Assistance please

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by KenpoTess

Jeff, This just started for me a couple of days ago.. nothing changed ..so it's a conundrum~!

You are correct there...I was just comparing apples to apples...very strange! :(

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok...
couple of thoughts here:

What type of connection do you have?
(Cable, DSL, Dialup?)

Can you install and try a different browser? I'd recomend Mozilla myself.

There is nothing installed here that would (should) cause a problem.

My gut says its something particular with your copy of IE thats doing 'something'.

Some other points of note:
IWON is spyware.
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg00105.html

Spyware is notorious for making systems slugish. I only had time to do a little reading, but if its sending a lot of information, that would bog things down.

I'd recomend a full virus scan with the latest dats for your software, followed by a full backup, and then a dep spyware scan and removal. (Note: while I haven't had any problems myself, recently I've heard of 2 systems hosed when they tried to remove spyware because of how deep that crap had gotten in the system)

If you are not already, make certain you have a good firewall software running. I recomend Zone Alarm as it catched both incoming and outgoing stuff. (Thats how I found out ElfBowling was spyware.)

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tess,

This is a definitely a problem with your particular PC and not MT itself as no-one else is having a problem, so that's established. On a big thread there are a lot of tables to parse and mess around with, so it should take up more resources, but certainly not 100%!

Don't worrk about the RAM usage (~45Mb) so much, it's the processor usage that's worrying. As Kaith suggested, try it with another browser (www.opera.com).

I can only suggest again that you re-install IE from scratch and hope the problem goes away...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.asp

If all else fails then re-installing Windows is almost guaranteed to kill the problem, but that's a bit drastic.

Ian.

K

kenpo2dabone

Just a FYI... if you hold your ALT key down when you are doing screen prints it will only print the active window instead of all the open windows. It will automatically blow up that window to maximum screen size and make things easier to read. It looks like you were doing this in the beginning with your first few screen shotshots or maybe you just had those screens maximized but then you stopped. I just thought I would share that with you for next time. It will make things a little easier to read. It sounds like you got a solution that works.

Salute,
Mike Miller UKF

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo2dabone
Just a FYI... if you hold your ALT key down when you are doing screen prints it will only print the active window instead of all the open windows.

Salute,
Mike Miller UKF

Thanks Mike, yeah I got frustrated with IE acting up.. and didn't bother with the screenshot issue .. seems to be all in order now .. :)

Tess

K

kenpo2dabone

If you want to get rid of spyware this is free and one of the best aplications I have found. It was editors choice for PC Magazine. Boy that makes me sound like a geek don't it. The best thing is that it is free. Here is the link... Just choose one of the downloads in the middle portion of the page tword the bottom. It works well and is user friendly.

http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

You would be surprised at how much spyware is on your PC and the effects it can have on it as well.

Salute,
Mike Miller UKF

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For spy- and adware, I use a combo of Lavasoft's Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy. Both are free downloads.

Cthulhu

Latest Discussions