Bare-Knuckle Boxing/Wing Chun Article

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In our system we believe that the style was founded by the buddhist nun Ng Mei in the early 1700's.
... in my opinion there are just to many things that fit with this style being developed by a female.

I'm sorry, but from my perspective, there are too many historical gaps and contradictions to take the story of Ng Mui and Yim Wing Chun literally. But don't take it personally. I feel the same way about the Bible. And, like biblical parables, the story of Ng Mui and Yim Wing Chun certainly contains the essential truths of our Wing Chun/Tsun heritage. Just as a biblical parable teaches us how we should live, so these "Wing Chun parables" teach us how we should approach our kung fu. We may never be able to prove that the system was invented by women...but it should have been!

naneek

Green Belt
Reaction score
the wing chun system certainly seems to fit those of a more slight stature such as women, i really cant see a significant influence from bare knuckle at all, it puzzles me that anyone does. incidently my grandfather, father and several uncles were bare knucklers in ireland and i learned a little bit too.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The thing is, people see aspects of their martial arts in other styles, purely because the human body can only do certain movements

A good punch is a good punch but there are only a couple of ways of doing a good punch. So of course you are going to see things in other styles that are close to yours

Sometimes arts are influenced by others or they may have descended from others, but at the end of the day, if I train and discover something that works, I'll use it. Whether I discovered it on my own or by learning it from someone else

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the similarity lies with the straight on stance of Bare knuckle boxing and WC. Shoulders square with hips. My dad taught me some boxing when I was a kid, he used to box in the Navy, and he taught me to "cover" and punch. And something similar to pac and punch. A more agressive way to box than how I've seen other boxers fight now.

They focus more on defense it seems now in the ring. (I've seen pro boxers fight and "block" sometimes too.) But, my dad had me block and punch at the sametime more often. Because I'm a "girl" and that's what we truely NEED to do when sparring or fighting anyone! So, he'd teach his son different than how he taught me.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...My dad taught me some boxing when I was a kid, he used to box in the Navy, and he taught me to "cover" and punch. And something similar to pac and punch. A more agressive way to box than how I've seen other boxers fight now.

That is sooo cool. My 12 year-old daughter has zero interest in learning anything like that from me! She thinks it's totally stupid. Yet she has a couple of girl friends that take TKD and she's OK with that. Go figure.

Latest Discussions