food and I eat food!!! Funny since I added the cane exercise 4 months ago, I lost 8lbs ( from 186 down to 178). I won't lose weight with weight training, the aerobics exercise of the cane training did it without even changing my diet. So far, under very light medication, my cholesterol level and blood pressure is fine, my A1C is still within the upper limit.( again, I hate getting old!!)

That's what I am thinking, why do I need to run a few miles and all that? I am not going to compete, I am not going to fight for the first in anything, why do I want to kill myself over that. I just want to survive an attack and protect my wife when I go out.

When you guys encouraged me to take the MMA class, it was tempting. But I decided against it. I am barely holding my body together doing all these trainings, adding one more is might push my body over the edge. My biggest lesson is I worked very hard in Tae Kwon Do in the 80s, I went to the school 2 hours before class and hit the bags, Practicing side kicks, round kicks, punching and all that all by myself. I started to have back problem after a little less than 3 years and finally I had to quit as there's no way I can continue. I went and see all different doctors short of surgery. I still continue practicing at home all these years, just no side and round kicks. Now only round kicks to the legs(low kicks). I don't want to further injure myself. I might have to cut down the hours a little as my body is complaining already. That's why I took a week off while my grand kids are staying with us.

I'll be taking up your advice to relax and swing the cane to get used to it. For one, swinging so hard does hurt my back. Hell, I have to waste a lot of time warming up before I can go full tilt. Again, I hate getting old!!!

Thanks

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ha ha, sadly it's fat!!! Don't you notice I have one big pack of "muscle" on my belly instead of 6 small packs?!!!
ha ha ha.. 1 pack. I've heard that before. Been there. Still there lol. But I'm 10 lbs lighter than I was last month so that's good.
That's what I am thinking, why do I need to run a few miles and all that? I am not going to compete, I am not going to fight for the first in anything, why do I want to kill myself over that. I just want to survive an attack and protect my wife when I go out.
The running is good for the heart. So even if you don't lose weight it still has some benefit.

I am barely holding my body together doing all these trainings, adding one more is might push my body over the edge.
Don't over workout. If you do that your body won't heal because it's always being torn down. You have to make sure you are getting 1 or 2 days of full rest so your body can do repairs and reorganize. Do this and you'll fill stronger and cut weight faster.

Not sure what is the cause of your back problems now. Most likely the extra weight isn't happening. It may also be muscle tension. It may also be muscle imbalance so it's pulling your body and spine in a bad way. These are things that I'm currently dealing with. I've been told that I needed to have surgery (that's without tests and xrays) and that was more than 15 years ago. IT turned out that my back issues were caused by my mattress. It turns out that it was just time for me to replace mine. I did that and things felt much better. I think that time is coming up again because I'm having some of the minor back issues (stiff back) that usually happens about a year or month before the back pain.

It could be a combination of things that were affecting your back then.
I still continue practicing at home all these years, just no side and round kicks. Now only round kicks to the legs(low kicks). I don't want to further injure myself. I might have to cut down the hours a little as my body is complaining already. That's why I took a week off while my grand kids are staying with us.
ha ha ha have your grand kids visit on days you need to rest so that your body can heal lol.

I'll let you know how my weight lost plan goes. I'm trying a new one this week that isn't far off from what I'm doing now. It'll be better organized. I think I'm done with rehab so I should be able to start doing things like push ups now. I'll ease back into exercises since it's almost been a year since I've done a push up. I gotta take those baby steps.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You punch 4 punches in 1sec, you won't have power in the punches.
This is why you work on

- 1 step 3 punches.
- 2 steps 3 punches.
- 3 steps 3 punches.

Power and speed are trade off. But it's still better for 30 lb force to hit on the head than for 300 lb force to miss into the thin air.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ha ha ha.. 1 pack. I've heard that before. Been there. Still there lol. But I'm 10 lbs lighter than I was last month so that's good.

The running is good for the heart. So even if you don't lose weight it still has some benefit.

Don't over workout. If you do that your body won't heal because it's always being torn down. You have to make sure you are getting 1 or 2 days of full rest so your body can do repairs and reorganize. Do this and you'll fill stronger and cut weight faster.

