Bad school(s) disrespect student of teacher

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tellner, I can't rep you at the moment, but I almost 100% agree with you. And in this context, I definitely agree.

I have a major problem with a martial arts instructor in the US who expects students to bow and scrape anywhere outside the training hall. (If you choose to train where that's expected inside the training hall -- that's your choice.) I'm not countenancing being rude or disrespectful... but I'm not going to bow, salute, and address a guy in the street in clipped, mispronounced (and often misused) Japanese, either.

The term "sensei" simply means "one who went before" or someone who's been there and can guide you. It's not a magical term, it's not even a title like reverend that reflects an entire lifestyle. An English teacher can be called sensei (and generally is)! And most Japanese, as I understand things would consider you a bit full of yourself if you called yourself "Me sensei." (We'll ignore the fact that it shouldn't be Sensei Me in proper construction...)

Getting a black belt/sash or equivalent doesn't endow wisdom or maturity on you. It reflects the attainment of a certain level of skill, and completion of the requisite tasks in the eyes of the organization or person that granted it. Jerks and *******s can get black belts... and remain jerks and *******s. Outright criminals can get black belts... Hell, even lawyers can get black belts! ;) The belt doesn't change who you are. And the folks described in the original post on this thread? They apparently were immature jerks before they got a black belt.

OP
Dao

Dao

Green Belt
Reaction score
I learned later on when I joined another school that the grandmaster no longer associated with that school. I have no idea why. The only reason I found because the teacher at that school was trying to contact the grandmaster of the other school, hence wanted association with them. But far as I know that didn't happen.

The black belt threatening to beat up a student wasn't that good at sparring I sparred with him quite a bit. Sounds like he has a big mouth, but that's that. The female black belt never scared me anyways, she was very skinny. She couldn't do much to me if she wanted to. Far as I remember that's the only two black belt besides the owner of the school (teacher).

I guess it was a mess up school. Anyways I don't mention names of names of the school.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well,

I can see from the consensus of others that I am not alone in thinking. However, in Moo Sul Kwan we don't let tough guys promote to begin with. For someone to be an upper ranking belt much less a black belt and have conduct such as that is ridiculous.

I have said it before and I will say it again, "I have kicked people out of class and people have been told to leave because of bad conduct."

Threatening is not an option, just my .02.