Bat attack

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
http://youtu.be/TnPMKou2Eyo

This a video where one guy jumps in with a bat during a melee. As far as I can tell, it looks like no one got seriously hurt.
I think the reason why is that first of all the guy probably did not want to hurt anybody. Also he probably had
no idea how to properly use a bat.

Bats are dangerous but it shows a person needs the know how and will to use them.

GetOntheGoodFoot

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Why even grab a bat its a cowardly way to attack someone, he was holding it like he was a big man. Not cool to see the American flag being waved around after that embarrassing display.:s471::ea18::s425:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This a video where one guy jumps in with a bat during a melee. As far as I can tell, it looks like no one got seriously hurt.
I think the reason why is that first of all the guy probably did not want to hurt anybody.
That's it right there. He didn't really want to hurt anyone.

Also he probably had no idea how to properly use a bat.

Bats are dangerous but it shows a person needs the know how and will to use them.
Nah. Using a club to just bash is stupid easy and takes effectively no training at all. Just swing it hard at anything/anyone that gets in the way. Humans have been doing it since the beginning of humans.

This guy is check-swinging. You can tell. Watch his body mechanics, where his arms are in relation to his hips, and how he moves it fast but it decelerates abruptly just before it hits. There were probably some bruises, maybe even a cracked rib from the one guy he swung at the torso. But he wasn't swinging full out.

In summation, you don't need any special training to go Cave Man with a bat. It lacks finesse and a person trained in countering it would have a pretty good shot, but it's powerful and effective.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why even grab a bat
Because bats are an effective and powerful tool with a high intimidation factor. Same reason as any other time someone grabbed a bat for beating on someone else.

its a cowardly way to attack someone
Nah. It's an effective way to attack someone. That's why man invented weapons. "Fair fights" are for duels.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because bats are an effective and powerful tool with a high intimidation factor. Same reason as any other time someone grabbed a bat for beating on someone else.

Nah. It's an effective way to attack someone. That's why man invented weapons. "Fair fights" are for duels.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score

That's it exactly. If you find yourself in a fight, then all of your other self-defense options have failed and someone is trying to kill you. That is NOT the time to ever think about "fair". Fair is for games with rules, not fighting.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
"fair fight" doesn't exist.

If ever confronted, I will use any and all tools available (bat, pool cue, chair, rock, brick, knife, fork, etc.). In addition, no targets are off limits. Hair, junk, eyes, throat, etc. If it exculates to a level of physical conflict it is them or me.....I will survive or at least do everything in my power to give me the advantage and go down swinging.

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score

This guy is check-swinging. You can tell. Watch his body mechanics, where his arms are in relation to his hips, and how he moves it fast but it decelerates abruptly just before it hits. There were probably some bruises, maybe even a cracked rib from the one guy he swung at the torso. But he wasn't swinging full out.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

I never heard of the term check swinging before. Where does that term come from?

Can't argue with that.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I never heard of the term check swinging before. Where does that term come from?
From Baseball, of course. :)

The term refers to when a Batter begins a swing but then stops before actually completing it. There's some sort of magic 45 degree plane he must cross. It's the difference between just pumping the bat/arm and actually swinging and making a Strike.

In this context I used it just a bit loosely, meaning that he stops the swing before it actually builds up enough momentum to do significant damage by deliberately pulling it back at the last instant, sort of the way a Baseball Batter must "check" his swing by deliberately pulling it back or not completing it at the last instant.

Make sense?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't have sound on my computer at the moment so I might be missing something, but it looks like once the guy has the bat there is a crowd of people moving up on him trying to get him to calm down. I've seen this kind of thing before and usually it just makes the guy feel more cornered and more likely to lash out at the first unlucky person to step into his space.

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
From Baseball, of course. :)

Ohhhh,

The term refers to when a Batter begins a swing but then stops before actually completing it. There's some sort of magic 45 degree plane he must cross. It's the difference between just pumping the bat/arm and actually swinging and making a Strike.

In this context I used it just a bit loosely, meaning that he stops the swing before it actually builds up enough momentum to do significant damage by deliberately pulling it back at the last instant, sort of the way a Baseball Batter must "check" his swing by deliberately pulling it back or not completing it at the last instant.

Make sense?

Yup. He does not want to hurt anyone but he wants everyone to know he means business.
Would this be an example of a threat display?

I think he would have been more effective using it like a police baton and held both ends and pushed people away with it.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think he would have been more effective using it like a police baton and held both ends and pushed people away with it.
That is certainly a viable option. I call it the "Bayonet" attack when I teach it. But given the construction of a ball bat, I think that swinging it like a club is the most effective attack with it.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk