Barcode Tattoos?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What's the deal with these? Is there some symbolism I'm missing? I have never heard of anyone getting a barcode tattoo and the other night we were hanging out with the neighbors and one of them jokingly said that I needed a barcode tattoo on my neck, or something to that effect.

So I went online and found out it's a quite common thing as of late, but I have no idea why, or what prompted the comment by the neighbor. Like, was that an insult? lol (note, we're all friends and joke around pretty heavily...but I didn't get the joke..heh)

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
on the show dark angel, starring Jessica Alba, they had barcode tattoos

I don't think that's where the popularity comes from. It's just a statement that in this day and age, more and more we are just becoming a number, a demographic, whatever you want to call it.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've seen them done with birthdates, SSNs... If the tattoo artist has sharp enough lines, they can even be scanned.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
on the show dark angel, starring Jessica Alba, they had barcode tattoos

If I remember correctly, the machines gave the humans barcode tattoos in "The Terminator".

I've seen them done with birthdates, SSNs... If the tattoo artist has sharp enough lines, they can even be scanned.

Now why would someone want their SSN tattooed? "Hello...steal my identity, please!" :p

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
While I was in the Marines a lot of guys got their dog tag info tatooed on their rib cage. If you ever see mutilation of a human body via grenade then you will understand.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been waiting for the goverment to tell us they want us barcoded or to have a trackable chip inserted

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have been waiting for the goverment to tell us they want us barcoded or to have a trackable chip inserted

Wait, what was that movie... the name is on the tip of my tongue... You know, the movie that everyone has to have perfect genetics, live in a very orderly society, and there is this guy that looked perfect, but had a hidden blood disorder of some type and wore contacts...

Does this ring a bell, anyone?

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Intersting stuff. I know it's getting to be a fairly common tattoo design and the place of preference is the neck. I just can't figure out what the joke, or implication, was when the neighbor told me I needed one....:shrug:

Hmmmmm.....

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Intersting stuff. I know it's getting to be a fairly common tattoo design and the place of preference is the neck. I just can't figure out what the joke, or implication, was when the neighbor told me I needed one....:shrug:

Hmmmmm.....

I don't know the inside joke, Jade, but the barcode has been labeled among some religious people as being the prophecy of the bible (revelations) pertaining to the Devil, and the number of the beast (666). :angry:

Rev 13:16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
Rev 13:17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
Rev 13:18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

Since the barcode starts and ends with the two lines that the computer reads as the number 6, and is divided in the center with two lines which is read as 6, many interpet this as 666, the mark of the beast, by which we can not buy or sell without it.

Last Fearner

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know the inside joke, Jade, but the barcode has been labeled among some religious people as being the prophecy of the bible (revelations) pertaining to the Devil, and the number of the beast (666). :angry:

Rev 13:16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
Rev 13:17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
Rev 13:18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

Since the barcode starts and ends with the two lines that the computer reads as the number 6, and is divided in the center with two lines which is read as 6, many interpet this as 666, the mark of the beast, by which we can not buy or sell without it.

Last Fearner

Ok...that is freaky. I know theology and the Bible well, and know about the "mark of the beast", never knew that information about the barcode though. Weird.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
But also keep in mind that people applied the 666 concept to social security numbers, the tracker chips, and years back people vehemently compared the driver's license number to 666.

Now, with that said, I am a devout Christian and believe that the barcode could be the marker mentioned in the Bible.

But, on the other hand, many will pull out theories to apply it to other things.

AoG

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Last Fearner

While that may be so, the show "Dark Angel" definitely popularized it as a tattoo. Anyone who followed that show knows the reference well - it was a MAJOR feature of the series and Jessica Alba, who wore one, is now a VERY popular actress. As Freud once said, "... sometimes a cigar is .... just a cigar".

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While that may be so, the show "Dark Angel" definitely popularized it as a tattoo. Anyone who followed that show knows the reference well - it was a MAJOR feature of the series and Jessica Alba, who wore one, is now a VERY popular actress. As Freud once said, "... sometimes a cigar is .... just a cigar".

I've never seen the show. What is the significance of the tattoo then?

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've never seen the show. What is the significance of the tattoo then?
On the show, Alba and others played genetically engineered "super soldiers." They each had a barcode serial number tattooed on the back of their neck.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On the show, Alba and others played genetically engineered "super soldiers." They each had a barcode serial number tattooed on the back of their neck.

Ok. Thanks. :)

Latest Discussions