Back after an absence.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
How's everyone doing?

I am back after a little hiatus, and a lot of judo/tkd training. I posted something last year about getting into MMA as a TKD fighter, but my judo instructor gave me a great opportunity to start a Sport Ju Jutsu programme at our dojo. After looking at the ruleset, it is basically full contact, continuous point fighting, with judo thrown in. The closest I have seen to it here, recently, is Combat Sambo, and Pro Hapkido.

There are three phases to it in the United States Judo assoc, ruleset. First phase is striking. Leg kicks, above the knee are allowed, as well as hand strikes to the head, just not the back of the head or the face.

Phase 2 is judo. Once kumikata (grip) is made, all striking stops until the ref resets.

Phase 3 is basically bjj grappling, as there are submissions that are allowed, as long as they are not torsional, or attacking the small joints.

Now, being that I am a TKDin fighter first and formost, he figured on my teaching striking to some of our judoka.

Also, it is set up that any stylist can fight in it, not just Judoka, or JJ players, or straight strikers. all seem to have even ground in this format.

What do you guys think?

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
How's everyone doing?

I am back after a little hiatus, and a lot of judo/tkd training. I posted something last year about getting into MMA as a TKD fighter, but my judo instructor gave me a great opportunity to start a Sport Ju Jutsu programme at our dojo. After looking at the ruleset, it is basically full contact, continuous point fighting, with judo thrown in. The closest I have seen to it here, recently, is Combat Sambo, and Pro Hapkido.

There are three phases to it in the United States Judo assoc, ruleset. First phase is striking. Leg kicks, above the knee are allowed, as well as hand strikes to the head, just not the back of the head or the face.

Phase 2 is judo. Once kumikata (grip) is made, all striking stops until the ref resets.

Phase 3 is basically bjj grappling, as there are submissions that are allowed, as long as they are not torsional, or attacking the small joints.

Now, being that I am a TKDin fighter first and formost, he figured on my teaching striking to some of our judoka.

Also, it is set up that any stylist can fight in it, not just Judoka, or JJ players, or straight strikers. all seem to have even ground in this format.

What do you guys think?

Very nice!! I think all you can do to improve your TKD is worth, in fact I am doing it too, not the way you are doing it I have to say. I am taking Kenpo lesssons and even in the kenpo dojo are kick boxing and grapling lessons I only do Kenpo. I really don't like grapling and kick boxing but I am having fun and learning the hand techs of kenpo.

Wellcome back amigo.

Manny

OP
CDKJudoka

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Very nice!! I think all you can do to improve your TKD is worth, in fact I am doing it too, not the way you are doing it I have to say. I am taking Kenpo lesssons and even in the kenpo dojo are kick boxing and grapling lessons I only do Kenpo. I really don't like grapling and kick boxing but I am having fun and learning the hand techs of kenpo.

Wellcome back amigo.

Manny

Very cool!! I train a little bit of kenpo (kajukenbo) as well. What lineage of kenpo do you train in.

And thanks for the welcome back hermano!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is always good to have an old member find their way back. I always liked your input.

OP
CDKJudoka

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The main reasoning behind it, as it is, isn't really for competition, as we already have enough judo competitors, including myself, but sensei wants to start teaching the r3@l Judo. Basically, he is sick of seeing what judo competitions have turned into, and would like to start teaching judo as Kano Sensei did. So that means striking and self defence. That isn't going to be taken away from our judo programme, but will implement a lot of it.

Thanks for the welcome back.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very cool!! I train a little bit of kenpo (kajukenbo) as well. What lineage of kenpo do you train in.

And thanks for the welcome back hermano!

Well,about the lineaje mmmmm...... my sensei is a student of sensei Hernan Carrasco (5th degree black belt),sensei Carrasco brought kenpo directly form Pasadena he was student from Ed Parker,Frank Trejo and Skip Hancock. My sensei teaches the IKKA way and sensei Carrasco uses ther Kenpo 2000 from Skip Hancock,once a year sensei Hancock comes to impart seminars.

I have developed a nice relationship with sensei Carrasco who is considered the father of the kenpo in Mexico.

I am having fun and learning new things and techs in Kenpo and definetively it is helping my TKD and yes I will love to learn some basic judo techs too.

Manny

Latest Discussions