Bamboo

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm thinking of planting some bamboo along the creek bank at the back of our property. We already have a large weeping willow there but are experiencing a good bit of erossion everywhere that the tree isn't rooted. I love the sound of the wind in the willow and have always enjoyed the sound of wind in bamboo. The question is which species grows best in my area? I'm in a solid zone 7. Looking for a couple of varieties so that I can get some thinner stalks and some of the larger, thicker shoots as well. Thanks in advance.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I've noted about people planting bamboo...

Be very prepared for it to take over an area and spread. It seems to thrive pretty well, anywhere.

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, it's very aggressive. I have a neighbor who has a particular variety (rather thin poles) that completely took over a section of his yard. He's not much on yard work, though, and Erica and I love working in the yard. I expect to do plenty of culling as they begin to come up.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't do it.

You might as well start a Kudzu planting club in Georgia. It would make you just as popular. It will come to the same thing.

Bamboo is just about the most aggressive spreading thing around once it gets started. It grows very quickly and spreads rapidly via roots.

It will choke out all native species and not stop.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it's very aggressive. I have a neighbor who has a particular variety (rather thin poles) that completely took over a section of his yard. He's not much on yard work, though, and Erica and I love working in the yard. I expect to do plenty of culling as they begin to come up.
But some species of bamboo grow fast enough that you can WATCH it grow, or damn near...

Personally, from what I know, about the only way I'd plant bamboo is if I had an appropriate and sufficient physical barrier to keep it contained. I don't know how deep you'd have to go...

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don't do it.

You might as well start a Kudzu planting club in Georgia. It would make you just as popular. It will come to the same thing.

Bamboo is just about the most aggressive spreading thing around once it gets started. It grows very quickly and spreads rapidly via roots.

Awesome!

I'd like to plant some in a big pot.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, from what I know, about the only way I'd plant bamboo is if I had an appropriate and sufficient physical barrier to keep it contained. I don't know how deep you'd have to go...

The local gardening shop says "At least six feet deep and six inches thick."

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't do it.

That's just the thing. Where I'm thinking of planting it there aren't any native species other than weeds and brambles. We lost about 3 inches of creek bank last year to erosion. The only thing along that creek that doesn't poke you or look like crap is the willow tree. Is there a species that spread less aggressively than others? I've considered planting some ground cover there but the weeds along the creekbank would choke them out before they had a chance to take root very well.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tellner's quite right about the aggressive spreading of bamboo. Plant it unfettered and it's likely your brooks bank will turn into a bamboo 'swamp' rather than be more robustly erosion resistant.

It's a lot more work but I would suggest protecting the banks by lining them with stone (a la a dry-stone wall (do you have such archaic constructions in America?)) and turfing the border - close rooted grass is very effective at consilidating earth and making it resist being washed away.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Talk to your County Agricultural Extension Agent. These guys are there for a reason, to transfer useful knowledge from the government and universities to the public. If they don't know the answer they will put you in touch with someone who will be thrilled at the chance to talk about the best plants for erosion control. He or she may even be able to get you some seeds or seedlings for free if it's covered under a Federal or State program.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
More than likely, they will recommend different indigenous plants that can grow well in your exact climate, control erosion, AND help with maintaining the local ecological balance of species.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
It's a lot more work but I would suggest protecting the banks by lining them with stone (a la a dry-stone wall (do you have such archaic constructions in America?)) and turfing the border - close rooted grass is very effective at consilidating earth and making it resist being washed away.

While done, it is generally frowned upon because it just transfers the issue downstream a bit. Riprap (common term) allows a smooth surface for water to accelerate against and increase its erosion potential against the next unprotected surface it hits. It also tends to decrease fish habitat and is pretty expensive.

Lamont

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think I explained it very clearly, Blindside - what I was speaking of was protecting the bank by lining it, to bed level, with rough, unmortared, stone. This actually creates turbulance and drag in the water flow at the point of contact, unlike concrete or smooth stone. A negative effect that can occur is channel scouring, whereby the 'denied' flow of water deepens rather than widens the channel.

If that approach does not find favour, then planting a reed bed might work just as well - tho' there are negatives with this approach too.

Essentially, there is not perfect answer and everything is a tradeoff either for yourself or for your 'neighbour'.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
One thing you can do if you decide to go the bamboo route; dig a trench about 18"-2' deep angling away from the area, then use the ready-mix concrete (post hole concrete) and fill it. The roots of some of the greens only usually go 3-4 inches deep, unless they hit an obstacle. So you make the obstacle angle up away, and the roots will climb it instead of going under or through (deflection). Then simply cut the roots once a year that try to go over it.

I've done that in my backyard for a few years and successfully contained a few bamboo groves. They won't grow IN water, so the stream will form a natural barrier on that side. They are commonly used for just this exact purpose btw.

For tons of info:
http://bambooworld.com

My local one:
http://www.bamboogarden.com/

I'd email them with your issue and you'll probably get heaps of info back.
A nice Moso would be awesome btw, the sound of those in the wind is amazing, and extremely calming.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:idea:

That's a good bit of lateral thinking there, Dave.

I was under the misconception that 'damming' bamboo didn't work but it just goes to show you should never treat anything you think you know as concrete (yeah, building materials pun attack :D).

Thanks for the links, I'll investigate those as the missus is wanting a bamboo or two in the garden and I want to make sure we choose 'wisely' :tup:.

Latest Discussions