Basics not so basic?

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
In the discussion of basics and 'where did they go', everyone agrees on their importance and works on them. I'm looking for more detail on what you see. Basic clearly doesn't mean easy.

What do you see as most neglected? What basic(s) are tougher to master and aren't learned correctly? What basic(s) create the biggest problems when learned poorly?

Thanks,
Carl

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To do them correctly consistently, we need to them repeatedly and often. Learning this way is not easy. Folks get bored easily. As our society gets faster and faster, people have less patience. Peiple don't want to take the time it takes do say, learn stances, when they can watch a youtube video and try to do a 720 spinning kick.

OP
S

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes Iceman, I agree. My comment in the other thread was along those lines. But practice and experience are factors, as the movement of 7th, 4th and 1st geups is noticeably different, and we accept those differences in what earns promotion at testing.

But I wonder if there's more. What basics do you see the red belts not understanding well enough? They're past the point of boredom being an excuse. Is there a pattern or is it more individual where they are weak? For example, two things I see in higher color belts is that 1) their stances are often too high (they don't grasp the power of rooting in the deeper stance), and 2) their heads and/or spines are often crooked (affecting hip mobility, balance and turning...and thus power).

What do you see?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will tell you what I see that just pisses me off at tournaments: that would be proper footwork and hand placement thoughout poomsae. I hate it when I see walking stance like a very small step and long stance in the same foremat as a walking stance. I cannot stand to see a punch that is suppose to be at the middle of the body being thrown at the shoulders or a head shot going to the solarplex. I hate seeing Tae Guek one being done in a single square and ended up three feet from where they started. I believe we need to get on the same plain that TKD is on with the KKW on proper stances and same goes for those ITF folks as well. Stances and punches are so neglited in my opinion it is a joke at most tournaments.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In the discussion of basics and 'where did they go', everyone agrees on their importance and works on them. I'm looking for more detail on what you see. Basic clearly doesn't mean easy.

What do you see as most neglected? What basic(s) are tougher to master and aren't learned correctly? What basic(s) create the biggest problems when learned poorly?

Thanks,
Carl

I would have to agree that proper stances is the most common error I see in forms (my own stances included) :) I still find myself having to really work on my stances, for instance there are a couple of my forms that call for a strike to be done in a back stance and I can't get out of the habit of doing it from a middle stance. It's almost like I automatically gravitate towards that stance in those forms and I really have to concentrate on my technique to make sure that I get the stances correct.
I think that any basic technique when learned poorly will create big problems down the road be it stances, chambering, rechambering, etc...

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
The worst things that I see everyclass that really drives me nuts it's seen the kids not clenching their fist well and executing poor punces please ad the following:

- executing wimpy and ugly blocks.
- executing terrible stances that leads to lack of balance.
- executing techs without effort,comitment and in a lazzy way.
- lack of martiality.

The past examinination was horrible abotu poomsae and almost every kid that do board breacking must do it more then three times because they can not break the pine boards at once and they were doing basic kicks like side kicks.

The only person who broke his boards clean and right was me, and thats because I put all my will and do the tech strong,fast and quick as it must be.

The kids simply don't put effort in what they are doing, they don't take tkd as is must be, they do it because it looks cool and because they want to wear a balck belt but they not push their limits to perfect their techs.

In one point, we as a sambonims or intsrcutors are too blame to not ask firmly the best to our students.

In my dojang everybody past the tests, myself will not let pass the students to the next level till they show improvement and they deserve it.

Manny

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Incorrect weapon formation:

front kick foot position

proper alignment of wrist for punches/hand strikes and blocks

thumb hanging out on basic fist, basic knifehand

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the discussion of basics and 'where did they go', everyone agrees on their importance and works on them. I'm looking for more detail on what you see. Basic clearly doesn't mean easy. What do you see as most neglected? What basic(s) are tougher to master and aren't learned correctly? What basic(s) create the biggest problems when learned poorly?

I think the problem with basics is that they change. Meaning that the way I learned techniques as a white belt is different from how I understand them today. So there is a constant revision process that needs to be worked through. I think that when I was a white belt, we did more basics because that is all we had back then. And to tell you the truth, a lot of times it consisted of grinding in bad habits that needed to be unlearned later.

Phenix_Rider

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The problem with basics isn't the basics. It's that kids get bored, and teachers either don't want to deal with it, or take for granted that people can do the same things they can after training for years. In many cases, longer than their primary student base (read: income) has been alive. In general, there is an unwillingness to fail a student, because they might turn away. Too much worry about market share and not enough about quality of training.

Makes me long for the days of family styles that nobody else got to learn. I may restart that tradition when I have kids...

Latest Discussions