Assistance please

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yesterday my computer started glitching only on MT.. I'm running a 2.4 Ghz system, with win 2000 Pro. When first logging into MT, all's fine, then after perusing a couple of forums, it bogs down so badly and takes forever to scroll to the bottom of a page. I've cleaned out Temp files, History, cookies, scanned defragged and even did a repair on my OS this morning. It's only on this site :( I can go to my Morrowind gaming forum and it's fine.. even though it's basically the same format at MT. When checking my resources while on MT, it's at 100 % CPU usage.. and only integral to the OS operations are running in the background..
I am baffled as to why this should just start yesterday.. I've done virus scan, worm scan, etc. nada.. all is well in that area..
Any help would be most appreciated!~!

Thanks in advance

Tess

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
See what Applications are running first; then you can go to Processes to see what us using your Memory.

Reboot, as I am sure you did, after repairing the OS. Are you running Service Pack 3 or Service Pack 4 on your Windows 2000 Pro? If you recently went to SP-4, there may be some issues.

J

jeffkyle

Since you have WIN 2000 PRO.....
You can go to your "Event Viewer" and check and see if there is anything there that may help. There are 3 different options there; Application, Security, and System. Sometimes they will tell you something useful usually marked with a big red X. :)

K

kenpo2dabone

Which Browser and what version are you useing. If you are using IE try upgrading to the latest version, if you are not on it already, via www.Microsfot.com You should be on IE 6.0 with all the patches. You can check what version you are on by opening Explorer clicking on Help and then About Internet Exploerer. It will tell you the version and which sevrice packs you have curently. If you are using Netscape... sorry don't know much about it. You may have inadvertantly disbaled cookies or javascripting or who knows.

Salute,
Mike Miller UKF

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Theres nothing 'client side' running from here unless youre in the chat room.

Try the other huys advice, and I'll think on this in the mean time. :confused:

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That sounds like Windows being ridiculous, as usual.

Go to MT, wait for the error, press ctrl+alt+del, click the 'processes' tab then click 'CPU' and see what pops to the top (using 99% CPU).

If it's iexplore.exe then I should try re-installing IE, that might fix it. Very odd that it would just be one site though...

Ian.

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not sure what it is ... I'm using IE 6.0.2800.1106 Update version SP 1.. one update I attempted failed on the Microsoft site.. go figure.. when I look at processes.. IE is taking up over 48,000 K to run.. not too good I think.. I'll keep tweaking.. thanks for the assistance :)

Tess

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by KenpoTess
Yesterday my computer started glitching only on MT.. I'm running a 2.4 Ghz system, with win 2000 Pro. When first logging into MT, all's fine, then after perusing a couple of forums, it bogs down so badly and takes forever to scroll to the bottom of a page. I've cleaned out Temp files, History, cookies, scanned defragged and even did a repair on my OS this morning. It's only on this site :( I can go to my Morrowind gaming forum and it's fine.. even though it's basically the same format at MT. When checking my resources while on MT, it's at 100 % CPU usage.. and only integral to the OS operations are running in the background..
I am baffled as to why this should just start yesterday.. I've done virus scan, worm scan, etc. nada.. all is well in that area..
Any help would be most appreciated!~!

Thanks in advance

Tess

You Black Belt now! You fix!;)

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ok on fresh boot this morning.. I perused MT... it was nearly impossible to scroll down through threads..
took a screen shot of my resources.

Attachments

• $mt.jpg
    $mt.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 239
OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I, then wandered over to yahoo and took a screen shot.

I've done everything but kick my puter ~!! *WG*

And Ricky... you're such a big help ~!

Attachments

• $yahoo.jpg
    $yahoo.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 230
K

Kirk

Click on the processes tab, and give us a screen shot of that.

Initially, I'd try the updates again, after a fresh reboot.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by KenpoTess
It only seems to suck my resources when I'm on a big thread.. how weird is this

EXTREMELY!!!!!! But intriguing as all heck!

On the MT processes, you posted a screen cap of it scrolled down.
Can you post one of it scrolled at the top?

Sorry to ask for so much, it's just that this is a perplexing one!

J

jeffkyle

I don't know what the problem is...it works fine for me! :D:D:D

Seriously though....I went to a big thread and I did the same thing, and my IE didn't even get past 00. I have Win 2000 Pro as well with IE 6.0.2800.1106 SP1.

That is a very strange problem. :(

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here ya go Kirk, Seig got home from work.. sorry bout the delay..

:)

IE is back up to 45K running..

Jeff, This just started for me a couple of days ago.. nothing changed ..so it's a conundrum~!

Attachments

• $processes4.jpg
    $processes4.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 230

Latest Discussions