Back to the Vaseline...

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I just found this bit on Yahoo!'s MMA page.

Penn camp files complaint against St. Pierre

By Tom Hamlin/MMAWeekly.com 8 hours, 23 minutes ago

After a month of telegraphing their intentions, B.J. Penn and his representatives have filed a formal complaint against UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre.

The 20-page document, filed on Monday with the Nevada State Athletic Commission, requests sanctions against St. Pierre, his cornermen, and other unknown licensees of the commission, and requests a formal hearing into the matter.

The complaint, drafted by Penn legal representative Raffi A. Nahabedian, of the Rosenfeld law firm in Las Vegas, Nevada, alleges that St. Pierre and his camp knowingly used illegal greasing agents to affect the outcome of his fight with Penn at UFC 94 on Jan. 31 in Las Vegas.

Penn succumbed to St. Pierre’s furious ground-and-pound attack 20 minutes after their encounter began, with Penn’s cornermen throwing in the towel between the fourth and fifth rounds.

Controversy erupted inside the cage between the first and second rounds when the NSAC was alerted to the inappropriate use of Vaseline by St. Pierre cornerman Phil Nurse. Officials wiped the welterweight champion down with a towel between rounds and monitored the corner closely until the bout’s halt.

The document cites unnamed mixed martial arts fighters who complained about St. Pierre’s use of greasing agents as evidence of his culpability.
“It is Penn’s belief… that the aforementioned strategies were intentional and were orchestrated by Pierre as a means to unfairly and illegally defeat Penn in a regulated and sanctioned championship bout that prohibits the aforementioned conduct and that such calculated actions by Pierre were implemented as a means to prevent Penn from defending himself in a manner consistent with that contemplated in unarmed combat due to the highly and unnaturally slippery nature of Pierre during the bout,” the document states.

Penn and his representative also allege that St. Pierre “ingested a substance that would cause his body to become highly and unnaturally slippery during the bout.”

Nurse, Jackson trainer Greg Jackson, and the unknown parties are named as co-conspirators to St. Pierre’s use of the agents.

The complaint requests numerous punishments for St. Pierre’s camp. It asks the commission to fine St. Pierre, Jackson, Nurse, and the unnamed parties up to $250,000; suspend St. Pierre’s license as well as the licenses of Jackson, Nurse, and the unnamed parties; change the result of the bout to a “no contest;” and require Pierre undergo a pre-bout shower to make sure no substances exist on his body.

St. Pierre’s manager, Sherri Spencer, had not read the document and would not comment to MMAWeekly.com until she had reviewed it.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is sad and pathetic. Even if there is any legitimacy to Penn's position, the simple fact is he got destroyed by a more skilled, better prepared, better conditioned fighter. Anyone who saw that fight knows it.

Too bad Penn can't accept it.

-Rob

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is sad and pathetic. Even if there is any legitimacy to Penn's position, the simple fact is he got destroyed by a more skilled, better prepared, better conditioned fighter. Anyone who saw that fight knows it.

-Rob
I always viewed Penn as something of an egotistical punk......this just goes to reinforce it. I did thoroughly enjoy watching him get dismantled and man-handled by St.Pierre.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd wager that he's even slipped from egotistical punk down to egotistical crybaby :rolleyes:

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd wager that he's even slipped from egotistical punk down to egotistical crybaby :rolleyes:
No kidding......even if you think this was going on, it doesn't explain the complete dominance of St. Pierre.......best to have just taken it like a man, than add what looks like a temper tantrum on to the loss.

'Oh yeah, well.......there was VASOLINE, that's why he won.....VASOLINE!'

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

-Rob
Exactly.....he got completely destroyed. It was never close. If it was a close fight the entire fight, and all that separated a win from a loss was a couple of really close submission attempts that St. Pierre slipped, he MIGHT have a point (but even then it would still seem like whining)......but it's really pathetic to anyone who watched the fight.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
this is NOT what i expected from viewing the thread title...

jf

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Exactly.....he got completely destroyed. It was never close. If it was a close fight the entire fight, and all that separated a win from a loss was a couple of really close submission attempts that St. Pierre slipped, he MIGHT have a point (but even then it would still seem like whining)......but it's really pathetic to anyone who watched the fight.
I'd have to agree on that one. Even IF the vaseline played a factor, Penn was destroyed by a better conditioned GSP.

Interestingly enough, there's nothing mentioned (so far) about a rematch. One would thnk that if this was a serious issue, Penn would ask for a rematch before the upcoming fight between GSP and Alves.