Not sure what is the cause of your back problems now. Most likely the extra weight isn't happening. It may also be muscle tension. It may also be muscle imbalance so it's pulling your body and spine in a bad way. These are things that I'm currently dealing with. I've been told that I needed to have surgery (that's without tests and xrays) and that was more than 15 years ago. IT turned out that my back issues were caused by my mattress. It turns out that it was just time for me to replace mine. I did that and things felt much better. I think that time is coming up again because I'm having some of the minor back issues (stiff back) that usually happens about a year or month before the back pain.

It could be a combination of things that were affecting your back then.

ha ha ha have your grand kids visit on days you need to rest so that your body can heal lol.

I'll let you know how my weight lost plan goes. I'm trying a new one this week that isn't far off from what I'm doing now. It'll be better organized. I think I'm done with rehab so I should be able to start doing things like push ups now. I'll ease back into exercises since it's almost been a year since I've done a push up. I gotta take those baby steps.
What rehab you are doing? For the back?

I over stressed my back doing high kicks, the pivoting reach torque my back. Like I said, I was working really hard, be in the school 2hrs before and kept doing side and round kicks over and over. That did my back in.

I am not a doctor, I can only show you what works for me on my back. I don't even see doctors anymore, their treatments never works. I am good in finding exercise that fix my body for me. To every injury, I usually find exercises that fixes it.....Still finding an exercise to fix my right knee and no luck so far.

I want to share a few exercise that really help my back. As I said, I am NOT and doctor, try it at your own risk, they work for me.

1) Sit up. I do 30, 3 times a week or if needed.

2)Follow by Back Arch, look at #4 in the link:
9 Easy Exercises That Will Help Ease Back Pain

3)Abduction and Adduction. The link show the machine and movement of it. What I do is I lie in bed, I first put the heals of both legs together and squeeze together for 30 second. Then I CROSS my feet to lock them together and PULL IT APART. Hold it for 30 seconds. This is the link to show the machine that do the same thing:

4) Cat and Dog:

As I said, I am not a doctor, I can only see these work for me, follow at your own risk.

Sports and injuries always go hand in hand. If someone say they never injure themselves from exercising, only thing I can think of is they don't work hard enough. It's always walking a fine line of getting in shape or injury.

BTW, I tried relax swinging the cane, feels good. I concentrate in using the leg, hip and shoulder to swing like the golf swing video you linked. I still get the "whooping" sound, but it's so much more relaxed. I was squeezing the handle so tight I ruin the foam rubber handle very fast and keep having to replace them on my canes!!! Hopefully this gets better swinging relaxed.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What rehab you are doing? For the back?
The thing I'm rehabbing now is my hip, top of the gluteus maximus and my abdomen on my left half of my body. So far it's been an 8 month recovery and I've finally got to the point where I think I can actually work out. For my hip and my abdomen I do 10 sit ups in the morning and walk in the evening. I do some simple staff techniques while I walk ant that's about it. Earlier this week I switched the staff for the weights.

Other than that I just do every day stuff and take note of when my hip feels like it wants to hurt and what type of movement I was doing when I felt that way. I think the last 2 days I haven't felt any discomfort in my hip when walking or moving around so I'll increase the intesity add some weights and see how my body reacts. I don't do any special exercises. Just a lot of walking. The funny thing about it, is that I learned how to walk using more of a different muscle group now. so there's that. I learned that I can push with my Gluteus maximus when walking up a hill. That's probably as a result of me trying to walk in a way that didn't irritate my hip. Since it worked, I'll make sure that muscle stays strong.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I want to share a few exercise that really help my back. As I said, I am NOT and doctor, try it at your own risk, they work for me.

1) Sit up. I do 30, 3 times a week or if needed.

2)Follow by Back Arch, look at #4 in the link:
9 Easy Exercises That Will Help Ease Back Pain
I'm just now reading this. I do these as well. But I only do the part that where you arch the back upward.
3)Abduction and Adduction. The link show the machine and movement of it. What I do is I lie in bed, I first put the heals of both legs together and squeeze together for 30 second. Then I CROSS my feet to lock them together and PULL IT APART. Hold it for 30 seconds.
I haven't done this since my 20's. I probably need to add that into my workout anyway. I'll give it a try.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The thing I'm rehabbing now is my hip, top of the gluteus maximus and my abdomen on my left half of my body. So far it's been an 8 month recovery and I've finally got to the point where I think I can actually work out. For my hip and my abdomen I do 10 sit ups in the morning and walk in the evening. I do some simple staff techniques while I walk ant that's about it. Earlier this week I switched the staff for the weights.

