Beginner, please give tips and advice

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I believe in an earlier post you mentioned you would like to compete in MMA. My question is: What does your ground game look like? I ask only because your foot work is so poor you will most likely be fighting from the ground more than your feet. Like others have said, I would seek out a coach and focus on the foot work.

Else get real good at wrestling or BJJ.

You can dislike all you wish..... the fact is your footwork is poor still stands..... especially when you move around and circle..... most every time you cross that back leg in close range..... you have no idea as you are significantly untrained..... but you will get swept over and over and over again...... just watching this brief vid..... easily saw multiple opportunities to "Sweep the Leg".... Low hand placement, very poorly executed kicks, major no/no's in the foot work as you move (ie....Feet WAY to close together).......

I understand you are untrained..... and had the courage to put this vid up..... this said.... the only way i see you getting better is with a coach..... and seriously if you are thinking about MMA..... you WILL NEED a ground game.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can dislike all you wish..... the fact is your footwork is poor still stands..... especially when you move around and circle..... most every time you cross that back leg in close range..... you have no idea as you are significantly untrained..... but you will get swept over and over and over again...... just watching this brief vid..... easily saw multiple opportunities to "Sweep the Leg".... Low hand placement, very poorly executed kicks, major no/no's in the foot work as you move (ie....Feet WAY to close together).......

I understand you are untrained..... and had the courage to put this vid up..... this said.... the only way i see you getting better is with a coach..... and seriously if you are thinking about MMA..... you WILL NEED a ground game.

You've done better than me, I saw all that and couldn't be bothered to say so, I just wrote 'get a coach'. Once he goes somewhere to train properly, the instructors are going to have to take the time to 'untrain' the bad habits.
When people come to me and apologise for not knowing anything because they are complete beginners I tell them it's actually the best way to come to a martial arts class and they will progress all the faster. People who have previously trained with a proper instructor are fine though, the very worst is the self taught who can't see why teaching yourself martial arts is just not a good idea.

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
forget about all of this guys, sorry I wasted your time
i won't be getting a coach or anything
I'll just keep doing my thing because I like what I'm doing atm
peace

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
peace

Just when it was going so well...

If you enjoy what you're doing and are content for it to be a fun hobby then great, carry on, maybe join a club if you want to expand what you're doing.

I do TKD and kickboxing because I enjoy it, I like what I can do and I like developing it.

If you actually do want to turn pro, a few hours a week alone on a heavy bag and/or hobby level attendance to a club won't get you there.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
peace
You sure? What changed your mind?

Finding a coach and training at a gym can be really rewarding. You get to realize how much you can improve, then see it when you actually do improve. Definitely something worth thinking about, especially since you seem like you've got motivation (I don't believe it magically disappeared).

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You sure? What changed your mind?

Finding a coach and training at a gym can be really rewarding. You get to realize how much you can improve, then see it when you actually do improve. Definitely something worth thinking about, especially since you seem like you've got motivation (I don't believe it magically disappeared).
I broke up with my gf today, got high on valium and smoked a pack of cigarettes. I'll probably be drinking again and when I read ''your foot work is so poor you will most likely be fighting from the ground more than your feet. '' it really took my motivation away lmao
U know I was skipping and thinking ''oh i think footwork is getting better'' and then this guy hits me with that comment and I realised my mentality is not good enough to go pro.
I'm 20 years old but I don't feel mature at all, I get angry easily and I enjoy street fights. I don't want to whine and say I made this decision because of my tough life and how I was brought up because that's just being a b!tch.
Once again thank you all for the help and the nice comments.
Peace

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I broke up with my gf today, got high on valium and smoked a pack of cigarettes. I'll probably be drinking again and when I read ''your foot work is so poor you will most likely be fighting from the ground more than your feet. '' it really took my motivation away lmao
U know I was skipping and thinking ''oh i think footwork is getting better'' and then this guy hits me with that comment and I realised my mentality is not good enough to go pro.
I'm 20 years old but I don't feel mature at all, I get angry easily and I enjoy street fights. I don't want to whine and say I made this decision because of my tough life and how I was brought up because that's just being a b!tch.
Peace
To me, you getting angry about it doesn't suggest you can't make it. It means you got some work to do, and in reality you do (watch any UFC event to see how often fights go to the ground). But if fighting is something that you enjoy, doing it this way can be much better in the long run, and you can get motivation from your goal, rather than the other way around (I know plenty of college-level athletes that stopped smoking because they wanted to get better).

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Peace

Sorry to hear that mate, that's never an easy thing. Hope you're okay, we all have our moments too so this isn't the end of anything. Just a minor setback so you can learn from this.

People will comment from all sorts of angles on forums, the best approach is to take it in the way that helps you grow, improve and become a better person. Of course some will purposely be snarky to bring you down, but that's no reason to give up completely. He's not responsible for how you feel. I know that may be disheartening, but you've improved in a few areas already, and will moreso when you train with a coach. I personally have seen improvement in your footwork in the videos, and we all have things we can improve on.

Like I said earlier, I wouldn't set up and be overwhelmed by a big hypothetical future, train because you ENJOY training, and see where THAT takes you. Let the fire and heart of your training guide you, you don't have to necessarily become pro. Just follow your heart, and train out of sheer enjoyment.

That's what gets you to improve and THAT'S what is truly fulfilling.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Peace

I see a lot of guys start self training and thinking they have or can acquire skills. They have a rude awakening when the actually get in a gym. I see this even more with BJJ.