In regards to Carol's crybaby comment, it reminds me of the TUF season where Penn was a coach, and he made fun of his fighter who was crying after losing a fight.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd have to agree on that one. Even IF the vaseline played a factor, Penn was destroyed by a better conditioned GSP.

Interestingly enough, there's nothing mentioned (so far) about a rematch. One would thnk that if this was a serious issue, Penn would ask for a rematch before the upcoming fight between GSP and Alves.

In regards to Carol's crybaby comment, it reminds me of the TUF season where Penn was a coach, and he made fun of his fighter who was crying after losing a fight.

I believe that GSP has made a statement that if Penn wants another rematch, he can have it.......though both he and Penn have upcoming title defenses to take care of first.

Reaction score
this is NOT what i expected from viewing the thread title...

jf

Um, well, seeing as I used to think MMA was an abbreviation of Man on Man Action, I'm glad this isn't what I was expecting. (jk on both counts).

Seriously though, the whole Vaseline thing did make St Pierre look really bad. His corner definitely knew better. I've heard arguments from the other end who believe that the Vaseline actually may have affected the fight outcome so I can see why Penn would be so p-offed. Oh well, whatever the outcome, it's was a bad day for UFC.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Um, well, seeing as I used to think MMA was an abbreviation of Man on Man Action, I'm glad this isn't what I was expecting. (jk on both counts).

Seriously though, the whole Vaseline thing did make St Pierre look really bad. His corner definitely knew better. I've heard arguments from the other end who believe that the Vaseline actually may have affected the fight outcome so I can see why Penn would be so p-offed. Oh well, whatever the outcome, it's was a bad day for UFC.
It looks bad, but it certainly didn't effect the outcome of that thoroughly one-sided fight.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
If everyone thought GSP destroyed Penn in the last one, wait until the next time they meet. I have a feeling GSP is going to make it so lopsided that Penn won't have anything to do except lay in a hospital bed.

Penn should have kept his mouth shut. It is going to be bad for him now.

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
GSP actually offered to wear a rashguard or gi in a rematch. I have a feeling that Penn would get seriously hurt if they fight again. I know I'd be seriously pissed if someone claimed I cheated after a completely lopsided fight.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
GSP actually offered to wear a rashguard or gi in a rematch. I have a feeling that Penn would get seriously hurt if they fight again. I know I'd be seriously pissed if someone claimed I cheated after a completely lopsided fight.

He was seriously pissed...I saw an interview, that I of course can't find, where he was saying that this whole time, he hasn't trash talked Penn at all, and then the guy accuses him of cheating.

It would be different if Penn had actually fought back against him during the fight.

Reaction score
It looks bad, but it certainly didn't effect the outcome of that thoroughly one-sided fight.

That's probably true. St Pierre won both encounters and he'll more than likely win a third. But the fact that it happened and has been widely talked about made St Pierre's camp look bad. I've clinched against an opponent who was excessively "slippery" (not gonna say it was Vaseline) and that made things more difficult for me. Also, I've been told that keeping a guy in your guard is also made more difficult if they have a slippery torso.

Personally I havent' had the chance to watch that match (I have to hire things from a dvd and they're always very late). Most people who have though, believe Penn got owned. Then there's this classic gem: Penn and his representative also allege that St. Pierre “ingested a substance that would cause his body to become highly and unnaturally slippery during the bout.” Makes Penn look like a wuss, considering the trash talking persona he portrays.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's probably true. St Pierre won both encounters and he'll more than likely win a third. But the fact that it happened and has been widely talked about made St Pierre's camp look bad. I've clinched against an opponent who was excessively "slippery" (not gonna say it was Vaseline) and that made things more difficult for me. Also, I've been told that keeping a guy in your guard is also made more difficult if they have a slippery torso.

Personally I havent' had the chance to watch that match (I have to hire things from a dvd and they're always very late). Most people who have though, believe Penn got owned. Then there's this classic gem: Penn and his representative also allege that St. Pierre “ingested a substance that would cause his body to become highly and unnaturally slippery during the bout.” Makes Penn look like a wuss, considering the trash talking persona he portrays.

Yeah, that 'ingested a substance that would cause his body to become highly and unnaturally slippery during the bout' bit was CLASSIC!!! :lfao:

Seriously, is anyone familiar with any such 'substance' that one could ingest that would make you 'unnaturally' slippery?

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
well, by wednesday morning i'll probably be sweating irish cream. but i don't have gsp's six-pack either.

jf

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

No kidding! Penn should have just taken the loss like a man. He'll take a real beating next time, gi or no gi.

Latest Discussions