Ax kick

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well the axe kick has three major ways to throw it the streching ax kick, the moving ax kick with the knee slightly bent and delivering the blow on a downward moving inwards toward your opponet area and the defensive ax kick to get your oponet to move in the direction you what them to go for the set up kick.
How do you cmbined the ax kick in your training.
Terry

Good stuff Terry, you're making me come out of the shadows here. :) :asian:

There's a couple of ways that I was taught to set mine up. Standing left side forward, front kick off of the rear leg to hope the opponent drops the lead or that the kick lands and they bend over. Re-chamber and throw the ax kick to the head or collar bone.

The other way is done in the same fashion just throwing a left lead or step through then ax kick off of the rear leg.

I've also used it (very seldom) by standing right side forward, pushing off of the right leg, jumping forward while tucking the left leg upward to gain momentum, then executing the ax while in the air. This lets me cover more distance.

I prefer to throw it from a clinch, jumping back. It's very effective for me. I've seen those who can throw it from fighting stance and connect, but even though I have good range and power, mine's too slow.

again im not a TKDer anymore so feel free to ignore my post! (and sorry for the intrusion)
we use this kick either to break something that's laying across, or more generally to kick the head coming up not down. An instance of a perfect setting for this kick is you have the opponent's head in your hands pulled down. Release the kick to hit the nose for example.
We believe kicking hight makes you unstable and make you volunerable to getting up-rooted, so we never kick if we dont have complete control over the opponent.

mantis said:
again im not a TKDer anymore so feel free to ignore my post! (and sorry for the intrusion)
we use this kick either to break something that's laying across, or more generally to kick the head coming up not down. An instance of a perfect setting for this kick is you have the opponent's head in your hands pulled down. Release the kick to hit the nose for example.
We believe kicking hight makes you unstable and make you volunerable to getting up-rooted, so we never kick if we dont have complete control over the opponent.

Mantis you are a welcome member here please post all contribution is welcome with me anyway.
Terry

jfarnsworth said:

There's a couple of ways that I was taught to set mine up. Standing left side forward, front kick off of the rear leg to hope the opponent drops the lead or that the kick lands and they bend over. Re-chamber and throw the ax kick to the head or collar bone.

The other way is done in the same fashion just throwing a left lead or step through then ax kick off of the rear leg.

I've also used it (very seldom) by standing right side forward, pushing off of the right leg, jumping forward while tucking the left leg upward to gain momentum, then executing the ax while in the air. This lets me cover more distance.

Thanks Jason just trying to find out more way to do stuff, I figure with all the knowledge here it can only help me help my students. Your talking about a double axe kick when re-chambering correct, we are tryingto teach that kick to our advance students over the last couple of months.
Thanks
Terry

Yes definately used as a double kick, front snap/ax off of the same leg or alt. legs.

I should say thrown as a single kick can work and will work well as we all know. Being smaller in stature as myself I've found throwing more combo's help me out better than being able to land one hard kick by standing there.

how do TKDers defend against kicks?
including both low kicks (at shin, groin, knee..)
and high kicks

I don't know if there's any real way to describe that in written text. Some of the stuff discussed on the board is better done when we're all in the same room.

no i mean if you know names of techniques
like outward block, some special stance.. just name anything. i am googling all I read here to know what you guys are talking about btw!

Well if it's low I would just raise my lead leg. If it's high I move either inside or move up the circle with a block depending on the kick thrown. I don't chase or block anything that's not going to hit me anyway. Probe by moving in an out on the balls of your feet. This way you can move in and out safely and quickly. Try sweeping the posting leg with either a spin sweep or drop straight down to sweep with the rear foot. Block hard then strike immediately. Sometimes the best offense is a good defense.

Being such a general question does make it difficult to answer. I'm not sure I can give you anything to google. We have many blocks that we use for kicks coming from different angles. Such as kali makki - high and low kick block, arae makki - low block and so on. The blocks can be executed from several different stances. The multitude of combiinations between blocks and stances will determine which you would use. But blocks aside, we tend to defend against kicks by evading or idealy, striking first. In TKD, the best defense is a good offense. Keep in mind, any practitioner from any school will answer differently.

I just read Jason's post. See what I mean?

jfarnsworth said:

that's the way i prefer the axe kick myself.

Besides, the best defense and offense is to be unpredictable to everything!

An axe is a good tool for flexible people. One way to use it:

Front leg, fake inside crescent, then axe kick with the back leg or just chamber and go in for a side kick. TW

Ax kick is one which we unfortunately don't practice as much as we should (I am only speaking from my dojang's perspective).

We generally use a rear leg ax kick defensively-say you and your opponent are in closed position (i.e. belly buttons facing different directions) and he throws rear leg roundhouse to your flank. You counter with a defensive rear leg ax kick. In my example, both opponent and you are kicking with the same leg (for sake of example, it is right leg). Ax kick should be faster than rear leg round since it is more linear.

As mentioned, if you are in a clinch, a rear leg ax kick works well-especially since it is coming from outside the opponent's peripheral vision.

Jason mentioned front leg ax kicks-these we teach as an offensive movement-usually off the line. The problem is that it is pretty easy for most people to evade to the side and counter with a rear leg roundhouse. If you have super footwork, you can who-jin backward and hit someone advancing on you with a front leg ax, but it is really hard.

Do you teach/learn to throw ax kick in these variations: inside-to-outside, outside to inside, and with a knee snap?

Miles

I do my axe kick like this: I chamber as if I'm doing a front kick then straighten my leg and drop my heal down on the target (doesn't matter which leg). I mostly use it for breaking. I don't use it for sparring for safety reasons.

My prior instructor was big on using the 'hop to axe kick' with the front leg to close distance, with the heel aimed at the chest or shoulders.. As a result, I tend to do this one by bending the leg as I come up and then straightening it as I come down into the target, the entire motion is straight forward..

Another variation I like is to swing from the outside and come straight down the middle, but mostly as a distraction and once my kick leg is down it plants and I throw a spinning back kick or side kick. So the ax kick is mostly a diversion to gain distance and to get mmy opponent to back up a little, not realizing that I'm just setting myself up for a kick with a lot more range. (I'll do this either from the front or the rear leg)

I don't use the axe kick any more. Executing a jump axe kick is how I tore some muscle in my thigh from the bone. Serious enough to limit me in some respects and require months of rehabilitating myself, but not serious enough to require surgery to "fix" it. I had been using the kick for 4 years, so it wasn't me just learning the kick and being stupid.

Be veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery careful with executing this kick.

i'ved used the ax kick alot. I find it more useful if the opponet throws a round kick...i've knocked plenty of guys down with this teq. When the oppoent throws a round kick at you, spinning ax kick, bam, they cant get out *unless their super quick*

Back