Beggining Weapon Fighting

xTNVx NirVana

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My post in the Kempo section isn't getting much attention, So I'll post it here:

I learn the Martial Arts at USSD, and I am a Blue-Green belt. I'm fairly young, but that doesn't mean I can't love Kempo!
But, I have a question. I saw a girl at my same rank, and she had a bow-staff. I asked Sensei if I could learn weapons, and he said, "If you do all your you Pinans (1, 2, 3) and Katas (1, 2) without messing up, I'll cosider teaching you weapons." So today at my private lesson, I did just that, and now he says if next lesson I know all my DMs well, he'll teach me weapons. So I'm very excited, but what are some things I should know about the bow staff? And is it a fun and interesting weapon to use? He offered to teach me the Katana or Twin Blades (Something like that, they look like Scimitars a bit). I chose Bow-Staff because I saw the other Blue-Green belt with it, and I assumed I should start off with it. So, If you can tell me some stuff about learning weapons for the first time, I would love that!

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My post in the Kempo section isn't getting much attention, So I'll post it here:

I learn the Martial Arts at USSD, and I am a Blue-Green belt. I'm fairly young, but that doesn't mean I can't love Kempo!
But, I have a question. I saw a girl at my same rank, and she had a bow-staff. I asked Sensei if I could learn weapons, and he said, "If you do all your you Pinans (1, 2, 3) and Katas (1, 2) without messing up, I'll cosider teaching you weapons." So today at my private lesson, I did just that, and now he says if next lesson I know all my DMs well, he'll teach me weapons. So I'm very excited, but what are some things I should know about the bow staff? And is it a fun and interesting weapon to use? He offered to teach me the Katana or Twin Blades (Something like that, they look like Scimitars a bit). I chose Bow-Staff because I saw the other Blue-Green belt with it, and I assumed I should start off with it. So, If you can tell me some stuff about learning weapons for the first time, I would love that!

If you really train with USSD, then why are you in American Kenpo on your other thread posts? They aren't the same thing. BTW, what about Pinan 4? What Dm's do you have? You should serioulsy leave it up to your instructor to tell you about the weapon you are learning...not a forum. That is disrespectful to your instructor.

OP
xTNVx NirVana

xTNVx NirVana

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you really train with USSD, then why are you in American Kenpo on your other thread posts? They aren't the same thing. BTW, what about Pinan 4? What Dm's do you have? You should serioulsy leave it up to your instructor to tell you about the weapon you are learning...not a forum. That is disrespectful to your instructor.
No need to bash me.
I was just asking about the Bow-Staff, just some general stuff about it.
To reply to you saying USSD isn't kempo, then why does Sensei always say things like "Kempo focuses on the hands"?
I'm just excited, is that too hard to comprehend?
And also, it just looks like you want to start a fight,

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No need to bash me.
I was just asking about the Bow-Staff, just some general stuff about it.
To reply to you saying USSD isn't kempo, then why does Sensei always say things like "Kempo focuses on the hands"?
I'm just excited, is that too hard to comprehend?
And also, it just looks like you want to start a fight,

No. you misread the post. you already said in a different thread that you don't study with ussd. your profile says you study american kenpo. ussd is shaolin kempo...two different styles. you may be excited, but you also need to be truthful, and it appears like you are lying on many fronts.

OP
xTNVx NirVana

xTNVx NirVana

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No. you misread the post. you already said in a different thread that you don't study with ussd. your profile says you study american kenpo. ussd is shaolin kempo...two different styles. you may be excited, but you also need to be truthful, and it appears like you are lying on many fronts.

Listen to the other guy. He knows better. And I don't know where I said I don't train with USSD. "it appears like you are lying on many fronts".

But really, I just wanted to learn some thing about the Bow-Staff.

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
xTNVx NirVana,
What rank is your instructor? How long has he been teaching? How long has he been teaching weapons?
These are questions I ask instructors now before I sign up with them.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Listen to the other guy. He knows better. And I don't know where I said I don't train with USSD. "it appears like you are lying on many fronts".

But really, I just wanted to learn some thing about the Bow-Staff.

xTNVx NirVana
user_online.gif
vbmenu_register("postmenu_690043", true);
Martial TalkWhite Belt
reputation_green.gif

Re: Hey all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gufbal1982
um, huh? what kind of rank is that? in all my years of shaolin kempo i have never heard of such a thing, even with ussd. Um, those named things are called "Kempo Punch Techniques" and it varies from instructor to instructor and school to school.

I don't do shaolin kempo, I do American Kempo...Also, is there a place online where I can find out how to do the DMs?

Pardon me...but, tell me this isn't your post. once again USSD doesn't teach AMERICAN KEMPO. personally, i have more than likely studied the shaolin kempo system longer than you have been alive. as a former instructor, I find it insulting that you came here, asking for DM's because you were testing for a "rank" that's inbetween blue and blue green, which has never existed in SKK, and now you are asking for someone to give you basics for the Bo-staff? Why not just look up websites online? Why not look up clips on youtube.com? You have an instructor for a reason...learn from him/her...not the internet.

OP
xTNVx NirVana

xTNVx NirVana

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My instructor is a Sixth Degree Black-Belt, but I don't know how long he's been teaching (But he owns our Dojo). He probably has been teaching weapons for as long as he has been teaching students.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Where is your instructor? The only 6th degree that teaches for USSD is Jack Turner unless they have promoted District managers...

OP
xTNVx NirVana

xTNVx NirVana

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, I think he might be 5th degree, but he's been invited to the 6th degree test.
I don't know his last name, but I know his first name is Ben.

OP
xTNVx NirVana

xTNVx NirVana

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yep.
How do you know him?
Is he well known?

And, that post is old. It's a long story, you will understand it if you know it.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note:

ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the conversation polite, respectful, and on-topic.

The original post was from a member asking questions about learning weapons for the first time:

So I'm very excited, but what are some things I should know about the bow staff? And is it a fun and interesting weapon to use? He offered to teach me the Katana or Twin Blades (Something like that, they look like Scimitars a bit). I chose Bow-Staff because I saw the other Blue-Green belt with it, and I assumed I should start off with it. So, If you can tell me some stuff about learning weapons for the first time, I would love that!

Please be respectful to everyone and please keep the focus of the discussion on answering the poster's questions about training with weapons.

Thank you

- Carol Kaur -
- MT Moderator -

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I personally think you should wait till your next lesson. You see, your instructor knows how to teach to you and can give you better ways to train than a forum because he knows YOU. We don't know you...any further comments on this I will keep to PM. sorry for disrupting the thread for something that should have been in a pm from the get go.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
This thread is giving me a headache, but just to clarify something.... it is a BO staff. A BOW is something that shoots arrows.

Lamont

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score

Glad you're excited about the next steps; don't let anyone kill it. Your journey is your journey, and if it's ussd or wherever and you like it, then keep training and learning.

The Bo Staff if a very good weapon to learn for many reasons. Many different styles of arts teach it (in their own way, of course). Techniques can be used with many, many improvised 'weapons' you might find close to hand in a real encounter, e.g., Hiking stick, broom or shovel handle, or even a stick laying on the ground.

Train hard, do your best, make mistakes, ask questions, and just don't quit (not to say you'll never find yourself in a position where you have to change schools or arts, because life can take us many surprising places).

Best of luck, :)
~kidswarrior

Latest Discussions