Martial Arts is one of the most humbling activities you could ever get involved in. There is always something to learn and the more you train the more you realize how much you dont know. I have learned something from every training partner I have ever had.

I gave you my thoughts based on your comment of wanting to do some MMA in the future. You simply can not gain the technique or experience on your own. If for no other reason that you have no one to provide real resistance. A heavy bag is great but to quote an old movie "it doesnt punch back".

I clearly do not have the experience that MANY on this board poses, but I like the others see significant holes within your technique and movement. From what I have seen over the years is it takes a minimum of 3-4 years of dedicated training in both a stand-up and ground art to be skilled enough to get in the cage. And yes, I SAID MINIMUM.

I never said you could not work to obtain this. I said.....seek out a coach and stop trying to do this yourself if you truly want to compete.

Even chatting on this board to the extremely talented people on here will not be enough, and like Tez many wont give you much to any assistance in relationship to training for a few reasons, 1) You are too raw to coach off the internet, 2) they are willing to share their knowledge but not completely become your personal coach or instructor

I never told you to quit. I just gave you some tough love..... hopefully it will save you a beat down in the ring should you attempt this unprepared....

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Peace
Just go train somewhere. Don't worry about what people here or anywhere say YET. You are untrained, and have a desire to be a fighter/martial artist. This is a skill that requires training. If you have doubts about this, just train for a short time, and ask yourself if you could have taught yourself what you learned in that short time. If the answer is no, keep training! And it will be.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peace

Okay, tomorrow is another day, start again. Have a think about training yourself, you wouldn't train yourself to be a barber/dentist/gymnast/jockey, the critique you received is fair but instead of being downhearted and defeatist, think instead 'I'll show you' and come back after training with an instructor to show us how much you've improved.

I'm curious to know how you get high on Valium, I had it once before an op and I fell asleep! I also didn't realise Ipswich had so many street fights! Street fights aren't actually much fun, get into the cage after training for a fight and face your opponent that's a high and is fun. Winning is even more fun but even losing after the initial disappointment wears off is fun, you've done something many others won't/can't do, got in and faced your fears, faced and opponent, you come out feeling you just want to shout 'YES!!!'

I suspect you may just disappear, don't, stay, join in on the other threads, go to the gym and get taught by an instructor, don't make me find out who you are and drag you into the gym, trust me you'd be very embarrassed but you will train! Why would I do that, because I'm pretty sure you can be a fighter, you just need a shove in the right direction. Old martial arts saying...… get knocked down 7 times, get up 8. Get up and take those first steps to a gym, trust me, you won't regret it.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
just talked to the coach over the phone, i will be having my first kickboxing class tomorrow morning 9:30am to 10:30am
thanks tez...

9:30am???

I've barely finished my third coffee by then...

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Peace
If you want to keep doing your thing then go for it. There's nothing wrong with what your doing at least your exercising. But honestly skipping won't do much for your footwork. Skipping makes you light on your toes sure but that's just one part of footwork. You've got to make sure you stay in a good stance and don't cross your feet as well you've got make sure you cut good angles. This is stuff a coach will tell you. You're 20 that's still very young you need to find some direction but street fighting is stupid. Fights may make you seem cool when you're at school but in adult life you get into a lot fights people won't want to know you especially employers. The only people who'll want to know you is the police. Maybe if you get a coach train and maybe have a few amateur fights that'll give you better things to do than fight with some losers in the streets

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you want to keep doing your thing then go for it. There's nothing wrong with what your doing at least your exercising. But honestly skipping won't do much for your footwork. Skipping makes you light on your toes sure but that's just one part of footwork. You've got to make sure you stay in a good stance and don't cross your feet as well you've got make sure you cut good angles. This is stuff a coach will tell you. You're 20 that's still very young you need to find some direction but street fighting is stupid. Fights may make you seem cool when you're at school but in adult life you get into a lot fights people won't want to know you especially employers. The only people who'll want to know you is the police. Maybe if you get a coach train and maybe have a few amateur fights that'll give you better things to do than fight with some losers in the streets
just talked to the coach over the phone, i will be having my first kickboxing class at ipswich knights kickboxing tomorrow morning 9:30am to 10:30am
thanks tez...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just talked to the coach over the phone, i will be having my first kickboxing class at ipswich knights kickboxing tomorrow morning 9:30am to 10:30am
thanks tez...

Enjoy it!
55.jpg

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
thanks tez...
That's freakin' awesome dude, have fun, and please let us know how it goes :)

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
ok so it was great, i loved it :D
the coach seemed nice he's pretty chill but can get very serious at the same time
there were only like 2 guys around my age and the rest was just kids lmao
my stamina is bad, the coach told me to start running and i waited until everyone else left and asked him if there is anything else i could do in my free time besides running and he said skipping so i'll do that
I thanked him, I shook his hand and I said I'll definitely be back

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok so it was great, i loved it :D
the coach seemed nice he's pretty chill but can get very serious at the same time
there were only like 2 guys around my age and the rest was just kids lmao
my stamina is bad, the coach told me to start running and i waited until everyone else left and asked him if there is anything else i could do in my free time besides running and he said skipping so i'll do that
I thanked him, I shook his hand and I said I'll definitely be back

That's really great to hear man, knew you'd love it! Keep at it, everything will improve over time including stamina, pace yourself with it all, and enjoy the journey. Keen to hear your progress :)