Other than that I just do every day stuff and take note of when my hip feels like it wants to hurt and what type of movement I was doing when I felt that way. I think the last 2 days I haven't felt any discomfort in my hip when walking or moving around so I'll increase the intesity add some weights and see how my body reacts. I don't do any special exercises. Just a lot of walking. The funny thing about it, is that I learned how to walk using more of a different muscle group now. so there's that. I learned that I can push with my Gluteus maximus when walking up a hill. That's probably as a result of me trying to walk in a way that didn't irritate my hip. Since it worked, I'll make sure that muscle stays strong.
Oh, you have hip problem. I don't have any experience, but this might not be as easy to fix it. My wife had both hip replacement. She ruin her hip by a lot of walking. Fast walking and running is very harsh on the hip. If you have hip problem, you might not want to put running back to your routine.

It almost seems like there's not much one can do once the cartridge wears out. BUT, the good news is the recovery is quite fast after you replace the hip bone by a metal joint. It's out patient surgery now, you recover really fast and the problem is gone. My wife doesn't even think about the hip much anymore, she forget about it most of the time.

Talk to a doctor, if your cartridge wears out, it's something you might not want to wait. My wife walked ok 4 days after the surgery and she can go back to normal life very soon. As compare to the wrist carpal tunnel surgery, it might sound small, but it took me 1/2 a year to get back to normal. Sadly, she has to have carpal tunnel surgery next month. That's the reason I am so mad about the iron palm that caused carpal tunnel on both of my hands.

That's the main reason I stop running, I ran for two months and I felt something on my hip, from experience of my wife, once you get it, it's not going to go away and ending up in hip replacement. I don't want that. So I stop running and my hip is fine........knock on wood. One problem is with hip replacement, I think you cannot do high Tae Kwon Do side and round kick, spin kick and all that. It might throw your metal hip out and you have to go to the doctor to put it back.

If you have more questions, I can have my wife respond to you directly.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Talk to a doctor, if your cartridge wears out, it's something you might not want to wait. My wife walked ok 4 days after the surgery and she can go back to normal life very soon. As compare to the wrist carpal tunnel surgery, it might sound small, but it took me 1/2 a year to get back to normal. Sadly, she has to have carpal tunnel surgery next month. That's the reason I am so mad about the iron palm that caused carpal tunnel on both of my hands.
I'm not there yet with the worn cartridge, thank goodness. The doctor did a few tests and he couldn't find anything wrong or damage with the joint so that only leaves muscle issues, which for me is better than joint issues. Long story short, my injuries are from a car accident I was in last year in late October.

I was developing carpal tunnel syndrome because of a mouse a track ball mouse fix that as I can place the mouse anywhere and use it. I don't need a table to slide it around. It took some time to get used to but it's better than pain in my hand and in my shoulders. It's expensive for a mouse, but it is worth it, especially when you catch it on sale :D. I have a coworker who recently had surgery on his wrist for the same thing. He got his from wrestling and something else. He said he had it for a long time and it got to the point where sometimes he couldn't feel his hand, because of the nerve damage.
That's the main reason I stop running, I ran for two months and I felt something on my hip, from experience of my wife, once you get it, it's not going to go away and ending up in hip replacement. I don't want that. So I stop running and my hip is fine........knock on wood. One problem is with hip replacement, I think you cannot do high Tae Kwon Do side and round kick, spin kick and all that. It might throw your metal hip out and you have to go to the doctor to put it back.
I'm glad I don't do high kicks and the way I do my side kick takes a lot of the stress off the hip and it almost looks like a back kick.

