Bad School

mjustus

White Belt
Reaction score
So I work for one of these McDojo's and while I don't agree with more than half of their methods and so on, I work there because it pays the bills and I love students. I came from another school on the other side of the country and that school (of course) I agree with much more. I'm sure that has something to do with me going there from the time I was 8 until age 19. But there tests were tests. Not ceremonies and there weren't 7 year old black belts running around. I would like some advice on whether working here is like supporting this type of school and if on principal alone I should quit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with a Mcdojo as long as you except it for what it is. You don't go to a McDonalds for great food. You don't go to a Mcdojo for top notch martial arts training. If as a customer all you want to do is a hobby and you enjoy it who cares. If as an employee you like working there keep working there. Jobs are hard to come by now days anyway

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bearing in mind that I know nothing about you or the school, I will say that I consider McDojos to be fundamentally dishonest. You don't expect fine food at McDonalds, but you know up front that you're getting junk. The same is not true of McDojos, which give the impression that you're actually learning something worthwhile.
If I thought I was working at a McDojo, I would quit as a matter of personal integrity, but that's me. You have to do what's right for you.

OP
mjustus

mjustus

White Belt
Reaction score
That's exactly why I want to quit. But I love tkd and don't know of any good schools in the area. I have to think about my family as well who depend in my checks. Its really a tough spot

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, there are other means to earn a living.

You can teach the best you can, lead by example in the mean time.
But I see your dilemma. If it were just you to be reduced to Ramen for the sake of integrity, no problem. But once other people are affected, it becomes a different situation.

Good luck.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you in a position to make suggestions on changes to the material and how it's taught? Or I should say how receptive is the head instructor to employees approaching him with potential changes?

OP
mjustus

mjustus

White Belt
Reaction score
They constantly tell us to follow what the kukkiwon does yet they do tang soo do forms, advance everyone every two months (as long as they pay) etc. We have multiple locations yet none of the schools do the same thing. Everyone teaches different ways of doing things. It sucks

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are dissatisfied with your current school and how it teaches material/runs its business you might want to consider starting up your own school. If you feel more in tune with the school where you began your training you might want to contact your old instructor and ask them for advice or even if they will act as a mentor, come in and test your students periodically, run seminars, etc. I know you said they are located far away from your current location but the effort may be worthwhile. My own instructors live in a different state but I periodically go see them for training.

Pax,

Chris

OP
mjustus

mjustus

White Belt
Reaction score
I would but my original school is located on the opposite side of the country. I want to open up a school. Its a big dream of mine. Honestly though, with a family I don't have the money to be able to start one up. Does anyone know how one would even begin that process?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would but my original school is located on the opposite side of the country. I want to open up a school. Its a big dream of mine. Honestly though, with a family I don't have the money to be able to start one up. Does anyone know how one would even begin that process?

You might want to canvas local Park Districts, Community Centers (YMCA JCC) and see whether or not they have an MA program. If not, solicit them for one. Be prepared with a sample curriculum.

OP
mjustus

mjustus

White Belt
Reaction score
Sweet. Thank you

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting post, Am I work for a McDojang? mmmm dificult answer, my actual master runs test/examination every two months too and all pass the eaxman no matter good tech or bad tech, yes we are plagued with kids and teens and some moms, however my sambonim is a very respectable man and also a tkd man being one of the top sambonims in my coutry and one of the few interational certified refree/judge here in Mexico. We adhre to the kukiwon/wtf criteria and the dojang is a sport one oriented. Some times I feel this is a McDojang. I am one of the seniors instructors in charge of the men/women in the dojang and the way I teach TKD is diferent to my sambonims, I focus in self defense, one steps, poomsae and little WTF style sparring, I tecah what some one's will call traditional TKD. Am I happu with the policy inside the dojang? nota al all buts as you mentioned I love TKD and love teaching and I have earned my spot in this dojang.

I do not do TKF for living as you do, I run a familiy bussiness and my scape valve is TKD I don't charge for TKD clases cause it's my way of contributing with the dojang.

Do I feel sad sometimes? yes because I think TKD is loosing it's esence (martial art) and become more a place where people train for fit or to do something else, not just martial arts per se, but, waht can I do? Open my own dojang? I can not, I don't have the money to invest and my own job does not allow me to take care of a dojang.

Some times like you do I just want to quit dojang and do some other things like learn another martial art but is not as easy because of my job.

Manny

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

If you want to start a commercial school, the first step would probably be talking to the Small Business Administration. They have programs to help people get business loans, and can probably give you some legal advice. You also would need to research the area you're at, what the competition is (what they offer, how much they charge, etc), come up with a business plan, and talk to a lawyer.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's exactly why I want to quit. But I love tkd and don't know of any good schools in the area. I have to think about my family as well who depend in my checks. Its really a tough spot

Have you explored whether or not there are other schools in your area that might want a full time paid instructor so the owner could get more family time, or just expand his business? I don't know if you are in a large population area or more urban or rural, so that might not be an option.

OP
mjustus

mjustus

White Belt
Reaction score
Have you explored whether or not there are other schools in your area that might want a full time paid instructor so the owner could get more family time, or just expand his business? I don't know if you are in a large population area or more urban or rural, so that might not be an option.

I live in a pretty populated area. Just outside of DC so I am sure there are other schools. I need to look more. Another thing however is how loyal I am. Even though I don't really like the company I do love the students i teach and the people I work with. I just need to take a long hard think and figure out what is most important to me.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in a pretty populated area. Just outside of DC so I am sure there are other schools. I need to look more. Another thing however is how loyal I am. Even though I don't really like the company I do love the students i teach and the people I work with. I just need to take a long hard think and figure out what is most important to me.

In the NoVA area, there are tons of TKD schools. There are a few major chains (Mt. Kim, Jhoon Rhee) that have a lot of the business, but there are also lots of small or stand alone places. I'd encourage you to look around at several of them, and find one that's a better fit, and that might help you start your own school down the road.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As easy as it is for everyone to ask you to just solicit another school for your services, many schools do not just hire off the street. Plus you run the risk of the other school calling your current employer asking why you are knocking on their door. What are you going to tell the other school when they ask you why you are leaving the current situation? Telling them "I disagree with their teaching methods." is not going to score points. Their first thoughts will most likely be who are you to judge? Next have you sat down with the owner and discussed your outlook on things? Finally, you said it yourself, your family depends on this paycheck. So until you are ready venture off on your own, AND as long as you are not making promises to people you know the school cannot deliver, then by all means keep working. The TKD community is a small one so be cautious in your decision making on this one. Good luck in which ever path you choose.

Latest Discussions