Basics and where did the go

tinker1

Green Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I think competition under the WTF Rules is harder than self defense.

Apples and oranges.

I feel Olympic style sparring is more cardio demanding due the the continuous sparring. It requires more of the aerobic energy system (in my opinion) than does point sparring.

Point sparring is more demanding of the anaerobic energy system. More like a series of quick sprints (intervals) than a long distance run.

Both Olympic and point demand energy from both aerobic and anaerobic systems. Neither is exclusive. The difference is in percentages.

I'm not really sure how you are defining "harder" though. If you meant harder in terms of conditioning, then I've answered your point. On the other hand, if you meant harder in terms of difficulty... That's a tough one, because what is difficult for one person is easier for another.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
On the other hand, if you meant harder in terms of difficulty... That's a tough one, because
what is difficult for one person is easier for another.

I was about to write something similar. I think they are different skills with a lot of overlap, yet in the end they are still different. Let's use math and writing as an analogy. Smart, educated people tend to know and understand both, but they're still different skills. There is some overlap where learning an aspect of one might help you with the other, but they're still different skills.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I feel Olympic style sparring is more cardio demanding due the the continuous sparring. It requires more of the aerobic energy system (in my opinion) than does point sparring. Point sparring is more demanding of the anaerobic energy system. More like a series of quick sprints (intervals) than a long distance run.

I wasn't comparing Competition under the WTF Rules with Competition under open point rules. I was comparing competition under the WTF Rules with self defense.

tinker1

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wasn't comparing Competition under the WTF Rules with Competition under open point rules. I was comparing competition under the WTF Rules with self defense.

Ah. My misunderstanding. This thread has so many twists and turns... I must have spun out on one of the curves.

tinker1

Green Belt
Reaction score

WTF competition with... what? learning self defense? or actually defending your self on the street?

Man, I'm confused.

These 2 types of training go hand in hand in my book.. both parts of a whole. Separately, competition and learning self defense are like comparing an apple and a lump of wood.

But if you're comparing competition and defending yourself in a real situation - you have one where you are following rules, and one where you're not... one where if you loose it's at worst a bad day or at best a learning experience, and one where if you loose you're dead or badly injured. One in which a punch to the face is against the rules, and the other where getting punched in the face is the most likely scenario.

So I'm not getting the comparison thing I guess.

As far as training goes, the 2 go hand in hand... competition builds strength, enhances thinking on your feet, inner strength and character, self defense training (coupled with the rest of your martial art training) will save your *** if you get into a bad situation.

Yes, some of what you do in competition can work in a self defense situation. A lot of martial art training that is not dedicated to self defense training can be used to protect yourself. But competition stuff is just a subset of what is available for defending yourself - so sticking to those techniques seems kind of limiting.

BUT. Always a caveat. If those competition techniques are what you are most comfortable with, and are what you have practiced the most.. that those techniques are what you are going to automatically do in a self defense situation. And they probably will serve you well.

So equating what WTF competition does and allows to self defense... I guess... eh.. if it works for you, great! Go for it.