A good low kicks are effective. Most people don't pay attention to their legs. I used to teach self-defense classes to teens in a rough neighborhood. I would kick them in the legs. They would tell me that what I wasn't doing wasn't fair because they weren't expecting it. I grinned and told them. "That's the whole point. I'm not trying to be fair" and I kick them in the legs again. ha ha ha.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not there yet with the worn cartridge, thank goodness. The doctor did a few tests and he couldn't find anything wrong or damage with the joint so that only leaves muscle issues, which for me is better than joint issues. Long story short, my injuries are from a car accident I was in last year in late October.

I was developing carpal tunnel syndrome because of a mouse a track ball mouse fix that as I can place the mouse anywhere and use it. I don't need a table to slide it around. It took some time to get used to but it's better than pain in my hand and in my shoulders. It's expensive for a mouse, but it is worth it, especially when you catch it on sale :D. I have a coworker who recently had surgery on his wrist for the same thing. He got his from wrestling and something else. He said he had it for a long time and it got to the point where sometimes he couldn't feel his hand, because of the nerve damage.

I'm glad I don't do high kicks and the way I do my side kick takes a lot of the stress off the hip and it almost looks like a back kick.

A good low kicks are effective. Most people don't pay attention to their legs. I used to teach self-defense classes to teens in a rough neighborhood. I would kick them in the legs. They would tell me that what I wasn't doing wasn't fair because they weren't expecting it. I grinned and told them. "That's the whole point. I'm not trying to be fair" and I kick them in the legs again. ha ha ha.
Glad to hear it's not the cartridge. The hip joint is so simple once it goes wrong, option seems to be very limited. Don't do any running. My wife ruined both side by walking. She knew exactly how she ruined it. 9 years ago, she did a lot of walking( say slow jogging), she walk like 3 miles a day and 6 days a week. I told her she needs to take day off in between and she did not listen. She ruined her left hip first and had to replace it. It was bone on bone when they opened her hip up. She changed her exercise to stationary bike and stepper in the gym. Everything was well until last year when the gym closed down. She had no choice but to do walking again. There went her right hip. She had to have it replaced last August. Now she's all good and back to the gym. Her sister's husband just had his hip replaced a month ago. Good thing is the recovery is fast. He is completely normal now, it's fast.

Yes, one major symptom of carpal tunnel is numbness of the hand and can't feel the fingers. I had to have surgery on my left hand because I couldn't play the guitar as I couldn't feel the strings. My right hand is not as bad, I am trying to fix it myself without surgery. That takes a LONG time to fully recover. I couldn't punch the bag, bench press and even holding the dumbbell for months. You get disable a lot longer than hip replacement which is a much more a major surgery.

I thought I had it with my right hand when it got worst because of swinging the cane. Luckily I change to katana style two hand swinging, that alleviate a lot of load on the right hand. I hope I can get away without having to go under the knife. Funny using the mouse never bother me. I am on computer a lot doing computer aid design of circuit boards and other simulation software, I never have problem. One thing good is I DO NOT play video game, never interested in gaming since day one in 1975 when Pong first came out. I am just not into gaming. Just the stupid Iron Palm. I can never say enough to people, do NOT practice iron palm. If I can really strike very hard with the palm, at least it's worth it. But it doesn't. I gave it enough time, way too long!!

wolfeyes2323

Green Belt
Reaction score
Since you may assume your opponent also has a cane, you may include some techniques that combine defense and offense into one.

When you train a technique, you should ask yourself, "What principle am I training this technique for?" Ususlly a principle can be mapped into many techniques.

The following technique uses the principle - deflect your opponent's weapon then attack the opening that you have just created (This principle is also used in the open hand striking art). Please notice that he doesn't just block his opponent's attack. He use his weapon to bounce his opponent's weapon away and attack back at the same time.

In most of the sword fight movie, you chop at me, I block. I chop back at you, you block. Very few movies have fight that combine defense and offense into one. I don't understand why.

From your other posts, I can tell that you don't like CMA. CMA is built on top of principles. Each principle then map into different techniques.

https://i.postimg.cc/8P9xFjKM/miao-diao-comb-hair.gif

Hi

I have been practice self defense with walking cane for the last 4 months. I posted a thread in Philippine Martial Arts section over a month ago and got comments. Since, I changed a lot and I don't think it's Escrima style already, so I post here this time.

I changed to two hands holding the cane like Katana and learn more from Irish Stick Fighting for more poking and like punching. Please comment and guidance to improve.

This is hitting bags:

This is just air:
Many of the movement you are using are similar to Kendo,
I would add exercises the develop and co-ordinate the body
for striking. For instance the legs and core (torso) have
a lot to do with power in striking, there are many video's
like this one that teach how to develop the legs and core.
Like a baseball batter, striking hard/hitting involves much more
than the arms swinging the bat.

jergar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi

I have been practice self defense with walking cane for the last 4 months. I posted a thread in Philippine Martial Arts section over a month ago and got comments. Since, I changed a lot and I don't think it's Escrima style already, so I post here this time.

I changed to two hands holding the cane like Katana and learn more from Irish Stick Fighting for more poking and like punching. Please comment and guidance to improve.

This is hitting bags:

This is just air:
Hi looking at your videos, your foot work looks good you are Stepping on 45degree angles. Start your drill by standing in front of the bag then extend your arm with the cane/stick you want the end of your stick to be a few inches from the bag. Now bring your arm back , this is your safe distance from your opponent if he is the same size as you and has a stick/ cane in his hand. If he is taller longer arms and legs you will give more distance. You want to be in a neutral stance , feet shoulder width a part. If your stick is in your right hand bring your right hand up like your going to punch and rest the stick on your shoulder. First practice stepping straight in and strike the top of the bag (top of your opponent’s head) then do your figure 8 to strike the sides of the bag (shoulders , ribs, legs ) you have to imagine of course since you training alone. Then modify the drill by stepping on 45 degree angles left and right , you can swing the bag , as it come towards you do your step and strike, this will help with your timing and distance. I spent some time training by myself so I know the difficulties of it , You may be able to use this forum to find a work out partner or school depending on where you are located. Hope this helps!

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi

I have been practicing and taking in a lot of the suggestions here. Thanks

I am running into losing my cane from my hands. It's much better with two hands but it still happened particular when I try to hit and missed the bag. The cane just flew out of my hand even with two hands. The problem is worst with single hand. This is particularly bad when my hands sweat from practicing. I sweat a lot during exercise and my hands get all wet.

Another thing I encountered twice today when I practiced single hand. Swinging is fine, I make sure I squeeze my hand tighter when I anticipate to hit the target, but I accidentally hit the furniture that I did not expect to hit anything, the stick just flew out of my hand.

This might not be a problem in competition and matches as you have an open area you can swing. But in real life self defense situation, you might be in a restaurant or in places that you have other things in the way. How do you minimize this losing the stick accidentally?

I know it's not 100% prove, I've see people losing sticks on youtube also. But how do you minimize this short of using a string tying the sting to my wrist? I have been practicing squeezing the cane tighter in anticipation of hitting the object, but accidentally hitting stuffs in the surrounding is unpredictable and cannot be anticipated.

Last edited:
OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am thinking about this for a while also, the main concern is I lost the cane with two hands striking the bag and missed. The cane I used has thick padding at the tip as shown in the picture:
3 practicing stick.jpg

All 3 canes are United Cutlery Night Watchman cane:
UnitedCutlery.Com: Night Watchman Premium Adjustable Walking Cane - UC3129

Cane #1 is the one I used to hit the bag and flew off my hands when I missed the bag. I tried to hit low on the knee part and swing too low and passed under the bag and totally missed the bag. Because of the padding, the head is at least 2 1/2 oz all at the tip of the cane. It is too heavy for me to to swing in air. Even it's only 2 1/2oz more, but the weight is all at the tip of the cane, it feels very different from the other two. I am thinking, if the cane is lighter, it might not fly out of my hand. Is there any validity on this?

Cane #2 has a rubber foam handle. It is easier to swing than #3 that has no foam. BUT one important thing I am thinking, the foam makes the handle bigger. I cannot wrap around the handle with foam as secure as #3 without the foam. Would it be safer to NOT having the foam handle even though it's not as comfortable?

These are heavy cane, even the one without anything is 19oz, much heavier than rattan or even wood cane. I choose this for the stopping power. Now if the weight can cause me to lose the cane, that is a dilemma again.

Anyone have experience on this issue? How to choose the best weight for me?

thanks

Latest Discussions