Bat Found in Teen's Bra!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Teenager finds baby bat in her bra

By Laura Clout
Last Updated: 1:47PM BST 08/07/2008
A teenager was stunned to find that a baby bat had been curled up inside her bra for five hours - as she was wearing it.

hawkins-bat-404_685734c.jpg

ADRIAN JUDD
Miss Hawkins said the bat looked 'very snug' inside her bra

Abbie Hawkins, a hotel receptionist, thought her mobile phone was ringing when she felt vibrations coming from her clothes.
But she later discovered the tiny creature tucked away in the padded pocket of her underwear.
As staff and colleagues crowded around, Miss Hawkins, 19, produced the frightened bat, which was the size of her hand.
Article continues

----------------------------
Ahem. As resident Bat Expert here on MT in an effort to prevent this from becoming an epidemic, I will need to start thoroughly searching bras everywhere for stowaway bats. Don't wait for vibrations. Trust me I'm a professional.

NO, I'm not taking any assistants right now. But I'll let you guys know.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
she was wearing it and did not notice something was inside it. HHHMMM

strange indeed

I'll save my other comments till later

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ahem. As resident Bat Expert here on MT in an effort to prevent this from becoming an epidemic, I will need to start thoroughly searching bras everywhere for stowaway bats. Don't wait for vibrations. Trust me I'm a professional.

NO, I'm not taking any assistants right now. But I'll let you guys know.

Such a caring, concerned individual...

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Such a caring, concerned individual...
Well understand it's for the bats sake that I'm willing to do this, they're fragile creatures and widely misunderstood... so they must be handled gently, carefully and s-l-o-w-l-y.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I bet she's real pleased that millions of people now know that she pads her bra... :lol:

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well understand it's for the bats sake that I'm willing to do this, they're fragile creatures and widely misunderstood... so they must be handled gently, carefully and s-l-o-w-l-y.

How long does the average bra-bat inspection take?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just want to know how you miss a fist-sized animal in your bra. :idunno:

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just want to know how you miss a fist-sized animal in your bra. :idunno:
I agree, Especially if it was as big as the rubber looking thing in the photo!!
Then again those are decent sized cups she is holding and if she was padding them up to that size maybe you wouldnt feel anything??

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree, Especially if it was as big as the rubber looking thing in the photo!!
Then again those are decent sized cups she is holding and if she was padding them up to that size maybe you wouldnt feel anything??
I sincerely doubt that the bat was a "baby" as stated in the article. Bats come in all sizes, from as small as a hummingbird to the size of a small cat (aka flying foxes). Little Brown Bats are about 1 oz in weight and probably smaller than the palm of a child's hand... so a youngster could conceivably be snug inside the "pocket" of the bra and the girl wouldn't notice until it moved.
The girl wasn't in any danger of being bitten either. Most bats are gentle and don't bite unless mishandled (like women when a guy is checking their bras for bats inside-- while still wearing them).

Besides what kind a gal keeps her cell phone inside her bra anyway?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone besides me find this whole 'episode' a little suspicious???? That damned 'bat' in her hand was a toy. This has got to be a gag.

Added in edit: let me strengthen this a little: I've been a member of Bat Conservation Int'l for years and have seen zillions of pictures of bats... and never once, never ever ever, not in their mags, not in David Attenborough or National Geographic specials, nowhere, have I ever seen a bat with red eyes. Never ever ever. This whole thing is a crock, I would love to bet... like, serious folding money on.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does anyone besides me find this whole 'episode' a little suspicious???? That damned 'bat' in her hand was a toy. This has got to be a gag.

Added in edit: let me strengthen this a little: I've been a member of Bat Conservation Int'l for years and have seen zillions of pictures of bats... and never once, never ever ever, not in their mags, not in David Attenborough or National Geographic specials, nowhere, have I ever seen a bat with red eyes. Never ever ever. This whole thing is a crock, I would love to bet... like, serious folding money on.

I see that the bat in her bra/hand is a fake yes, as she stated in the article that
The teenager's general manager freed the bat in the hotel garden.
so they put the rubber bat (which I have one like it hanging from my rear-view mirror) in her "bra" to illustrate the point.
I'm glad that you're a BCI member by the way.
But you've seen "zillions of pictures of bats" ?? hmm if anything sounds like a crock that sure does... :lol: How many zeros are there in a zillion? a Zillion has z*6 zeros where z = one zill so that's a LOT of pictures there Arnisador! (just kidding)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the shot is certainly posed with a prop. From my time as a speleologist I've seen bats aplenty and they dislike at least two things intensely:

1) Bright lights
2) Being touched by humans (tho' I did have the privelege of having one briefly sit on my shoulder once in a lovely little cave system under Joey Bamford's land (he of JCB fame)).

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see that the bat in her bra/hand is a fake yes, as she stated in the article that so they put the rubber bat (which I have one like it hanging from my rear-view mirror) in her "bra" to illustrate the point.
I'm glad that you're a BCI member by the way.
But you've seen "zillions of pictures of bats" ?? hmm if anything sounds like a crock that sure does... :lol: How many zeros are there in a zillion? a Zillion has z*6 zeros where z = one zill so that's a LOT of pictures there Arnisador! (just kidding)

Unlike actual numbers, a zillion contains an implicit comparison: if you've seen zillions of cats, that's a lot of cats, but if you've seen zillions of Mesopotamian ziggurats, twenty will do. OK, so now...

BCI's mag usually has 5-10 per issue... over the course of the 10 years or so I've been a member, and given the number of picture of bats you normally see on TV, in the newspapers and newsmagazines, etc..... yes, that computes out to zillions! :D

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BCI's mag usually has 5-10 per issue... over the course of the 10 years or so I've been a member, and given the number of picture of bats you normally see on TV, in the newspapers and newsmagazines, etc..... yes, that computes out to zillions! :D
I have this strange image in my head of bat layouts a la Penthouse or Hustler... Ok, I just creeped myself out... :barf:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have this strange image in my head of bat layouts a la Penthouse or Hustler... Ok, I just creeped myself out... :barf:

Well, it's true—not one single bat in any of those BCI 'shoots' was wearing clothes... so they've got that much in common with those other photo spreads you mentioned... :lol:

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Unlike actual numbers, a zillion contains an implicit comparison: if you've seen zillions of cats, that's a lot of cats, but if you've seen zillions of Mesopotamian ziggurats, twenty will do. OK, so now...

You should get down to Carlsbad Caverns National Park there you'll see a GAZILLION bats... mexican freetails... :D