Beginner, please give tips and advice

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Carry on then.

When you need a stick to walk before you're 30, don't come crying to me.

Hey, at least you'll get the parking spaces closest to the shops.
Lol always love it when guys ask for advice then dismiss it when you give it

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Probably mma, ufc and all that
Well I mean you don't even have a striking coach yet let alone a wrestling coach and a jiu jitsu coach or a strength and conditioning. Fighting in the ring is a different world to fighting in the streets. Just look at guys like kimbo slice.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did research on jeet kune do and boxing
it was mostly just watching videos and reading about it
Sorry to say this but watching videos isn't learning martial arts. If you want to be a professional or even a decent amateur you need a real coach

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ok so I talked to my parents, told them what I wanna be doing and they agreed to pay for the first month of mma classes at blackwell
right now i'm feeling kinda nervous and i'm thinking ''what if i won't be good enough''
damn i should be excited not nervous

Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
today I did 8 minutes of skipping , 45 minutes on the bag and im about to go ride the exercise bike for 10km
in the evenings I also do weightlifting, I have a 7.5kg dumbbell and i do
50 reps on shoulders, 40 reps on biceps and 40 reps on triceps
for abs i do leg raises, around 40 reps
anything I should add to my workout?

If it's just all round fitness and weighttraining I wouldn't neglect your back muscles. They play a big role in martial arts, so doing exercises for the lats and rhomboids/middle traps and lower back is important. If you only have 7.5kg dumbbells and nothing else, I'd incorporate DB Rows, DB Deadlifts, maybe even wide grip rows too. Exercises where you have to pull your shoulder blades back and down. Also just for balancing things out, working the pulling muscles can help out there. When you spend too much time doing punching and push exercises, your shoulders are going to round forward, shoulders and pecs can get too tight, posture can turn horrible etc, so here's where pulling exercises are valuable.

And also not to only work upper body but lower body too. Quads and hamstrings (deadlifts will cover hamstrings, DB Squats will target the quads more).

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh and absolutely 100% resting (having a rest day or a few) is beyond a shadow of a doubt important ;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to say this but watching videos isn't learning martial arts. If you want to be a professional or even a decent amateur you need a real coach

Absolutely. Watching videos of fights is useful for fighters but not for learning how to fight.

Even for people who have trained martial arts and want to get into competition need a coach. Fighters should never try to go it alone, they need a team. MMA is much more of a 'team' game than many imagine.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely. Watching videos of fights is useful for fighters but not for learning how to fight.

Even for people who have trained martial arts and want to get into competition need a coach. Fighters should never try to go it alone, they need a team. MMA is much more of a 'team' game than many imagine.

I agree watching vids is only a resource. Yes you can pick things up from them imo more a technical thing or possibly a different concept or idea but from the get go nope your more likely to be confused esp if you look at the more technical arts.

I would assume that any person that is gonna fight in a pro match would if available watch previous fights of the opponent as would the coaches etc to see if they can pinpoint any obvious weaknesses or conversely strengths. I guess a bit like doing the intel before you go into action.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you can pick things up from them imo more a technical thing or possibly a different concept or idea but from the get go nope your more likely to be confused esp if you look at the more technical arts.

It's also useful to watch the refs and see how they 'conduct' the fight, how the promotion likes to announce people so you can plan your entrance lol, and various other bits and pieces, these days judging does tend to be by people who know what they are doing and often you'll see the same judges at different fight nights so have an eye out for how they score. Judges do have preferences on how they like to see a fight going so it's useful to know.

I'd suggest watching a potential opponents fight videos before agreeing to fight though that's really your coach's job, you watch it after they've agreed the fight. As I said before watch fight videos critically, as if you were judging not as just a spectator, it does take the enjoyment out of it a bit but this is part of preparation. You may learn a move or two watching fight videos, but you actually have to know what you are doing (ie have a lot of training under your belt) to take advantage of watching techniques in fights, definitely not for beginners.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's also useful to watch the refs and see how they 'conduct' the fight, how the promotion likes to announce people so you can plan your entrance lol, and various other bits and pieces, these days judging does tend to be by people who know what they are doing and often you'll see the same judges at different fight nights so have an eye out for how they score. Judges do have preferences on how they like to see a fight going so it's useful to know.

I'd suggest watching a potential opponents fight videos before agreeing to fight though that's really your coach's job, you watch it after they've agreed the fight. As I said before watch fight videos critically, as if you were judging not as just a spectator, it does take the enjoyment out of it a bit but this is part of preparation. You may learn a move or two watching fight videos, but you actually have to know what you are doing (ie have a lot of training under your belt) to take advantage of watching techniques in fights, definitely not for beginners.

As has been said all the way there is more to being a fighter that just fighting

OP
Kaspow

Kaspow

Orange Belt
Reaction score
it's mostly boxing and a few kicks
hands still going down, gotta work on that
footwork is kinda weird but I feel like it's getting better since I started skipping

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
footwork is kinda weird but I feel like it's getting better since I started skipping
Look it's fair enough your working hard but without a coach you'll never be as good as you could. Self training is good if you've already got a base. Like I've been training for over 30 years if I decide to self train I have an idea of what to do as I've had the coaching but you need to get one if you want to fight. I mean if you just want to work out what your doing is fine

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I believe in an earlier post you mentioned you would like to compete in MMA. My question is: What does your ground game look like? I ask only because your foot work is so poor you will most likely be fighting from the ground more than your feet. Like others have said, I would seek out a coach and focus on the foot work.

Else get real good at wrestling or BJJ.

Latest Discussions