Augmented/Supported Blocks

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is the issue that some forms are not created as a logical sequence.
Again, only with regard to my Chang Ho experience. One of the stated purposes (although not strictly followed) is that the forms are designed to practice both sides equally. No one would think that a confrontation would follow such a "Logical" sequence.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How do you mean? The lack of reference to the stance?

Your point about it being something other than a block intrigues me, and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter. You're thinking maybe it's a strike with the palmheel? That's an interesting thought. Maybe you're pulling your villainous opponent into you while striking the cad with your palm?

I mean that a stance is an integral part of a technique. A technique explanation is incomplete without explaining how to use the stance to enable or assist the arms.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I mean that a stance is an integral part of a technique. A technique explanation is incomplete without explaining how to use the stance to enable or assist the arms.

I think I see. So you're not referring to T7 specifically, but really all the Kukkiwon forms? I.e., Kukkiwon textbook doesn't explain how the stances pertain to the upper body movements.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think I see. So you're not referring to T7 specifically, but really all the Kukkiwon forms? I.e., Kukkiwon textbook doesn't explain how the stances pertain to the upper body movements.

To be honest, I feel the explanation for the motions is something lacking in Taekwondo from what I've seen. I think Karate looks into it a lot more than Taekwondo does. I've heard of Bunkai as the Japanese term for examining the application of a form, but I've not heard of a similar discipline in Taekwondo. Also, most of the "Practical Application of the _____ Technique" searches I do mostly find Karate guys, not Taekwondo guys. This is why I brought up applications of the poomsae in my post in the thread "what would you change about Taekwondo".

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

T7 is about as far as I went learning TKD forms. Perhaps the more modern ones that come later have better application built in, but the older forms are just karate looking dances.

My sons Yusool instructor told me he's seen recordings of the single weekend in which the (I think) taeguk forms were thrown together.

They should be dropped In favour of the Ashihara karate forms or something similar. Loose the pretence of a pre-20th century foundation and Base everything on modern fighting and self defence strategy.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
T7 is about as far as I went learning TKD forms. Perhaps the more modern ones that come later have better application built in, but the older forms are just karate looking dances.

My sons Yusool instructor told me he's seen recordings of the single weekend in which the (I think) taeguk forms were thrown together.

They should be dropped In favour of the Ashihara karate forms or something similar. Loose the pretence of a pre-20th century foundation and Base everything on modern fighting and self defence strategy.

I think it's funny, because my Master has the opposite criticism of the Taegeuks. That they have the modern sporting stance that's more useful for point sparring and less powerful in self defense. This is why we do the Palgwe forms with deeper stances at our school.

Although I see both sides of it. If i'm going to learn something more modern, then I'd rather it BE more modern than be something in the middle.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it's funny, because my Master has the opposite criticism of the Taegeuks. That they have the modern sporting stance that's more useful for point sparring and less powerful in self defense. This is why we do the Palgwe forms with deeper stances at our school.

Although I see both sides of it. If i'm going to learn something more modern, then I'd rather it BE more modern than be something in the middle.

The walking stance came about long before sport karate. There are a bunch of virtually unknown karate kata designed to be a new set of beginner forms that use it. I think they were from the 40s. The Taeguk remind me of those.

Latest Discussions