Yahoo: Daley moving to top of 170 heap with fists and mouth

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
01-03-2010 09:15 AM:Dustin Hazelett didn't say a whole lot before his fight against Paul Daley but someone in his camp did. As if Daley, didn't have enough motivation to score a win at UFC 108, the trash talk from Camp Hazelett, increased his hunger to land a highlight reel knockout. Boy did he ever. Daley floored Hazelett with a left hook and then put an exclamation point on the victory by bouncing his head off the canvas like a basketball with several more shots. The Brit Daley went nuts in the cage after the stoppage and started yelling at Hazelett's corner. He felt bad and apologized in the Octagon when he got the microphone from UFC color analyst Joe Rogan.

"I just went a little over with the celebration and I didn&rsquo;t think it was very respectful of Dustin after I had just knocked him out. I don&rsquo;t want everybody to hate me," Daley told Brett Okamoto of the Las Vegas Sun. "I&rsquo;d like to have a few fans."

Daley started to say the same thing during the UFC 108 postfight press conference but then his bravado took over.

"I got a little bit hyped," Daley said. "But one of his cornermen [Dorian Price] had said, &lsquo;I hope he learns some humility,' on the Countdown Show. I was basically saying, '(Expletive) your humility. I just knocked him the (expletive) out. What now?'"

Daley told the Las Vegas Sun he didn't feel sorry for sending Hazelett to the hospital:

"They get in the cage knowing what the consequences could possibly be, so I don&rsquo;t feel sorry for them," said Daley of his knockout victims. "I wouldn&rsquo;t expect them to feel sorry for me. We&rsquo;re professional sportsmen and that&rsquo;s just what can happen in our sport."

Daley (23-8-1, 2-0 UFC) has thunder in his hands and he's dangerous as long as people can't get him to the ground. UFC Dana White president said Daley needs to beat a top contender before the talk of a title shot can be broached. White said Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch are the top two guys at welterweight in the UFC. Fitch is expected to fight Thiago Alves next. Would the UFC really make Koscheck fight Daley to finally earn his rematch against Georges St. Pierre? Is that fair or have the American Kickboxing Academy fighters -- Koscheck, Fitch and Mike Swick -- made their own beds by refusing to fight one another?

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions